Natelopez

K1 Same sex Fiance Visa (homophobic family)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

We are same sex couple from India. Last year I had my interview in New Delhi embassy . They called my parents to confirm if they know about my relationship with my now wife. They also asked me if I was carrying the letter's from my family or friends to confirm the relationship. I had lots of evidence to proof our relationship but still they wanted approval from my family . Unfortunately my own native people in the embassy harassed me not the American officer . The American officer were so nice and never asked me about parents approval but the Indian women there were horrible .But that was my case . I think it should not be a problem in your country . Have lots of face time together with 2-3 trips together and have your fiance company you to the interview . I'm not sure if he will be allowed inside the embassy but you can have his passport with you as a proof he is waiting for you outside the embassy . This makes a huge difference! Good luck! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Yes, I will meet my fiance again and he will also guide me to the interview !! He won't leave me alone of course. 

I hope they allow my fiance to enter because he will give me strength. 

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advices.

You made me positive ! 

• 4 months later...

I went through this with my fiancee', now my husband.  He also was from a country that doesn't approve of same gender marriages, but you have to remember, the embassies are staffed with American Citizens making the decision.  We both went for our interview which I believe really helped.  We were both so nervous and wondering how others in line with us would view us, but nobody really knows, or cares because they are nervous too.  The interview went very smoothly and the final person who interviewed us was very understanding and pleasant.  I agree with most of the other posts; this is a matter of a US Consulate/Embassy operation.   If they know the norms of your country, they will probably be even more sympathetic toward your cause.  Keep focused on your love for your husband.  

We did use an attorney in the United States.  Although there was expense involved, they prepared our forms and walked us through the process including rehearsing our interview.  If you can afford it, I would hire an attorney who knows the process well; and don't go for the cheapest; you'll get what you paid for.

Best wishes to both of you.  I truly hope you have a wonderful life together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.