Geomantra

Use my foreign phone number on form I-130?

4 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen and currently live with my Austrian wife in the Netherlands. I got a job in the US, so we are planning on moving there together (or she moves shortly after if the immigration process takes too long). The fact that I don't currently have a US address or phone number makes some of the questions on form I-130 difficult to answer:

1) On the signature line I am supposed to enter my phone number, but the format on the form is clearly for American phone numbers (parentheses for area code, etc.). I'm afraid if I enter my foreign number here they will be unable to process it and it will be determined to be an invalid number. Another possibility is to use the phone number of one of my parents, but I don't want to come across as dishonest if the number is called.

2) Question 18 asks the address my wife intends to live at. Since we are both abroad there is no such address yet. I guess for this one I need to use my parents' address and then explain at the interview?

Any input on how to proceed is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

I am a US citizen and currently live with my Austrian wife in the Netherlands. I got a job in the US, so we are planning on moving there together (or she moves shortly after if the immigration process takes too long). The fact that I don't currently have a US address or phone number makes some of the questions on form I-130 difficult to answer:

1) On the signature line I am supposed to enter my phone number, but the format on the form is clearly for American phone numbers (parentheses for area code, etc.). I'm afraid if I enter my foreign number here they will be unable to process it and it will be determined to be an invalid number. Another possibility is to use the phone number of one of my parents, but I don't want to come across as dishonest if the number is called.

2) Question 18 asks the address my wife intends to live at. Since we are both abroad there is no such address yet. I guess for this one I need to use my parents' address and then explain at the interview?

Any input on how to proceed is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

I and my husband filed from abroad too, almost done with the process.

1. As we filed from abroad my husband explained our current situation in the cover letter and included his foreign telephone number there. Your phone number is optional information as long as you give them your current address and e-mail address on a form G-1145. USCIS will contact you via e-mail then, like sending a note of NOA1 and NOA2. We had no problems with it.

2. You can put your parents address on the question "where you intend to live". Later in the process (like NVC or even further) you will be able to change your address. Nothing is wrong to actually move in with your parents at the beginning before you find your own place to live.

Good luck!

• 6 years later...
On 7/1/2015 at 11:57 AM, OLee said:

I and my husband filed from abroad too, almost done with the process.

1. As we filed from abroad my husband explained our current situation in the cover letter and included his foreign telephone number there. Your phone number is optional information as long as you give them your current address and e-mail address on a form G-1145. USCIS will contact you via e-mail then, like sending a note of NOA1 and NOA2. We had no problems with it.

2. You can put your parents address on the question "where you intend to live". Later in the process (like NVC or even further) you will be able to change your address. Nothing is wrong to actually move in with your parents at the beginning before you find your own place to live.

Good luck!

I hope you will get a notification from this old post!

My American wife and I both live abroad.

Would you be so kind to tell me the exact steps we need to take after I-130?

My wife has been living abroad and doesn't have US income. So also what about the US domicile requirement?

Thank you so much if you can answer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies. 7 Year old threads are not the best way to get more up to date replies. Please start your own thread to ask a question for your own case.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.