Louza

DV Case Numbers and Interviews?

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Has he ever applied for a visitor visa, work via, student visa and listed married to the ex ? Has the ex ever listed him on any of the above ? If so there is zero chance of it being overlooked. There was a case on here of a man that lied about being married thinking it would show ties to home and then years later when he was married he was denied for not showing divorce papers from the "previous marriage'

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

hi i am also a winner, would anybody have any idea what sort of wait time i would be looking at for an interview? I'm not even sure if this is a low number for my area? My number is in the 1500's i'm from Australia. I've looked at the visa bulletin i'mjust not quite sure i'm looking properly...thanks

Edited by littlej

K1 Journey
20th May 2013: I-129F sent to Dallas (US time)
23rd May 2013: Paperwork tracked and delivered to Dallas (US time)
28th May 2013: NOA1 case sent to Vermont Service Centre (US time)
4th Sept 2013: Update from USCIS-Case has been transferred to a local USCIS office...not sure which one yet
9th Sept 2013: Update from USCIS- file has been transferred and is now being processed at Texas USCIS office
23rd Sept 2013: NOA2- approved!
25th Sept 2013: Case shipped to DOS
9th Oct 2013: Packet 3 arrived via email
9th Oct 2013: Fingerprints done and Police check submitted to AFP (received in mail 30/10/13)
1st Nov 2013: Medical Appointment, (Melb) (results received in mail 15/11/13)

4th Nov 2013: Packet 3 sent to US Consulate, Sydney

5th Nov 2013: Packet 3 delivered to Sydney

8th Nov 2013: Received packet 4

19th Nov 2013: Interview scheduled- APPROVED dancin5hr.gif ...happy birthday for Joe! (visa received in mail 22/11/13)

Total K1 processing time- 6months, 3 days

30th Dec 2013: Entered the USA! POE: Dallas

8th March 2014 MARRIED! (L)

AOS:

7th Oct 2014: After unexpected delays, AOS package finally sent to Chicago

14th Oct 2014: Update received, I-485 accepted on 9th Oct and being processed at the National Benefits Centre

6th Nov 2014: Biometrics appointment scheduled and completed

16th Jan 2015: Letter received stating possible Interview Waiver. Informed there's a 6mth delay on processing

7th Aug 2015: Notice of Intent to deny received. Reasons given- expired Medical and new G-325A needed

11th Aug 2015: New medical completed

14th Aug 2015: Response to RFE sent back to USCIS

23rd Aug 2015: Application to Adjust status approved, Green card has been ordered

3rd Sept 2015: Greencard RECEIVED (yes it is Green!) :no:

Total AOS Processing time- 11 months

Timeline

Your interviews won't start until October. Each month the numbers for your area will go up. When your number is less that the posted one it is your time. If they never get to your number you don't get an interview.

Ok so... (Aside from the incredible fact that you all seem to be ok with the fact that she's "married" to a bigamist who abandoned his son)

He's not only planning to lie about his previous marriage but also presumably about his son in Europe when the forms tell you to state all living children (even if estranged).

If he wasn't legally divorced, his marriage to your SIL is not valid.

If picked up on by immigration - possibly also he may have a conviction he is unaware if his legal wife laid any uncontested charges against him that will be picked up on the police record check (some police records also list charges even if no conviction)

You're right about it being a "red flag", the application would be denied out of hand if any of his intended omissions come to light. Of course if he details his previous marriage but can't produce a divorce certificate then they will also see his marriage to your SIL is not valid.

What a mess.

Although I have a strong opinion about their situation, I don't really feel the need to express my feelings about the issue online. I do agree that it's a mess.

I have tried informing my SIL that if immigration picks up on this the chances of them getting approved will be slim. Especially if she lies on the day of the interview. Her response to me was, "They're going to check to THAT extent?" How long can background checks take? I read somewhere that sometimes they take so long the visas can be used up.

Here I am trying to explain how immigration works and how the ramifications of lying can affect their entry into the US and they seem to think its not a big deal. You also alerted me to the fact that he didn't list his son on the DS-230. As for charges...only he knows that.

