33 posts in this topic

I found out by asking NVC.

"Have you received my case yet?"

"What date did it arrive?"

"What date did it leave there?"

"What is my new case number?"

A lot of people don't call so don't put it in their timeline. It isn't necessary because everything will be sent in the mail to those willing to wait. Sometime I read VJ K1 threads and they make it sound like calling NVC is a compulsory step. It isn't. Calling is for the curious, impatient, obsessed or maybe even possessed. :P

Don't let it make you crazy.

Ok so I have two more questions. So sorry. 1, if i ever get my case number from NVC is it best to wait until the case shows "ready" to book the medical? Or would it be ok to book it for a couple weeks out if it says "In transit" since it should be there by the time he has his medical? Just trying to do it the quickest way possible but also want to be safe etc... And 2 , he has recently moved and his mail is being forwarded, or suppose to be anyways but how we do update his address? Do they do that at NVC and then verify it was changed at embassy? Or does anyone know how to go about getting that changed for him? And once we do, should we take a new updated G325A form to interview with him? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There are a few mentions of this on the UK forum. The more cautious prefer to wait for the case to show ready. The more brazen and the impatient book the medical somewhere between receiving the number and the case reaching the consulate. The consensus is, it's up to you.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

Can't edit the previous post. Wanted to add, there is no reason you shouldn't get your number from NVC. When they have it, they will give it to you. Does your status on USCIS show that it has been sent to the Department of State yet? Ours went just over a week ago. Called again this morning and it's not there yet. Will try again later in the day when they've had a chance to work a few more.

By the way, we fall into the impatient group referred to above.

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Can't edit the previous post. Wanted to add, there is no reason you shouldn't get your number from NVC. When they have it, they will give it to you. Does your status on USCIS show that it has been sent to the Department of State yet? Ours went just over a week ago. Called again this morning and it's not there yet. Will try again later in the day when they've had a chance to work a few more.

By the way, we fall into the impatient group referred to above.

haha ok. And yes we fall into that category too I think. And I know they will eventually give it to me when they get it, just meaning how slow it all is , is all lol But no it doesn't show it has been sent to NVC yet, it only says it was approved and at the bottom just says the date it was received. It's been two weeks and sadly since TSC has been behind some people say on USCIS it is showing sent for them when it was actually sent or shortly after and some people say it never gets updated to show that it's been sent and there case is already at the embassy before it's updated and some say it never changed or got updated at all. So i figure i'll just call this week and next to see if they got it, to verify. But trying to be patient lol Just been getting all my papers in order and sent to him etc.. and working on steps for after and what he needs to do in the meantime etc...to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

Also a note, your signature says NOA2 text sent to 03/16 to you and then sent to NVC on 03/20. My text was on 3/19 and I have since received my NOA2 hardcopy in the mail but no update at all on the website.

And why are they always so hateful when you call? Like it's an inconvenience for them to answer yes or no? :( I have spoken to one lady who was very nice and said yes you have every right to call and check to see if we have it yet, etc..etc... was very pleasant to deal with. Then there is this other guy, and he is just hateful and rude. I just will never understand that.

Timeline

There have been reports of some case status pages not reflecting the update that the case was sent. I believe ours was actually sent last Monday and my be a couple of days out in our timeline, so we need to check that. You are a week behind us so you could use our updates as a guide to see where you're at. Nothing is consistent, but we are doing the same by watching other filers who were approved just ahead of us. It gives a general idea. It may be worth keeping an eye specifically on UK timelines and signatures. We were speculating last night on another thread that there seem to be different time frames for the various embassies as they all have different processes regarding assigning interview dates.

Lee & William

There have been reports of some case status pages not reflecting the update that the case was sent. I believe ours was actually sent last Monday and my be a couple of days out in our timeline, so we need to check that. You are a week behind us so you could use our updates as a guide to see where you're at. Nothing is consistent, but we are doing the same by watching other filers who were approved just ahead of us. It gives a general idea. It may be worth keeping an eye specifically on UK timelines and signatures. We were speculating last night on another thread that there seem to be different time frames for the various embassies as they all have different processes regarding assigning interview dates.

Yes I would agree with that, and yes I saw you are just before us so I'll keep a watch on yours to help us have an idea. But you are so right, it is very inconsistent and hard to find a flow.

Ok so I have two more questions. So sorry. 1, if i ever get my case number from NVC is it best to wait until the case shows "ready" to book the medical? Or would it be ok to book it for a couple weeks out if it says "In transit" since it should be there by the time he has his medical? Just trying to do it the quickest way possible but also want to be safe etc... And 2 , he has recently moved and his mail is being forwarded, or suppose to be anyways but how we do update his address? Do they do that at NVC and then verify it was changed at embassy? Or does anyone know how to go about getting that changed for him? And once we do, should we take a new updated G325A form to interview with him? Thanks in advance.

Just noticed you had asked questions.

