Meghan&Andrey

Police Certificates

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Since its taking forever and a day to get anything done in Russia, we want to go ahead and get as much as we can started now so we have time. I've gone to the U.S. Embassy's site for Moscow. It says he has to have a police certificate. Okay. Got it. But I'm not understanding where he gets that. Can he do it at any police station? Does it have to be specifically from the city he said he lives in? We put down the city of where he has his registration in & what's in his passports. But he actually lives a good ways away from there now. So to travel to that city would be a big burden. What length of time does this need to cover? He's 33 now. The site says it has to be translated but doesn't have to be certified. Does that mean we can translate it ourselves? Does there have to be a certain format? I'm so lost on this aspect of the process & I haven't found very much information. Anything would be helpful. Thank you!

04/23/2014- Mailed I-129F petition

04/24/2014- Arrived at Dallas lockbox

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

05/01/2014- Received NOA1 hardcopy, Alien Registration # changed

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

09/22/2014- Received electronic NOA2 dated 9/19/2014

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

12/17/2014- Interview: APPROVED

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

04/06/2015- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1 for all three

04/13/2015- Received NOA1 hardcopies for all three dated 4/3/2015
04/18/2015- Received NOA for biometrics appointment dated 4/10/2015

04/28/2015- Biometrics appointment in Houston

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Any police jurisdiction where the alien lived for more than 6 months since age 16 requires a police certificate. I hear that in major Russian cities like Moscow or St. Pete it is pretty much matter of fact, but in backwater towns, they look at you cross eyed or even need some rubles to lubricate the process.

Are we talking small towns here or big cities? If big cities, start with their websites and see what you can find out. You should not need to go there but can proceed by telephone, email and snail mail.

Edited by Al422

Timeline

Izhevsk isn't that small but its remote. I wasn't sure if these things could be handled over the phone or not. He also has relatives that live there that could go to the station if needed & if possible to do it that. We weren't sure if any police station would work or if it had to be embassy endorsed or something. I just literally can find nothing about this for Russia. The embassy in Moscow's site gives so little information & the Russian portal is dead. There rarely is activity. I'm just lost :/

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

Timeline

Usually the main station of whatever police force is involved is where you go. I am surprised US embassy is not helpful since the one in Moscow is not exactly small.

Look here: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv-packet4-eng.pdf

Timeline

Usually the main station of whatever police force is involved is where you go. I am surprised US embassy is not helpful since the one in Moscow is not exactly small.

Look here: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv-packet4-eng.pdf

That basically says the exact same thing as what the embassy site says. I guess he's just going to have to call the police station in Izhevsk & pray he gets someone that's having a decent day & won't give him the run around :(

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

Ask in the embassy forums. People who've already move from Russia can help you out, I imagine. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

I doubt you will be able to get it over the phone,

the person who wishes to get police certificate has pretty much only 2 legal ways of getting.

Go themselves directly to the police station of the town and ask for it. (even if small town I think they pretty much know what it is and have some sort of basic form to fill out, just some basic address and bio stuff)

or go toh epgu.gosuslugi.ru/foreign/?userLang=en

I suggest attempting the latter first as the certificate is mailed to you in the later whereas if you go to the polcie station they will mail you a paper saying to come pick it up.

Supposedly they must give it to you in 30 days of request, infact the police certificate will come dated 30 days after request, but I wouldn't raise hopes for at least 50-60 days.

Online though seems to get faster.

my wife tried both ways(we got one last year and got new one since it was past 6 months and wanted a fresh one to be safe)

As for translation. Moscow embassy says that any document in Russian must be translated to English and have a piece of paper signed by translator certifying that they know the langauge (google it or search VJ for it), so anyone including yourself can do it.

