dmahr

Down to the last steps and hit a snag with the DS-260

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My wife and I just sent in our package that includes our cover letter, I-130, G-325A(me and hers), photos, passports, BC's, fee payment, affidavits, timemlines, and G-1145. After a while the Embassy in Seoul finally sent us a letter back saying out case was approved and it will be sent up to Frankfurt (she lives in Frankfurt) for it to get processed as well as her to go and do her medical(which she has done last month in May). In the email that they sent to us, they were telling us that she has to go online and fill out DS-260 (which we have done and submitted), and I saw another part where it list that we have to fill out forms: I-864EZ(which we have done and mailed in). I know after reading this your are like, soooo what's your question. Here's my question, My wife wants to keep her Japanese last name on her passport(which I agree) for when she goes back to Japan and has already amended her passport to include my last name in parenthesis and her Japanese last name is in the barcode on the bottom of the page in the passport. We requested to the Frankfurt field office to print her name on her VISA and GC with her first name and my last name ONLY. They wrote back to her sayin

" We have to use your Last name just like it is listed in your Passport. It is correct that they added your husband’s last name but your passport is still issued under your family name(See Barcode on Passport). Therefore you must correct the form DS-260 and we have to issue your visa with that name."

The Japanese Embassy told me that:

Should I use my married name on the I-130 petition?

If you would like to use your married name in the U.S., you may use your married name for the I-130. Please make sure to amend your passport to your married name before your immigrant visa interview. We cannot put your married name on your visa unless you have amended your passport.

I asked my mother and she her friends if they went through this situation and was told by friends that they had their last names automatically changed with no problems at all....does the U.S. Embassy in Germany do what they want to do or do they follow a completely different set of rules? I read on here that someone said that if we get her VISA and GC with her last name all she has to do is go to the Social Security Office and USCIS get her name changed there...is this true and if so how long will it take? Also since I am military and PCSing to WA and will be living there at the end of this month, I want her to be with me as soon as possible. Please help!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Visa name reflects name in passport, name on green card reflects name on visa, this is universal, not specific to Frankfurt. Anything you may have heard about last names being automatically changed is either incorrect or was done at a time ages ago under different rules and procedures which no longer exist.

Also, the Social Security office has no jurisdiction for changing names.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate your response and your useful information, the sucky thing is is that my wife's name will not change and include my name on any of her documents...

Dennis

You can change it after arrival. Either by paying $450 and getting a new green card or by changing it at ROC. You can also obtain driver's licenses etc, in a married name, by using the marriage certificate when applying for such things.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Where ever you go.your name on your passport will be taken as ur first and last name no matter what .so if ur wife wants to change jer last name ur wife need to apply for passport with the name she wants to keep

Where ever you go.your name on your passport will be taken as ur first and last name no matter what .so if ur wife wants to change jer last name ur wife need to apply for passport with the name she wants to keep

Not necessarily in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NLR, what and where is ROC? Thanks memo.

ROC = Removal of Conditions on residency

This is not a process you will be dealing with until at least 90 days before the expiration date of her green card.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.