*Baby Corner*

5,208 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
so, i took zaid back to the ped today and his ear is still a lil infected but a few more days of the amoxycillin should clear it up...the doctor decided we should get him on nutramigen made by enfamil, its a hypoallergenic lactose free formula for babies with collic, and i said it was fine, but when i got to the store and saw it was 30 dollars for the small can of powder i nearly shat myself...there is no way i can afford that, zaid goes thru that can in 2.5 sometimes 2 days...that would be exceeding 100$ a week...so, i called back, and he said to try enfamil gentleease which is a lil better at 17.99 a can...so, he has had two feeding of it soo far, no bad reactions, no spitting up, and he is now sitting in his swing talkin to himself...ill see how the next few days go..

Kelly- Ayman's doctor put him on the Nutramigen formula as well. The price is outrageous for a can half the normal size. He's like a totally different baby on that stuff, but now that he is up to eating 6oz every 4 hours he's eating us out of house and home. We go next Friday for his 2 month check up and I'm going to ask them to recommend something cheaper.

On another note....I'm soooooooo not looking forward to my little baby getting stuck with needles next week. Good thing is he gets them on Friday so we have the weekend to pamper him. Bad thing is I will have to go back to work that day, but I'm trying to get my hubby to take the day off so he can stay with him.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

carrie, why did the doc want him on nutramigen? i know alot of babies get on it for milk allergies, but zaid didnt have that.....well let me know...the gentleease still seems to be making a difference, the babies poops today were kinda runny but i figure thats just from switching formula in general...

today was my first day back to work, 9 hours away from the lil man...i couldnt wait to get home to love him and alas, he is passed out...i think daddy is exhausted from today...well at least now he knows how i feel...i do have my sis in law watching him 2 or 3 days a week now, so daddy will only have him 2 whole days...the best part is my sis in law will only charge me 15$ a day...cant beat that!!

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

TracyLuis and KS7...--I know it is so hard to have to go back to work after baby (or in my case babies). I was also the breadwinner in our family and my husband started law school part time and was a stay at home dad for our twins. It was very hard on my to go back to work, but I made it through the school year (I'm on summer break now).

Some great things that came out of it is that I'm sure that DH is closer to the girls than he otherwise would have been. I think that this has been really valuable for DH as he basically has no relationship with his father. Also, the girls were able to hear more Korean this way and most of their 'words' are Korean right now. Also, my parents helped out with childcare once a week and the girls have developed a very close relationship with them as well.

I know that this is not possible for everyone, but one thing that helped m was pumping for/breastfeeding my daughters because I knew I was doing something important for them while I was at work.

If I had been able to stay home, I would have done it, but I think that things worked out well regardless. I have a strong relationship with my daughters and we chose the option that was best for our family at this time and in this place. I think it also helped to know that my mom was always a working mom and that she did a good job balancing work and family life although things were even harder when she was working.

autumnchik--Thanks. I had a rough start to breastfeeding and supplemented with formula in the beginning. I do regret not getting professional help from a lactation consultant, but I was able to tough it out and fully breastfeed/pump for my girls. I hope that you aren't stubborn like me and have sought help if you need it.

Kristi

Edited by KJandSH

Kristi and Seung-ho (U.S. / S. Korea)

.png

.png

Timeline
carrie, why did the doc want him on nutramigen? i know alot of babies get on it for milk allergies, but zaid didnt have that.....well let me know...the gentleease still seems to be making a difference, the babies poops today were kinda runny but i figure thats just from switching formula in general...

today was my first day back to work, 9 hours away from the lil man...i couldnt wait to get home to love him and alas, he is passed out...i think daddy is exhausted from today...well at least now he knows how i feel...i do have my sis in law watching him 2 or 3 days a week now, so daddy will only have him 2 whole days...the best part is my sis in law will only charge me 15$ a day...cant beat that!!

She put him on it for Colic. He was having a hard time digesting his food. He was also having horrendous gas (more than a normal baby) and pooping was a major ordeal. He would scrunch all up while screaming at the same time. Ayman's poops were runny when we first switched too. Now they vary and he also only poops once a day. When he starts starts having a hard time, I give him a little baby apple juice (1/3 juice 2/3 water) and within minutes he's cleaning house, if ya know what I mean. He's been on it for almost a month now. He's a totally different baby since we switched the formula. But, I'm going to ask his Dr next week about maybe switching to the Gentlease or something since the Nutramigen is so expensive. It's costing us a small fortune just to feed him.

You are lucky on the childcare. I start back work on Monday and Ayman is going to a in-home daycare and it cost $200/wk. She's a nice older lady who's been doing it for 20+ years, state certified, gives tax forms etc, and one of her part-time helpers works with my hubby. Best part is she is only 1 mile from our house.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

For the ladies that are finding the formula expensive have you looked into the WIC program? Dylan was put on similac alimentum when he was first born as he also had terrible gas and colic The doctor wrote a perscription for the alimentum and WIC supplied the formula about eight or so cans a month

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
For the ladies that are finding the formula expensive have you looked into the WIC program? Dylan was put on similac alimentum when he was first born as he also had terrible gas and colic The doctor wrote a perscription for the alimentum and WIC supplied the formula about eight or so cans a month

Isn't the WIC program based on your income? How do you go about getting it???

