trailmix

Oh Christmas Tree

70 posts in this topic

I love this thread!! I can't figure out how to get a pic off my computer into this reply though. Any help?

So anyway, I wondered where all the icicles/tinsel have gone over the years and found this on wikipedia...

Strands of tinsel may be hung in groups from longer branches to simulate icicles, though this trend has gradually fallen off since the late 1970s, due primarily to a cessation of the manufacture of metal tinsel because of environmental concerns. This was replaced with silvered saran based tinsel, which many have found to be unsatisfactory, leading to the demise of tinsel in tree decorating in the United States (it remains popular in many European countries).

I haven't seen it in stores in Wisconsin for a very long time. My dog used to eat it when I was a kid and then decorate the yard with it :P . I guess that's why I thought it was a safety issue.

When you reply to a thread just under the message box you're writing in, is a "Browse", and "Upload" button...click on browse to find the pictures you want to upload, and one by one, upload the pictures. After you've typed in what you want, just click on submit post, like you'd normally do, and the pictures will be inserted into the message.

I remember having cats eat the tinsel, and for several weeks, they'd be walking around with their tails in the air, and a single stream of tinsel coming out their butts! :lol:

I love tinsel. I think even the silver saran based tinsel is nice! It reflects the lights so beautifully.

Growing up, we had Angel Hair on our tree. Only our parents could put it on...and with gloves at that! It always looked like candy floss to me...but I think it was fiberglass insulation material! :o

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well we decided against a tree seeing as we'll be away this year, but I used a photo paperweight thingy to display my ornaments this year. So many of them were made by friends and remind me so much of home that I had to dig them out and display them somehow.. :)

100_2319.jpg

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Well we decided against a tree seeing as we'll be away this year, but I used a photo paperweight thingy to display my ornaments this year. So many of them were made by friends and remind me so much of home that I had to dig them out and display them somehow.. :)

100_2319.jpg

Ooooooooooooooo that's lovely! I love quirkly little things like this! That is SO cute!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

100_2319.jpg

I'm loving this!!! So pretty!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline
I love this thread!! I can't figure out how to get a pic off my computer into this reply though. Any help?

I haven't seen it in stores in Wisconsin for a very long time. My dog used to eat it when I was a kid and then decorate the yard with it :P . I guess that's why I thought it was a safety issue.

When you reply to a thread just under the message box you're writing in, is a "Browse", and "Upload" button...click on browse to find the pictures you want to upload, and one by one, upload the pictures. After you've typed in what you want, just click on submit post, like you'd normally do, and the pictures will be inserted into the message.

I remember having cats eat the tinsel, and for several weeks, they'd be walking around with their tails in the air, and a single stream of tinsel coming out their butts! :lol:

I love tinsel. I think even the silver saran based tinsel is nice! It reflects the lights so beautifully.

Growing up, we had Angel Hair on our tree. Only our parents could put it on...and with gloves at that! It always looked like candy floss to me...but I think it was fiberglass insulation material! :o

Carla (F)

Okay, that's just wrong. :lol:

CBR, go to www.imageshack.us and click on "Browse". Choose the pic you want to upload then hit "Host It!". Scroll down to "Hotlink for Forums (1)", copy the text, then paste it directly into your post. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Carla, your tree is pretty much a perfect shape! What a nice tree and I love the village/train set, looks lovely. Emancipation that is so cute, I really like that idea.

I can't believe they would stop making tinsel due to environmental concerns, when does anyone ever do anything based on the impact on the environment lol. Methinks some tree hugger wrote that.

This newer type tinsel doesn't hang as well as the old and it gets static, which seems to have righted itself, otherwise I was going to spray it with static guard.

Luckily my cat is not interested in the tree at all!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We don't do xmas.

However

My mother in Canada does.

She sent us what will probably be an xmas care-package type thing.

So, we put my 2 decorations on our tallest plant and put all her packages underneath.

The 2 decorations were made for me by a woman who granted me a number of hours of interview time towards a paper I was doing for school at the time. I keep them for no other reason than to remember her kindness and patience toward me.

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

We don't do xmas.

However

My mother in Canada does.

She sent us what will probably be an xmas care-package type thing.

So, we put my 2 decorations on our tallest plant and put all her packages underneath.

The 2 decorations were made for me by a woman who granted me a number of hours of interview time towards a paper I was doing for school at the time. I keep them for no other reason than to remember her kindness and patience toward me.

What a lovely reason for keeping them...and sharing! Thanks!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to TARGET!! I LOVE THAT STORE!! We picked up this little beauty last night for 75% off. She was regularly $260 and we got it for $62! If you are without any sort of Christmas stuff - cards, trees, ornaments, etc. GET THYSELF to the 75% off sale on RIGHT now (started yesterday)!! :)

100_2458.jpg

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.