Mags

Pets as hand baggage?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can only say that times have changed. You can now travel on ANY Delta flight with pets coming into the cabin as long as there are no other animals booked on before you. As mentioned before I think it is 2 in cabin and 1 in Business (although if you had two cats like me I guess they would let you). On the telephone I had to give the sizes of my carriers so they knew they were of the correct size.

Delta don't allow pets in the cabin between May and September. They said it is due to an embargo. I can also assume it is because it is the busiest time of year over the summer and the planes are more full (maybe that's the embargo? :) ).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

there is an embargo but when we flew , we were told thsat it was from may to september that animals can't go in Cargo , not cabins. We flew done July 1st on Delta flight with no problems.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The embargo is actually because of heat as they won't allow pets to travel when its over 80F. Please do get a health check done prior to flying. Its important to be done for the kittys well-being to ensure she is fit to fly, in addition to the fact that you will most likely be asked for one and this should include that the kitty has been strategically dewormed and treated with flea preventative.

Additionally its better to get a rabies vaccine done before you go to the States as rabies is rife in certain states and its not a problem we deal with in the UK. It could only take one encounter with a rabid possum/racoon/pick your rabid animal and your kitty could be infected and there is no treatment for rabies once an animal is infected with the virus. You know hat you will have to get it done anyway as the majority of US cities have it as mandatory regardless if the kitty is indoor or not, so why not just have it done while you are in the UK, so you have 1 less thing to do when you get to the U.S. Another thing which is vitally important is to get your kitty onto heartworm preventative as soon as you get to the states. This is another disease that we don't have to worry about in the U.K but its all over the U.S. At the veterinary hospital where I work, we use Revolution which is a topical liquid and acts as a preventative for heartworm, fleas, gastro-intestinal parasites, ear mites, skin mites including demodectes and sarcoptes.

I hope your flight will be safe and calm with your kitty ;)

Kat

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Filed: Timeline

Revolution..... that's what it was. I was trying to remember what it was that Lyrus (my cat) was treated with at the vet.

I'm sure we'll get Elmo and Ziggy (Sian's cats) treated with it also. They are both indoor cats, as is Lyrus, so I doubt the risk of rabies is very high. I can't even remember when the last time I heard of a rabies case in this area was. I'm sure we'll probably still get them vaccinated, though.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline
The embargo is actually because of heat as they won't allow pets to travel when its over 80F. Please do get a health check done prior to flying.

That's cargo though...not in cabin where the temperature is controlled better. Delta actually don't fly pets in the winter either in some places due to the cold...so I'm sure the embargo is more related to planes being jam packed with people who may complain about dogs or cats being in the cabin. If it was due to temperature they'd never fly any animals at all....

Additionally its better to get a rabies vaccine done before you go to the States as rabies is rife in certain states and its not a problem we deal with in the UK. It could only take one encounter with a rabid possum/racoon/pick your rabid animal and your kitty could be infected and there is no treatment for rabies once an animal is infected with the virus. You know hat you will have to get it done anyway as the majority of US cities have it as mandatory regardless if the kitty is indoor or not, so why not just have it done while you are in the UK, so you have 1 less thing to do when you get to the U.S. Another thing which is vitally important is to get your kitty onto heartworm preventative as soon as you get to the states. This is another disease that we don't have to worry about in the U.K but its all over the U.S. At the veterinary hospital where I work, we use Revolution which is a topical liquid and acts as a preventative for heartworm, fleas, gastro-intestinal parasites, ear mites, skin mites including demodectes and sarcoptes.

I hope your flight will be safe and calm with your kitty ;)

Kat

I would have got them vaccinated for rabies beforehand...but from start to finish it takes roughly 3 months. Initial injection, then 4 weeks wait, then blood test, which can take up to 4 weeks to get back the results. Time I do not have...

As Larry said (PlatyPius) we will get them done once I am over in the States but, as they are indoor cats, the risk is minimal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The vets I worked with, didn't recommend the shots if the cat was strictly indoors. I have had cats for nearly 20 years, without giving them rabies shots they have all been just fine.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline
The vets I worked with, didn't recommend the shots if the cat was strictly indoors. I have had cats for nearly 20 years, without giving them rabies shots they have all been just fine.

Really? Well, that's something to think about! Thanks Bethanie. :)

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The process involving blood work is actually for the PETS passport. The simple rabies vaccine can be given as a single dose or a 2nd dose can be given 2 weeks after the first. You don't need bloodwork unless you go for the PETS passport. As far as not vacinating indoor kittys or not treating them with preventatives, we just did testing on a kitty this week and the Feline Leukemia virus test was positive. This is a cat that hasn't been outside, but even through a screen door, the virus particles can travel from an infected stray kitty to the pet cat, so i strongly advise you to get all vaccines done. it only takes one chance encounter and your baby is worth more than that risk I'm sure.

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Do look into your local animal organizations. Many Humane societies do clinics, where you can get yearly shots done at a discount rate. Here locally I think it is only $5 for a rabies shot. The local paper prints when the clinics are going and where. You can also call the Humane society and find when they are having a clinic. This is a great money saver if you have healthy pets.