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline

wic is based on income, and i believe for a family of three in illinois you cant make over about 32k a year....which we do...

i think im just gonna get zaid on the nutramigen, he still has waaaay too much gas for a lil baby, and, still has crying fits, the fits dont last long, so i dont think its bad colic, but alas, i can tell that regular formula is just tooo hard on his tummy...

carrie ayman is such a baldy compared to zaid!! lol..hes too precious! 200$ a week for in home si not bad...i found a lady around here who will do in home for 15$ a day...CANT BEAT THAT...tomorrow he is going to my sis in laws from 11-7, daddy will pick him up at night, then come get me from work...poor sofyan needs a break...plus he will have him all day saturday so...he will need it...my doc has never mentioned the apple juice...oh btw...was ayman spitting up? or was it just bad gas?

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

in minnesota for a family of three you can't make over $50, 000 or slighty more i belive trust me we are not poor but by no means rich. I could be wrong as i think they recently increased the limit. look online for wic in your state

Chrissy UK (Yorkshire) John USA (Minnesota)

20/July/05 Married in Las Vegas!!

AOS approved April 12th 2006!!

4/01/08 mailed I-751 to Nebraska

4/3/08 package arrives at Nebraska

4/11/08 check cashed

4/14/08 recieved NOA extension letter

4/26/08 recieved biometrics appointment letter plus it looks like our case has been forwarded to California!

5/02/08 Biometrics scheduled

5/02/08 Biometrics completed in 10 mins!

Woo Hoo....8/28/08 Recieved 10yr Greencard in mail, no approved email!! We are done!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
wic is based on income, and i believe for a family of three in illinois you cant make over about 32k a year....which we do...

i think im just gonna get zaid on the nutramigen, he still has waaaay too much gas for a lil baby, and, still has crying fits, the fits dont last long, so i dont think its bad colic, but alas, i can tell that regular formula is just tooo hard on his tummy...

carrie ayman is such a baldy compared to zaid!! lol..hes too precious! 200$ a week for in home si not bad...i found a lady around here who will do in home for 15$ a day...CANT BEAT THAT...tomorrow he is going to my sis in laws from 11-7, daddy will pick him up at night, then come get me from work...poor sofyan needs a break...plus he will have him all day saturday so...he will need it...my doc has never mentioned the apple juice...oh btw...was ayman spitting up? or was it just bad gas?

I thought it was that way and I make more than that alone.

The nutramigen stinks and it's expensive, but I have to say, it has worked well for Ayman. He still has gas a lot, but at least now he doesn't scream and crunch his stomach while doing so. Ayman was not just spitting up, but he was vomiting as well before. What formula did Zaid start out on? Ayman was on the Nestle Good Start (orange can) before we switched.

Yes, he is a baldy compared to everyone else, but he really does have hair. It's just very light. I was hoping he would take after his father and have nice olive skin with dark hair and maybe green eyes, but NOPE...he take after his mommy and has fair skin, dirty blonde hair and big blue eyes.

You're lucky to have someone so cheap.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline
in minnesota for a family of three you can't make over $50, 000 or slighty more i belive trust me we are not poor but by no means rich. I could be wrong as i think they recently increased the limit. look online for wic in your state

In GA you must have an income at or below 185% of US Poverty Income Guidelines; be a state resident; and be at nutritional or medical risk, as determined by a health professional.

That counts us out....that sucks!

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

In GA you must have an income at or below 185% of US Poverty Income Guidelines; be a state resident; and be at nutritional or medical risk, as determined by a health professional.

That counts us out....that sucks!

WEll, being at nutritional risk is a definition that everybody kinda sees different. If you cannot afford the formula for your child but that is the only formula your infant can digest THEN that child - to me - is at nutritional risk. What else is it going to eat? I would just call and see if there's any way they can enroll you. We're on the wic programm here in TX (and we were in NC too) and it saves us about 60 Dollars a month since milk is one big part on it. If they pay for the formula, I would go for it and at least try to get enrolled.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Here's a chart of the 185% of the poverty guidelines in order to be eligible for WIC http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/incomeguidelines.htm

For a family of 3 you'd have to make or be below 32,560 Dollars a year.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Timeline

carrie, see thats kinda why im uneasy about getting zaid on nutramigen, he has NEVER spit up or vomited, and he poops everyday, it was just the bad gas...I dont want him on a lactose free formula because i want him to be able to drink cows milk at 12 months...and i feel if i did put him on completely lactose free he will have a hard time drinking cows milk...ahh, maybe ill stay on this Gentle ease stuff for a few more days (its specifically for fussy/gassy babies) and see how its going....he is doing alot better on it...

ditto on the baby looking like you...although, zaid has the black hair, his eyes are big and blue, and he has my profile completely to the T...its funny, i wouldnt be surprised if he starts leading more towards sofyan in a few months tho...those arabian genes are too strong!

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png