berber_wife

Upset and wondering what happened

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, so the background. FIL and SIL applied for tourist visas to visit DH and me. They had that interviews in July. SIL is mid-30s, single, owns a small business and house. FIL is mid-70s, has a wife, three children, seven grandchildren, a house and a pension in Morocco. I figured SIL might not get it but I thought FIL would based on ties to Morocco and his age. They were both denied but the interviewer only questioned SIL and never spoke to FIL. So we decided to apply for FIL alone thinking he might have a better case without SIL.

The first time I filled out the DS 160 for them, I made an account online and followed the instructions and in the end, got confirmation pages with their pictures on them, which I emailed to SIL. The second time, I logged in and updated FIL’s information and deleted SIL’s. I followed all the instructions I found Here. FIL’s confirmation page did not have his picture but had the other info and said DS 160 and had a barcode. DH worried about the lack of picture but I thought it would be fine, l was very wrong.

The consulate officer didn’t even let FIL in the building because he said the confirmation was wrong. That there wasn’t a picture. I am confused because the page that I was taken too with email my confirmation didn’t have a picture. The officer said I should’ve made an entirely new online account instead of logging in and updating the info. That was nowhere in the instructions. Does anyone know what happened there and how someone can access the correct DS 160 confirmation?

But where I feel like VJ steered me wrong was that I had heard so many times on this board that the applicant doesn’t need sponsorship papers, invitation letter and proof of income from the American relative. But the consular officer asked for all that stuff from FIL! And he didn’t have it because VJ told me that only proof of ties mattered, not sponsorship from the USA. So I would say to ppl applying for their relative, send all that stuff. Even if 9/10 officers don’t care, you might get he one who does.

DH and I feel so guilty and that we let his father down. He traveled all that way for nothing. I did my very best to get him the visit. I hope other posters more knowledgeable can lend some advice for what I could’ve done better so others can learn and their relatives won’t have the same experience.

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Are you 100% sure the CO asked for sponsorship? Or was it more of evidence/itinerary of the people (you) that he will visit during the trip? I think there is more information about what happened needed. Like did the previous CO note on the denial to provide information about the relative he is visiting in the US? 

It is true that there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa. If there were, it would be on the official government's website as well as forms for you (the "sponsor") to fill out and sign. It is not an official request.

The biggest question now is what has changed in the life and evidence of strong ties of your FIL since he last filed? If nothing has changed and all you did was remove your SIL, I can certainly see why it was refused. Many foreigners think simply applying for a visitor repeatedly will give them a better chance, sort of like a lottery.

The issue is that your FIL did not show strong enough ties to his home country which is likely the reason for denial. If he STILL does not have strong ties then he will continue you be denied.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Some of this is confusing. You said that the first time they did not talk to your FIL and the second time they did not let him in the building but then you say the consular officer asked for all of that stuff from him - so he DID have an interview or talk with someone? 

Also - and maybe its different for a tourist visa - don't they have to affirm in the DS 160 that they filled it out on their own accord? I started to fill out my fiance's for him (because his access to a computer was limited) but when I saw that information about affirming he filled it out on his own I cancelled what I had done and he went to a cyber cafe to fill it out. 

I'm sorry your family had that experience, I certainly dont think anyone has been malicious on VJ or giving false information purposely, they speak from experience as well. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Are you 100% sure the CO asked for sponsorship? Or was it more of evidence/itinerary of the people (you) that he will visit during the trip? I think there is more information about what happened needed. Like did the previous CO note on the denial to provide information about the relative he is visiting in the US? 

It is true that there is no sponsorship of a tourist visa. If there were, it would be on the official government's website as well as forms for you (the "sponsor") to fill out and sign. It is not an official request.

The biggest question now is what has changed in the life and evidence of strong ties of your FIL since he last filed? If nothing has changed and all you did was remove your SIL, I can certainly see why it was refused. Many foreigners think simply applying for a visitor repeatedly will give them a better chance, sort of like a lottery.

The issue is that your FIL did not show strong enough ties to his home country which is likely the reason for denial. If he STILL does not have strong ties then he will continue you be denied.

You don’t think a wife, three children, seven grandchildren, a house and a pension are strong ties? Plus, he’s 75. That seems a little late in life to try to leave his simple but comfortable life and try to illegally immigrate.

l see why they denied SIL as she is young and single and I figured FIL was denied the first time because they applied together.

Adjusting from a B visa

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

ROC

Timeline
13 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Some of this is confusing. You said that the first time they did not talk to your FIL and the second time they did not let him in the building but then you say the consular officer asked for all of that stuff from him - so he DID have an interview or talk with someone? 

Also - and maybe its different for a tourist visa - don't they have to affirm in the DS 160 that they filled it out on their own accord? I started to fill out my fiance's for him (because his access to a computer was limited) but when I saw that information about affirming he filled it out on his own I cancelled what I had done and he went to a cyber cafe to fill it out. 

I'm sorry your family had that experience, I certainly dont think anyone has been malicious on VJ or giving false information purposely, they speak from experience as well. 

My FIL is somewhat illiterate (like many older men in Morocco are) and doesn’t know his way around a computer. We had to work on it for him. I know people haven’t been malicious but we are just upset and sleep-deprived over this and I’m confused as well as far as what happened. I just don’t see how anyone can think of him as any kind of threat. 

Edited by berber_wife

Adjusting from a B visa

ROC

4 minutes ago, berber_wife said:

You don’t think a wife, three children, seven grandchildren, a house and a pension are strong ties? Plus, he’s 75. That seems a little late in life to try to leave his simple but comfortable life and try to illegally immigrate.

I think it's pretty good personally. But the CO probably didn't think it was enough given that his child is in the US and could adjust status once he was here. It's a high fraud embassy and they look for reasons to deny.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

25 minutes ago, berber_wife said:

l see why they denied SIL as she is young and single and I figured FIL was denied the first time because they applied together.

What I think is irrelevant (and to answer your question, yes it would be strong ties in my personal opinion). It is the CO that your FIL has to convince.

Since you mentioned that your FIL is illiterate there may be some gaps in the information you are receiving. Like @EandH0904 mentioned, how could he have had an interview if he was not let into the building?

We know you are upset but no one here steered you wrong. No foreigner is guaranteed a visa. And we have certainly seen elderly get denied as well. The difficulty of getting visitor visas for parents/relatives to attend weddings for a K1 recipient is often discussed here on VJ.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.