HOWEVER, if you were to translate something from say, "Ukrainian" to English, you need a certified translation by some sort of certified place that can notarize translation. We did this just cause it's good to have official translations for the future and it cost us about 20 dollars per document. totally worth it considering in the US it will run you closer to 50, at least it did in local places here

Anyway you WILL need a certificate for each city person has lived, but you should probably wait until you get your NOA2 before trying to get it or at least wait until you are closer to getting your NOA2, you just filled, you are in for a LOOOONG time so no point in getting it now or you will end up having to get another one like we had to.

oh and sorry for the unorganized post i kind of wrote as it went into my mind.

cheers,

PS: Police Certificate is free to get. dont pay for it, dont offer to pay for it, some people around here suggest other methods of 'expediting' this kinda stuff, but that's their choice and in no ways do i encourage that. so far i havent had to do any of those 'methods' and everything is going alright. but you have been informed/warned.

Edited by Snipe

Always double check your documents and forms. Not only do you get delayed by RFEs and Checklists, but the time it takes for them to review the new items you send could be used to approve more applications. Save yourself and others valuable time!

Current Status: NVC:
-Assigned and Received NVC Case Number, IIN, and BIN April 18, 2014. (100% sure case # was assigned today because I called twice and it wasn't assigned in the morning when they opened but in the afternoon it was)
*Could not provide email then as case was still being updated in their system
-On April 21, 2014 I was able to provide my email and beneficiary's.
-On April 28 I was able to fill out DS-261
-On April 29 I received and paid AOS Fee (at 1pm)
-On May 1 I received and paid IV Fee (at 1pm [became available]), also AOS Fee shows as PAID
-On May 5 IV Fee shows as PAID and DS-260 became available and was completed. Also, AOS Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 7 IV Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 28 AOS Accepted

-On June 2 IV Accepted/Case Complete

-On June 11 Interview Email Received

-On July 3 Interview at Moscow

Note: Medical Exam scheduled after interview letter received by calling the specific clinic, earliest appointment was 2 weeks ahead)

-Visa approved, came to us, got greencard, sadly things didnt go well and divorced. Last I hears she was still in the US and got a full greencard (I notified USCIS of divorce though)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Very quick googling by words "Ижевск справка об отсутствии судимости" brought me the following results: this link describes the procedure in general. Question: where is he residing now? I live in Moscow, but when i got the PC i stated for which regions i should have the statement that i wasn't convicted and it covered not only Moscow but also Kaliningrad (where i was born) and it took exactly 30 days. In the sample form of request there is a line saying 'state regions of Russia where you previously resided'. Then there was also the attached file which describes the procedure if you want to do it in Izhevsk.

A person trying to obtain a PC can give someone a power of attorney for this and then they can request a PC for them (so it's not necessary to be physically present there). I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen over the phone though.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Timeline

We had a difficult time with the whole address thing when filling out our forms. He actually lives in Abkhazia. He's lived there for 8 years. He's not an Abkhazian citizen and does not have registration there. He's registered in Izhevsk. He was born & raised in Izhevsk & his dad, step mom & sister still live there. He works in Sochi. Travels to Sochi constantly. We were told to put the address of the city of registration listed in his passport. So we put Izhevsk on everything. He still has a flat there, as well. I don't know what to put for what & where to get it. Our case is so simplistically complicated. I didn't know there were regional forums (I've just been posting in the K1 forum) and this was moved. I don't know where to find the embassy forums. I was just going to the Russian portal and tracking posts from there. Which are very few.

All of his documents are either in English or Russian. Nothing else. He actually is a certified translator but I wasn't sure if we were allowed to translate anything ourselves. I get that this process takes a long time. I know it will be a while before the NOA2. But there's no way we can wait that long to at least start gathering this info. Because if he has to travel to Izhevsk, we have to plan & budget that.

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

Timeline

Having had 2 prior K-1s with Russian ladies, I have had plenty of practice with the translation mill. The translator does not have to be official. Anyone who proclaims himself a qualified translator and is willing to sign a statement to that effect will do. In fact my last Russian fiance was a translator, but we used someone else to translate ours since it would look fishy if she did her own.

Timeline

Having had 2 prior K-1s with Russian ladies, I have had plenty of practice with the translation mill. The translator does not have to be official. Anyone who proclaims himself a qualified translator and is willing to sign a statement to that effect will do. In fact my last Russian fiance was a translator, but we used someone else to translate ours since it would look fishy if she did her own.

