Jump to content

Can I Just Get Married

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi I am a Canadian who is with an American man. We have been together for only 6 months but have known each other for 2 years, I came to visit him in Alaska when he decided to purpose to me. I am not wanting to go back to Canada as there is really nothing there for me and scared to know how long it will be before I can come back to visit him again. Is it possible to Marry him without having to go back to Canada or even apply for the K-1 while staying here??

I heard you don't need to be a resident of Alaska to elope but if we do that am I then recognized as a citizen or do I still have to go through a long procedure?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can marry and stay.

You won't become a citizen immediately. It's a very long and expensive process.

First you would need to start the 'adjustment of status' process after the wedding to change your status from 'visitor' to 'resident'. You will then be a conditional resident for 2 years. After that you will need to go through a process called 'removal of conditions' to become an unconditional permanent resident. After you have been a resident for 3 years (and assuming you are still married and have been for 3 years or more) then you can become a US citizen.

Each stage of the journey involves a lot of forms, possible interviews and fee payments. For adjustment of status (the first part) it's over $1000 (US dollars). You will have to send lots of evidence that you are married for love and not for you to obtain a green card (and eventual citizenship). Your fiance/husband will also need to demonstrate that he can support you or that he has a joint sponsor lined up who is willing to vouch for you.

The most important thing to advise you is that if you do marry and stay and go through the adjustment of status procedure then you will not be able to work or leave the country for several months. You are sort of stuck in limbo whilst the process is taking place. So if you have keys you need to return to a landlord or a car you need to sell or stuff you need to pack then you're going to struggle.

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiance visa process and procedures" to "AOS from work/study/tourist" as OP is in the US at the moment*~*~*


You won't be applying for the K-1 inside the USA. Visas are for people to enter the country. You're already in so you will skip that part and go directly to adjustment of status.

Edited by JFH

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So are we able to just marry like any other person would or is there something we must do first because I am not a citizen?

Yes you can marry (don't need to be a citizen).. and Adjust Status. But be prepared to lay low for a few months.. cant work or travel out of the country. Living in Alaska comes with it's own set of complexities, like travelling (flying) to the mainland US could get complicated on an expired i94.

Not trying to discourage, but it'll be a few months and over a 1000 bucks.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to be a resident of Alaska to get married there.

You need to be over 18 (unless you have parental consent) and there is a 3-day waiting period (meaning that you must wait 3 days to get married after you have applied for a marriage license):


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.