J&B

Translation help in Seoul, South Korea

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi all,

I a looking for some recommendations for a translator in Seoul. My fiance and I live together and as part of our relationship evidence, we are submitting our lease because both of our names are on it. 

The lease is in Korean so we need to have it translated before we include it in our I-129F packet. I read on the forums that there a bunch of translation places 'behind' the US Embassy in Seoul. I want to know if anybody can recommend one and possibly tell me how they charge for these? By the page?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I posted in the wrong place I am sorry. I tried to post directly in the Korea portal, but I didn't know how to do it.  

If you are fluent in both English and Korean languages, you can translate the documents yourself. If you do, you'll need to include the certification by translator as follows:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date

Typed Name
Address

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline

Hi there,

We used ITC International Translation Co LTD.  You can find them at:

서울시 중구 세종대로 74-1 -- (02) 779-2222

They made a very minor error with ancestral birthplace but fixed the issue very simply for us.  They will provide you with a cover letter and stamp and seal showing their fluency for you.   This cover letter describes the translation, gives their license number, translator name and English signature, as well as a Korean stamp.

The prices are a little steep, running at 10,000원 per page, and possibly paying more per page if there are a large amount of characters.  For example, the family registrar page cost 20,000원, and you will additionally pay 10,000원 for the cover sheet with the signature.  Be prepared for these fees to easily rack up into the hundreds if you need many things translated (Family Registrar, changes, pre-호주, divorce, etc..)

Regarding self translation,  I have heard a lot of mixed reports here of some people getting away with this fine, and some people getting RFE for the material.  I think it will depend on the importance of the material and the CO.. but I would personally tread carefully.  Good luck!

Through recommendations here on VJ, my Korean born fiance and I had all her Korean documents translate by rev.com: 
https://www.rev.com/translation/certified

We emailed her Korean documents to rev.com, and their return email turn-around time was less than 24 hours.

Some may find rev's services rather pricey at $33 per translated page.  

We didn't want the hassle of translating the documents ourselves and rev's prices weren't a bother for us.  Our certified translated documents were accepted without issue, and we are very happy with their service.  

To add, rev.com is a San Francisco based company.

Edited by KimchiLumpia
Added More Information

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 4:47 AM, Spazmotic said:

Hi there,

We used ITC International Translation Co LTD.  You can find them at:

서울시 중구 세종대로 74-1 -- (02) 779-2222

They made a very minor error with ancestral birthplace but fixed the issue very simply for us.  They will provide you with a cover letter and stamp and seal showing their fluency for you.   This cover letter describes the translation, gives their license number, translator name and English signature, as well as a Korean stamp.

The prices are a little steep, running at 10,000원 per page, and possibly paying more per page if there are a large amount of characters.  For example, the family registrar page cost 20,000원, and you will additionally pay 10,000원 for the cover sheet with the signature.  Be prepared for these fees to easily rack up into the hundreds if you need many things translated (Family Registrar, changes, pre-호주, divorce, etc..)

Regarding self translation,  I have heard a lot of mixed reports here of some people getting away with this fine, and some people getting RFE for the material.  I think it will depend on the importance of the material and the CO.. but I would personally tread carefully.  Good luck!

Thank you so much for this. 10 000 or even 20 000 per page seems more reasonable. I got quoted more than a hundred dollars for two pages last week.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.