There are also 3 year rabies vaccines, this will save you two extra trips to the vet so long as the animal is otherwise healthy.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline
The process involving blood work is actually for the PETS passport. The simple rabies vaccine can be given as a single dose or a 2nd dose can be given 2 weeks after the first. You don't need bloodwork unless you go for the PETS passport. As far as not vacinating indoor kittys or not treating them with preventatives, we just did testing on a kitty this week and the Feline Leukemia virus test was positive. This is a cat that hasn't been outside, but even through a screen door, the virus particles can travel from an infected stray kitty to the pet cat, so i strongly advise you to get all vaccines done. it only takes one chance encounter and your baby is worth more than that risk I'm sure.

My cats are already immunised against leukaemia and cat flu et al. My vet would not sign them off as rabies vaccinated without the follow up work being done. Pretty sensible I think. It is best to be sure that the vaccine has done it's job rather than just assume it has...

Just out of interest, I thought leukaemia could only be transferred through cat saliva. I found this below on the FabCats website http://www.fabcats.org/felv.html. Which incidentally, is a pretty good website for feline information.

The major source of virus is in saliva from a persistently infected cat. Virus is spread by activities where saliva is exchanged between cats, such as mutual grooming or sharing of food bowls. Alternatively, FeLV infection of other cats may be caused by biting or contact with urine and faeces containing the virus. It is also possible for virus to be passed from a queen to her kittens either in the womb or after the kitten is born, via infected milk. However, it is uncommon for FeLV-infected cats to give birth as FeLV usually causes pre-natal death of the kittens which results in resorption or abortion.
Edited by mags

Timeline

Okay, I move to the USA next month and am taking my cats with me. I have two of them and am looking into taking them as hand baggage on my Delta flight...

Yeah, but how much stuff could you possibly get inside a cat. I suggest a travel bag. LOL

You stole my line. I'm not even gonna read the rest of this thread!

:P

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I was the one quoted earlier. Took United with my cat after he had his blood tests and received his pet passport. There is an option to have a photograph of the pet done as well but I didn't go that far. I paid my additional fee at my departing airport and not to United online where I initially bought my ticket. Once the 'excess baggage' fee was paid we checked in normally. The only time he was taken from me was at Heathrow when he went into a separate area (presumably where they keep bags) and I went through security and boarded later to find him sitting in first class waiting for me. Sadly our designated seats were in steerage so we moved back there before departure.

He was quiet all flight and his heart seemed to beat quite fast. He was not sedated as I was told not to do this. His nose was quite dry and he didn't want water or food. I dabbed his face with water now and again. Occasionally I'd zip open the sherpa bag and he'd stick his head out then pop it back in again. The only major problem was at Chicago. Got through immigration with just a simple check and a look at his pet passport then headed for a connecting flight. To get through to the domestic terminals we had to go through security again and this time I was told to take him out of the bag which he didn't like, the claw marks were with me for the next two weeks. We did have someone near us on our second flight who had mild cat allergies but it wasn't a major issue.

Since then we have flown two more cats from California. We now have four rescued cats (one local, two from the West Coast and one from Berkshire) plus a Golden Retiever that was found abandoned and hungry just before the winter set in two years ago. All are doing well and one day, if circumstances change some of them (if not all) will make the journey back to the UK, although we may have to do it in stages.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Pucklechurch I just want to say what a lovely person you sound and send you a big well done for taking in abandoned and rescued cats and a dog!

If only more people were willing to do that rather than buying kittens and puppies

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Incidentally how is the english cat settling into the neighbourhood? Is he getting beaten up by the local cats or totally holding his own?

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

Thanks for the kind words, missy antha.

All my cats are doing fine but their friendship can be a little strained at times. Two of them (including the one from England) have FIV so we need to keep a close eye on them as they are quite vunerable. With the right care I hope they stay with us for a long time. My dog is ten years old and, when we were alerted to where he was, he'd been roaming around a local farm for a week and the owner wanted to shot him. It was over Thanksgiving dinner that the discussion came around to this so we went the next day and picked him up. We did alot of advertising in the papers and the Golden Retreiver rescue centres but after two months we knew he was here to stay. I'd love to know his past, who he belonged to and what his name used to be.

Timeline
Thanks for the kind words, missy antha.

All my cats are doing fine but their friendship can be a little strained at times. Two of them (including the one from England) have FIV so we need to keep a close eye on them as they are quite vunerable. With the right care I hope they stay with us for a long time. My dog is ten years old and, when we were alerted to where he was, he'd been roaming around a local farm for a week and the owner wanted to shot him. It was over Thanksgiving dinner that the discussion came around to this so we went the next day and picked him up. We did alot of advertising in the papers and the Golden Retreiver rescue centres but after two months we knew he was here to stay. I'd love to know his past, who he belonged to and what his name used to be.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you stop your uninfected cats getting FIV from the infected ones? Do you keep them all apart?

I had a cat that had FIV; he had it from birth. When he reached about 3 years old he became so ill I had to have him euthanised. I had two other cats that had to be tested for FIV, luckily they were clear.

I am also wondering how you managed to get a pet passport for a cat that has FIV.

Thanks for putting up with my questions. I'm just a bit curious! Or nosey, take your pick! :P

Edited by mags

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.