Jmurph3rd

Changing beneficiary name following marriage

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I'm now at 170 days since NOA1 at TSC. Rather than keep looking for my NOA2, I decided to take a look at steps ahead. I think I'm comfortable with the process up until the wedding. What I am wondering is how will my wife (beneficiary) take my name for her last name. Her passport and visa will have her maiden name as that is how she will enter the country. What's the process for changing her name and how do I fill in the paperwork properly?

Your fiancé can change her name after marriage no paperwork required.

The marriage certificate will become the legal name change ( some states let you write the new name on the certificate but some don't, neither matters)

And then AOS can be applied for using your last name (with maiden name written in other names used)

Once your fiancé has her Ead showing he new name she can change her name at a social security office and once she has it on her SS card she can change it with everything.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Do not even need to change it on the SSN to be able to change it on other things. Changing the name with the SSA does not make a name change 'official'. An SSN cannot be used as a form of ID.

After you marry, simply begin using the new married name. Not all states have you list what name you will use after marriage onto the license/certificate. You can still begin using your new married right away. The marriage certificate is your official legal name change document, with or without the name you intend to use from now on.

Someone filing for AOS would use their new married name on all their forms and then once they receive their EAD/AP or green card, they will have an official government ID in their married name to use. The EAD can be used to change the name on your SSN and get a state ID or license in your new name.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Honestly did not know that.

Most of my financial places won't accept my name change without it being on my SS card first as my EAD is the only thing with it on.

London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you both for quick response. Would she then update her passport at her home country's embassy here in USA?

Whatever her embassy's requirements are for changing her name on the passport is what she will need. If they will use the marriage certificate and EAD, then do it with that. If they want you to wait for the green card first, then wait for it. You need to check with Romania's requirements.

Honestly did not know that.

Most of my financial places won't accept my name change without it being on my SS card first as my EAD is the only thing with it on.

Some places probably will not allow the name change without it matching on the SSN for tax purposes.

"The card was never intended to serve as a personal identification document—that is, it does not establish that the person presenting the card is actually the person whose name and SSN appear on the card. Although SSA has made the card counterfeit-resistant, the card does not contain information that would allow it to be used as proof of identity. However, the simplicity and efficiency of using a unique number that most people already possess has encouraged widespread use of the SSN by both government agencies and private enterprises, especially as they have adapted their recordkeeping and business systems to automated data processing. Use of the SSN as a convenient means of identifying people in large systems of records has increased over the years and its expanded use appears to be an enduring trend."

You can read all about "How did the SSN come to be, and why has it become an unofficial national identifier?" here > http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v69n2/v69n2p55.html

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Awesome! Thanks Kay!

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~inquiry about AOS related processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Right after getting married I went to SS to get me a new card under my husband's name and I did so. I just took my passport, marriage certificate, I-94 and NOA2 (Just in case). At first the lady told me I had to let Immigration knows I got married (???) and I said that it doesn't sound right since I won't get in touch with the ''Immigration'' until I apply for my AOS...Well, she wasn't too sure but she did it anyways and I received my new card in 4 business days.. I changed the name on the SS since that's what the Courthouse person told me to when I asked her how could I legally change my name.. Not sure if was the proper way but it worked and I could get my Military Dependent ID and therefore have my married name in our jointed bank account.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you both for quick response. Would she then update her passport at her home country's embassy here in USA?

Yes

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.