wildcrdj

SSN issue

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Tried to get a SSN for my wife but apparently even though I-94 is valid, it has to be valid for at least 2 weeks into the future (?).

They said we should try to get it extended, but from what I can tell that isn't possible for K1? We need either SSN or ITIN for tax purposes. Green Card is going to be 6+ months from now based on processing time so that won't work.

Are there any other options? Has anyone fixed this issue before? ITIN instructions are confusing and trying to check with my accountant about that.

Filed: Country: Norway
Timeline

you should apply for ssn at least 2 weeks before expiry

I129F SENT: 09/11/2014

Package arrived to Tx: 09/15/2014

Processing Center: CSC

NOA1: 09/17/2014

Alien Number changed: 09/22/2014

NOA2: 10/18/2014

NOA2 HARD COPY: 10/23/2014

NVC RECEIVED: 11/03/2014

EMBASSY RECEIVED: 11/172014

MEDICAL EXAM: 01/15/2015

INTERVIEW: 02/09/2015

VISA APPROVED: Yes

Ceac status: Ready Immigrant ----- AP Nonimmigrant ------ Issued

VISA IN HAND:

TRAVEL DATE:

WEDDING:

AOS SENT:

Timeline

Well I know that now, but didn't see that listed on Social Security website anywhere, so it didn't help. Question is whether its at all possible to change I94 date (thats what Social Security Office recommended, but I don't think that actually can happen for K-1?), if there is any other option besides the long wait for green card. And also whether anyone has used ITIN instead of SSN in this kind of situation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i've written a lot in a SSN-HowTo in the SSN sub-forum. Although it's too late now,

suggest you chase an EAD during your AOS attempt.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, it is not possible to extend the stay on an entry with a K-1. You needed to get the SSN right away after entry while there was still valid time on the I-94, or wait for the EAD. Hopefully you applied for that with your AOS application. The EAD is received in about 60-90 days after filing.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Did not apply for EAD since she won't be working, although looks like we can do that after AOS filing as well, so might as well do that while looking into either getting extension or getting ITIN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you can still go ahead and file for the EAD now. Just include a copy of the receipt notice for filing the I-485 and the fee will still be waived. It is a way for her to have an official govt. ID in her married name to, if she changed it when you married.

You will not get an extension for the K-1, but you may be able to get an extension on filing your taxes.

You may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States in the following categories:

• Visa Waiver Program
  • Crew member (D nonimmigrant visa)
  • In transit through the United States (C nonimmigrant visa)
  • In transit through the United States without a visa (TWOV)
  • Fiancé of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiancé (K nonimmigrant visa)

http://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/extend-your-stay

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yeah, after talking to my accountant looks like we can extend taxes without her SSN/ITIN, apply for EAD and get SSN after that, then file taxes.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.