Jump to content

Is it needed to add resident on the apartment lease?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm K1 visa holder and just have my fingerprints taken last week for AOS.

My and my spouse moved in to live in apartment but Only his name is on the lease( he changed ID to new resident address). My AOS also has the same address.

My question is, am I required to add my name to the lease to show proof that we live together? Coz I checked today and they asked for 150$ if I wanna add live-in resident to my spose. I really don't wanna pay this fee.

Is there any other ways to show we live the same roof (like my bank statement letter, ssn letter, etc)

Coz I think, my driver license will also reflect our same address. Is this enough?

Thanks a lot.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That generally as I have heard is good information to put for the AOS packet.

Plus most apartment complexes(that I have lived at) require you to add the person as an occupant of the apartment within a certain amount of time.

I added my partner last week soon as he came, and yea it costs the general application fee/keys/remotes and all that stuff...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The name on the lease is probably the best but the others should be good. My take is basically on level of scrutiny.

Its really not hard to put your name on a bill. They dont check anything. For the fraudsters that dont even live together theres not much heartburn there. The license will typically need proof of residency which is the before mentioned bill so again, not terribly difficult.

But the lease provides additional financial culpability so it has more 'weight' to be on the lease. To it, $150 does sound like a lot even if they are doing additional background check on you and stuff.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I think I better off paying this fee.

Just dnt know why it costs this much. Imagine a family with 4 adults living, they gotta pay 600$ as such.


Hoa Ky khac Viet Nam.

As a landlord, I use a service that charges me a fee that I pass on to prospective tenants to run financial and criminal background checks on all adults wanting to live in my rentals. It's a requirement. The main reason is to protect myself from illegal subletters who are not on the lease. The worst case scenario is where the leaseholder moves out and leave illegal subletters behind who have not signed a lease.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought a house after we were married and I am listed as a resident but I'm not on the mortgage because I couldn't be on the application at the time. I do, however, have our gas bill in my name. Maybe there is a way you can put a bill or 2 in your name? Either way, legally, I believe you have to be listed as a resident with most apartment places. It's a security thing.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.