1) in transit and a couple of weeks out should be fine. Basically what wbeem said--you decide. I think the whole deal with Knightsbridge is to ask for the LND number to keep you from booking your medical way early like before NOA2. If you have an LND number then your case will be in London very shortly. Back when we did this, I was in England and did the booking. The question at that time was "have you received the packet from the embassy yet?" and my answer was "yes, he received it yesterday" which was not true at all. Eventually they added the layer of asking for the case number. I've always been the more brazen type, but try to give information of the standard "rules" so people know them. If I was in your shoes today, I would probably be the one to make up an LND number to tell Knightsbridge. Hahaha. It's not like they can verify it, right? Then on the day, make sure they get the correct one. Trouble is, when too many people pull a trick, it will backfire on somebody further down the line because they would catch on.

2) change of address--if you fill out the DS-160 with the proper address, then that's where the interview letter goes and is sufficient. It serves as change of address. You would not get the first letter of instruction, but you don't need that anyway to present to somebody and you don't need it for the LND number because you are calling NVC for that. Or you could use the London contact form to send the new address and wait for them to send a new letter of instruction. What's the point if you are going to start the instructions as soon as your case status says "ready".

The answer is NO to doing a new G-325A. That is a USCIS/petition thing and is over. The Dept of State/visa process gives you a new case number and collects their own info on you with the DS-160. When you go back to USCIS for adjustment of status, you will do another G-325A because you are starting a brand new process and will have yet another case number.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just noticed you had asked questions.

1) in transit and a couple of weeks out should be fine. Basically what wbeem said--you decide. I think the whole deal with Knightsbridge is to ask for the LND number to keep you from booking your medical way early like before NOA2. If you have an LND number then your case will be in London very shortly. Back when we did this, I was in England and did the booking. The question at that time was "have you received the packet from the embassy yet?" and my answer was "yes, he received it yesterday" which was not true at all. Eventually they added the layer of asking for the case number. I've always been the more brazen type, but try to give information of the standard "rules" so people know them. If I was in your shoes today, I would probably be the one to make up an LND number to tell Knightsbridge. Hahaha. It's not like they can verify it, right? Then on the day, make sure they get the correct one. Trouble is, when too many people pull a trick, it will backfire on somebody further down the line because they would catch on.

2) change of address--if you fill out the DS-160 with the proper address, then that's where the interview letter goes and is sufficient. It serves as change of address. You would not get the first letter of instruction, but you don't need that anyway to present to somebody and you don't need it for the LND number because you are calling NVC for that. Or you could use the London contact form to send the new address and wait for them to send a new letter of instruction. What's the point if you are going to start the instructions as soon as your case status says "ready".

The answer is NO to doing a new G-325A. That is a USCIS/petition thing and is over. The Dept of State/visa process gives you a new case number and collects their own info on you with the DS-160. When you go back to USCIS for adjustment of status, you will do another G-325A because you are starting a brand new process and will have yet another case number.

Well we have done a forwarding address so we should still get the letter as long as they don't have it marked or something not to forward which I don't think they do that? But ok cool, I understand now. I'll just probably call and have him book it maybe about a week after we get the number for maybe 2 weeks out and that should be about the right time. And then just watch the information on the site. Thanks for all the information. This really does make this process so much easier.

Well we have done a forwarding address so we should still get the letter as long as they don't have it marked or something not to forward which I don't think they do that? But ok cool, I understand now. I'll just probably call and have him book it maybe about a week after we get the number for maybe 2 weeks out and that should be about the right time. And then just watch the information on the site. Thanks for all the information. This really does make this process so much easier.

Nothing in immigration is forwarded so don't expect that. That's why I said you won't get the letter.

As far as how long the NVC takes to send it out these days, I don't know. I thought once they assigned a number, it was out the door the next day and in transit about four days. You probably follow current timelines closely so can give a better guess. When we did this our case was already in London 10 days after NOA2. There was no waiting around two weeks hoping it might make it to NVC in that time. And K1s were out of NVC two days after arrival.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

What Nich-Nick said.

My address also changed about a month ago. William called USCIS to see if we could get it updated prior to approval and they told us to send a letter to the service center. We did. No acknowledgement (no surprise) and no idea if the address was ever changed (judging by their efficiency to date, it probably ended up in File 13). Does it make you feel better that I'm doing what is suggested in the above post and feel very comfortable with it? :) After spending 8 months gathering dust at TSC there is no chance we are waiting for a piece of paper that might never arrive to direct me to a website link that we already have.

Lee & William

OH i have no doubts about that as far as the USCIS so that's why I didn't bother. lol And I didn't know they wouldn't forward it. Thank you lol And yeah it is definitely taking longer these days to get to Embassy vs when you guys did it but just being patient...sort of. lol Thanks for the info on address.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

What Nich-Nick said.

My address also changed about a month ago. William called USCIS to see if we could get it updated prior to approval and they told us to send a letter to the service center. We did. No acknowledgement (no surprise) and no idea if the address was ever changed (judging by their efficiency to date, it probably ended up in File 13). Does it make you feel better that I'm doing what is suggested in the above post and feel very comfortable with it? :) After spending 8 months gathering dust at TSC there is no chance we are waiting for a piece of paper that might never arrive to direct me to a website link that we already have.

I had to make a date of birth correction on my 129-f petition and mailed a letter to TSC 1-2 months after I submitted the petition. It was never acknowledged either BUT they did make the correction. I found out when the embassy provided a scanned copy of our 129f in our packet 3. The wrong info was crossed out, and the corrected info was hand written on the I-129f.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Hey CheekyMonkeys,

We got our case number today :D

Lee & William

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.