My fiancé' is certified, has documentation to prove it, but I thought getting someone else to do it would be best. Thanks for reassuring me of that (:

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

Timeline

I doubt you will be able to get it over the phone,

the person who wishes to get police certificate has pretty much only 2 legal ways of getting.

Go themselves directly to the police station of the town and ask for it. (even if small town I think they pretty much know what it is and have some sort of basic form to fill out, just some basic address and bio stuff)

or go toh epgu.gosuslugi.ru/foreign/?userLang=en

I suggest attempting the latter first as the certificate is mailed to you in the later whereas if you go to the polcie station they will mail you a paper saying to come pick it up.

Supposedly they must give it to you in 30 days of request, infact the police certificate will come dated 30 days after request, but I wouldn't raise hopes for at least 50-60 days.

Online though seems to get faster.

my wife tried both ways(we got one last year and got new one since it was past 6 months and wanted a fresh one to be safe)

That link seems to be for registration. Am I missing where you go for police certificates there?

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had a difficult time with the whole address thing when filling out our forms. He actually lives in Abkhazia. He's lived there for 8 years. He's not an Abkhazian citizen and does not have registration there. He's registered in Izhevsk. He was born & raised in Izhevsk & his dad, step mom & sister still live there. He works in Sochi. Travels to Sochi constantly. We were told to put the address of the city of registration listed in his passport. So we put Izhevsk on everything. He still has a flat there, as well. I don't know what to put for what & where to get it. Our case is so simplistically complicated. I didn't know there were regional forums (I've just been posting in the K1 forum) and this was moved. I don't know where to find the embassy forums. I was just going to the Russian portal and tracking posts from there. Which are very few.

All of his documents are either in English or Russian. Nothing else. He actually is a certified translator but I wasn't sure if we were allowed to translate anything ourselves. I get that this process takes a long time. I know it will be a while before the NOA2. But there's no way we can wait that long to at least start gathering this info. Because if he has to travel to Izhevsk, we have to plan & budget that.

I'm not a 'certified' translator but i translated all our documents and it was totally fine for everyone. You just have to state in the bottom that you are hereby declaring that you're fluent in both languages and capable of translating the documents, put your signature, date and telephone/address. Noone cares if it's the beneficiary or petitioner doing this.

It appears the file didn't get attached so just check this link then.

Edited by Hollyday

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

yeah I just got you a link to gosuslugi from google. the wife was the one who requested it online so I bet you its only in the russian language section. search around gosuslugi and if you still cant find it ill ask her to give me instructions to you

ps: abhkasia is recognized by us govt as part of georgia isnt it?

this should be interesting.

btw I wanna go there next time. last time couldnt cause of needed a special visa which took like a week so coudlnt wait in sochi for it that long. sochis cool though but they need sand. i got sort of a splinter on my foot (small rock stabbed in to foot) in the beach

That link seems to be for registration. Am I missing where you go for police certificates there?

Edited by Snipe

Always double check your documents and forms. Not only do you get delayed by RFEs and Checklists, but the time it takes for them to review the new items you send could be used to approve more applications. Save yourself and others valuable time!

Current Status: NVC:
-Assigned and Received NVC Case Number, IIN, and BIN April 18, 2014. (100% sure case # was assigned today because I called twice and it wasn't assigned in the morning when they opened but in the afternoon it was)
*Could not provide email then as case was still being updated in their system
-On April 21, 2014 I was able to provide my email and beneficiary's.
-On April 28 I was able to fill out DS-261
-On April 29 I received and paid AOS Fee (at 1pm)
-On May 1 I received and paid IV Fee (at 1pm [became available]), also AOS Fee shows as PAID
-On May 5 IV Fee shows as PAID and DS-260 became available and was completed. Also, AOS Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 7 IV Package Scanned by NVC

-On May 28 AOS Accepted

-On June 2 IV Accepted/Case Complete

-On June 11 Interview Email Received

-On July 3 Interview at Moscow

Note: Medical Exam scheduled after interview letter received by calling the specific clinic, earliest appointment was 2 weeks ahead)

-Visa approved, came to us, got greencard, sadly things didnt go well and divorced. Last I hears she was still in the US and got a full greencard (I notified USCIS of divorce though)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.