buckeyestud

Last look at I-130 Cover letter and package contents

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Hi All,

I am nearly ready to submit our package so I have put together a cover letter outlining the documents I am submitting but I have a few documents that I am worried may be considered 'outdated' since I had acquired them last year at various times so I wanted to know if it is advised to obtain new, refreshed documents instead.

Also, does it look like I am missing anything?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Cover letter details:

Petitioner name

Foreign address or US address..TBD??

Doha, Qatar  (no DCF)

United States Department of Homeland Security

USCIS

Attn: I-130

131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

August 12, 2017

Nature of the Submission:  I-130 Original submission

Dear Sir/Madam:

I, [Petitioner name], a citizen of the United States, would like to file a petition I-130 on an urgent basis for my spouse, [Beneficiary name].  Please find enclosed the following required and supporting documents:

1.      Completed form G-1145

2.      Completed and signed USCIS form I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative  (Signed and dated in June 2017)

3.      Completed and signed USCIS form I-130A – Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary  (Signed and dated in June 2017)

4.      Personal check in the amount of $535.00 for I-130 filing fee

5.      Copy of front and back of birth certificate (Petitioner)

6.      Copy of biographical page of US Passport (Petitioner)

7.      Copy of biographical page of South African Passport(s) (Beneficiary – current and maiden name)  [Do I need to include the full passport copies?]

8.      Proof of a bona fide relationship:

o   Copy of our unabridged marriage certificate

o   Two passport style photos each for Petitioner and Beneficiary

o   A short summary of our relationship history

o   Photos evidencing our relationship from its start in April 2011 to the present

o   Letter from employer verifying joint tenancy since 2013 in housing provided by company  (NOTE: This document is dated more than 1 year ago.. do I need to get a new one?)

o   Sworn affidavit by brother in law as witness to legitimate and loving relationship of beneficiary and I  (NOTE: This document is approximately 1 year old.. should I get an updated one?)

o   Letter of verification from credit card company for joint usage of credit card account  (NOTE: This document is 1.5 years old.. should I get a new one?)

o   Verification from bank regarding jointly held checking and savings accounts in the U.S.  (NOTE: This document is 1.5 year old.. should I get a new one?)

o   Confirmation of beneficiary status in Money Market and IRA accounts in Spouses name

Copies of the documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that my wife or I may be required to submit original documents to an immigration or consular officer at a later date.

I kindly request that you expedite the attached petition and provide the receipt notice as soon as possible given that my spouse and I currently reside in Qatar with its unstable political climate and are waiting for visa approval to relocate back to the U.S.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter.

Respectfully,

[Petitioner name]

Timeline

Hello, 

I'm happy to see this.  I am also in Doha and currently am finishing up my packet for my husband to hopefully send by the end of the week.  I didn't realize you could expedite things - Doha is a bit shaky at the moment which is why we are applying now.  

In general, this looks like all of the same info I have in my packet (but I have the same question regarding the passport copies)

What are you putting down as residence of beneficiary in the US?  It gets complicated when you are both residing outside of the US, not to mention the fact that we don't really have legit home addresses out here! 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, NicoleA said:

Hello, 

I'm happy to see this.  I am also in Doha and currently am finishing up my packet for my husband to hopefully send by the end of the week.  I didn't realize you could expedite things - Doha is a bit shaky at the moment which is why we are applying now.  

In general, this looks like all of the same info I have in my packet (but I have the same question regarding the passport copies)

What are you putting down as residence of beneficiary in the US?  It gets complicated when you are both residing outside of the US, not to mention the fact that we don't really have legit home addresses out here! 

As I understand it, simply having both petitioner and beneficiary living abroad in Doha won't really qualify for having the case expedited even with the current circumstances, but I figured it was worth a try.  At least if it puts me into one of the 'quicker' processing centers that would be ideal.

I decided to list my official mailing address in the States, which is a relative's home, and that is also my intended relocation address as well.  Since it likely will not matter in terms of expediting I decided to keep the US mailing address as I have had other items lost on their way here so I would rather have any important mail sent in the US then have a family member ship it via DHL or UPS.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My answers in bold and red:

On 8/12/2017 at 9:11 AM, buckeyestud said:

Hi All,

I am nearly ready to submit our package so I have put together a cover letter outlining the documents I am submitting but I have a few documents that I am worried may be considered 'outdated' since I had acquired them last year at various times so I wanted to know if it is advised to obtain new, refreshed documents instead.

Also, does it look like I am missing anything?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

Cover letter details:

Petitioner name

Foreign address or US address..TBD??

Doha, Qatar  (no DCF)

United States Department of Homeland Security

USCIS

Attn: I-130

131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60603-5517

August 12, 2017

Nature of the Submission:  I-130 Original submission

Dear Sir/Madam:

I, [Petitioner name], a citizen of the United States, would like to file a petition I-130 on an urgent basis for my spouse, [Beneficiary name].  Please find enclosed the following required and supporting documents:

1.      Completed form G-1145

2.      Completed and signed USCIS form I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative  (Signed and dated in June 2017)

3.      Completed and signed USCIS form I-130A – Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary  (Signed and dated in June 2017)

4.      Personal check in the amount of $535.00 for I-130 filing fee

5.      Copy of front and back of birth certificate (Petitioner)

6.      Copy of biographical page of US Passport (Petitioner)  Not needed

7.      Copy of biographical page of South African Passport(s) (Beneficiary – current and maiden name)  [Do I need to include the full passport copies?]  Not needed

8.      Proof of a bona fide relationship:

o   Copy of our unabridged marriage certificate

o   Two passport style photos each for Petitioner and Beneficiary

o   A short summary of our relationship history

o   Photos evidencing our relationship from its start in April 2011 to the present

o   Letter from employer verifying joint tenancy since 2013 in housing provided by company  (NOTE: This document is dated more than 1 year ago.. do I need to get a new one?)  New one shouldn't be necessary provided the information is still current.

o   Sworn affidavit by brother in law as witness to legitimate and loving relationship of beneficiary and I  (NOTE: This document is approximately 1 year old.. should I get an updated one?)  Don't bother with this, these affidavits carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file; you have plenty of other good evidence.

o   Letter of verification from credit card company for joint usage of credit card account  (NOTE: This document is 1.5 years old.. should I get a new one?)  My answer above regarding the previous letter applies here.

o   Verification from bank regarding jointly held checking and savings accounts in the U.S.  (NOTE: This document is 1.5 year old.. should I get a new one?)  My answer above regarding the previous letter applies here.

o   Confirmation of beneficiary status in Money Market and IRA accounts in Spouses name

Copies of the documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that my wife or I may be required to submit original documents to an immigration or consular officer at a later date.

I kindly request that you expedite the attached petition and provide the receipt notice as soon as possible given that my spouse and I currently reside in Qatar with its unstable political climate and are waiting for visa approval to relocate back to the U.S.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter.

Respectfully,

[Petitioner name]

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 8/16/2017 at 0:48 PM, NicoleA said:

Have you decided if you will use your Doha or US address for the cover letter?

I cannot seem to find an answer on which I should use. 

I am going to state that  I live overseas in the cover letter but use the US address in application to send all documents to a relative for faster (and more reliable) mail services.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hey! I just mailed mine out today via FEDEX. It looks like you covered everything and it looks like more than you may have needed, the the poster who answered in red has advised.

I wish you best of luck! We are very excited yet trying to be patient! 

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.