Mags

Pets as hand baggage?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay, I move to the USA next month and am taking my cats with me. I have two of them and am looking into taking them as hand baggage on my Delta flight, rather than them going in the cargo hold. Less stressful.

My son is coming with me too, so we plan on taking one each...

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? How did you get through airport security? Did you have to take the cats out of the carrier(s)? I just find this a little strange, that you check in for your flight...and then spend the next 2 hours wandering round the airport with two cats in a bag! :lol:

After having to spoken to a Delta employee he reasuures me that my cats do not need to have a "fit to fly certificate" as they are hand luggage and not going in the hold. Did anyone else manage this? Is this correct? Sometimes I don't trust these damn employees..... :P

What type of carriers did you use? I'm considering these:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dep...&pf_id=1406

Any stories and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Any tips would be great too!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The carriers are cute, but I'm not sure about them being carried on as hand baggage. I've flown all over the world for years now and actually I've never seen animals on the plane. What happens when the animals goes to the bathroom? Or worse, what if there is someone that is highly allergic to cats on the plane? Have you tried contacting the airline? I'm sure they can give you more insight on this. :star:

Okay, I move to the USA next month and am taking my cats with me. I have two of them and am looking into taking them as hand baggage on my Delta flight...

Yeah, but how much stuff could you possibly get inside a cat. I suggest a travel bag. LOL

:lol::lol::lol: I'll pay that one

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Are you absolutely sure you can take them as hand-baggage? I was reading over the Delta website and they say 'Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $50 (to be collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States (except Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.'.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...tions/index.jsp

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

mags

I never knew that any pets were allowed as carry-on items. I checked Delta's website and the information given to you is *ALMOST* correct. Personally, I don't like the idea of having animals on board the aircraft. As others have pointed out, what happens if someone is allergic or your pet needs the bathroom? I think you will be travelling from the UK, so your flight is going to be atleast around 8 hours, thats a long time!

It depends on the State you are travelling to if you need a health certificate or not. Some states require it, so you need to get this info from the state you will be travelling to. If you will be changing flights that include other airlines, will they take your pets on board? I am very surprised that Delta do this but very few other airlines (if at all) will allow this. I have been travelling since I was 2 months old! Never seen a pet on a flight.

On Delta, your pet will count as one piece of hand luggage and they must fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.

Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge, and for the duration of the flight onboard the aircraft and you may not carry on more than one pet.

Also, there will be a charge of I think atleast around $100 for each pet (you can only carry one but as you say, your son can carry the other) but I am **NOT** sure on this, check with Delta Pet Travel Options

Jahan.

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

I've seen someone carry a pet on a short internal flight but not long haul. Are you sure they would let you take a cat long haul in such a tiny bag? I know the regulations for pets in cargo are very strict with the size of the crate etc. That bag seems way too small for a long haul flight plus all the waiting around. If you check the BE website there are loads of Brits who have brought their pets over.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
Are you absolutely sure you can take them as hand-baggage? I was reading over the Delta website and they say 'Your pet can travel with you in the cabin for a one-way fee of $50 (to be collected at check-in) when traveling within the United States (except Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.'.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...tions/index.jsp

Yes, but I'm flying from the UK. I spoke to a UK Delta emplyee. Cabin=hand baggage.

Okay, I move to the USA next month and am taking my cats with me. I have two of them and am looking into taking them as hand baggage on my Delta flight...

Yeah, but how much stuff could you possibly get inside a cat. I suggest a travel bag. LOL

You'd be surprised......one of my animals eats anything.... :lol::lol:

mags

I never knew that any pets were allowed as carry-on items. I checked Delta's website and the information given to you is *ALMOST* correct. Personally, I don't like the idea of having animals on board the aircraft. As others have pointed out, what happens if someone is allergic or your pet needs the bathroom? I think you will be travelling from the UK, so your flight is going to be atleast around 8 hours, thats a long time!

The idea is that you don't feed them for at least 4 hours before hand. That way...they are mostly "out of juice".

8 hours is also a long time stuck in a dark and very noisy cargo hold too. At least if I can talk to them and touch them through the carrier they can be somewhat reassured. Plus, there is no handling by vets, which is done at both ends if they fly via cargo/in the hold.

Also, there will be a charge of I think atleast around $100 for each pet (you can only carry one but as you say, your son can carry the other) but I am **NOT** sure on this, check with Delta Pet Travel Options

Jahan.

It's $50 per pet, payable at the check in desk.

Everything I have quoted in my first post was told to me by a Delta employee and is backed up on the website. I'm really just looking for anybody who has had experience of doing this themselves. That way I can weigh up the pros and cons myself.

Thanks guys.

:)

Edited by mags

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I thought there was a thread on this before. I thought a pet can be carried on in state flights only. Do some more checking mags, this info from the Delta employee just doesn't sound correct.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline
I thought there was a thread on this before. I thought a pet can be carried on in state flights only. Do some more checking mags, this info from the Delta employee just doesn't sound correct.

I will, I might phone them again and see what a different employee says.....

I also found this quote from a previous thread, which is what started me onto this whole idea:

My cat travelled with me in the cabin from London to Chicago. I flew United and they allowed my cat to sit on my lap in a 'Sherpa Bag' and I paid about £50 excess baggage. I would have been uncomfortable if he'd been in the hold underneath. As it was, we both had a decent flight helped by the fact that I had a pet lover in the seats either side of me and that one of the inflight movies was Garfield.
Edited by mags

Timeline
Sure hope you can take them on the Cabin. Where are you flying into?

I'm flying from Gatwick to Cincinnati.

I've just spoken to a woman from the UK Delta phone line and she has just verified that you CAN take them from Gatwick to Cinncinati as hand baggage. They can only do this from Septmeber to May though due to an embargo. Suits me fine, I'm flying in December... :P

ANd I have found out they get x-rayed with the rest of your hand baggage.... :lol:

I've seen a couple of people travelling with (small) dogs, and one person travelling with a cat - all on Delta flights. I think one guy must've booked his 'hand baggage' (dog) a seat, too - either that or he was very lucky and happened to be sitting next to the only spare seat on the otherwise full Gatwick - Atlanta flight!

Good luck - hope the cats enjoy their flight! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Sure hope you can take them on the Cabin. Where are you flying into?

I'm flying from Gatwick to Cincinnati.

I've just spoken to a woman from the UK Delta phone line and she has just verified that you CAN take them from Gatwick to Cinncinati as hand baggage. They can only do this from Septmeber to May though due to an embargo. Suits me fine, I'm flying in December... :P

ANd I have found out they get x-rayed with the rest of your hand baggage.... :lol:

:thumbs: Great! Good thing about that flight, it's straight through they will do better.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline

Cat as hand-baggage.....

cat_baggage.jpg

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.