Has he ever applied for a visitor visa, work via, student visa and listed married to the ex ? Has the ex ever listed him on any of the above ? If so there is zero chance of it being overlooked. There was a case on here of a man that lied about being married thinking it would show ties to home and then years later when he was married he was denied for not showing divorce papers from the "previous marriage"

He was here on a visit visa but according to my husband that wasn't a question on the application, so I don't know. Even if it was a question I don't think he'd mention it.

Your interviews won't start until October. Each month the numbers for your area will go up. When your number is less that the posted one it is your time. If they never get to your number you don't get an interview.

How do you keep track of these numbers? Visa bulletin?

Although I have a strong opinion about their situation, I don't really feel the need to express my feelings about the issue online. I do agree that it's a mess.

I have tried informing my SIL that if immigration picks up on this the chances of them getting approved will be slim. Especially if she lies on the day of the interview. Her response to me was, "They're going to check to THAT extent?" How long can background checks take? I read somewhere that sometimes they take so long the visas can be used up.

Here I am trying to explain how immigration works and how the ramifications of lying can affect their entry into the US and they seem to think its not a big deal. You also alerted me to the fact that he didn't list his son on the DS-230. As for charges...only he knows that.

He was here on a visit visa but according to my husband that wasn't a question on the application, so I don't know. Even if it was a question I don't think he'd mention it.

How do you keep track of these numbers? Visa bulletin?

Um, I would think that in the wake of the Boston bombings background checks would become even more intense.

And they do check things/cross check. When I applied for my kids last tourist visa, they picked up on the fact that I had a family member who had an I130 in progress for me. Now - that was for me only, no derivatives on that one!! - but they still picked it up.

And yes re visa bulletin.

Um, I would think that in the wake of the Boston bombings background checks would become even more intense.

And they do check things/cross check. When I applied for my kids last tourist visa, they picked up on the fact that I had a family member who had an I130 in progress for me. Now - that was for me only, no derivatives on that one!! - but they still picked it up.

And yes re visa bulletin.

The Boston tragedy...again something they aren't considering. If background checks weren't conducted thoroughly the U.S. might as well just gift wrap the visas to anyone that wants to move here. Them picking up on your I-130 just further proves my point.

I did what I felt was right by telling them that they shouldn't lie/disregard anything from the applications, they're on their own from now on.

Thank you for the input:)

Oh brother! The man handling their paperwork told my SIL to not let her husband include that info and it doesn't matter anyway because she's the principal applicant o.O

"The man handling their paperwork "...?? Are they using an agency? Clearly to me this guy is just interested in trying to get a fee out of them for something that should be free... I wonder what an immigration lawyer would tell them. Do they realise that if they are caught out lying on an immigration application they could be banned from entering the US permanently? The form clearly states

"Warning: Any false statement or concealment of a material fact may result in your permanent exclusion from the United States. Even if you are issued an immigrant visa and are subsequently admitted to the United States, providing false information on this form could be grounds for your prosecution and/or deportation."

Maybe you should ask her if the man handling their paperwork doesn't worry about this because it would only happen after he gets his fee ?!

He was paid upfront...no surprises there huh? Although the form clearly states the warning I guess they're choosing to overlook it. Who knows, after all this immigration might not pick up on it and they find themselves with visas :/

Speaking of which..is it possible for SIL and kids to get visas while her husband is denied? Not sure how it works for DVs.

Edited by Louza

He was paid upfront...no surprises there huh? Although the form clearly states the warning I guess they're choosing to overlook it. Who knows, after all this immigration might not pick up on it and they find themselves with visas :/

Speaking of which..is it possible for SIL and kids to get visas while her husband is denied? Not sure how it works for DVs.

Re your last question, I don't think so - someone on another forum posted about being at the consulate and overhearing a case, actually similar now that I think of it, where the spouse had not declared two children from a previous marriage and the family as a whole was denied. She would I guess have to divorce him before the interview and remove him from her derivatives list for that to happen.

Timeline

Even if she is the principle applicant ( winner) and it is her education that will qualify the family if the submitted package contains falsehoods that she is attesting to she will also be banned. The one case I could see one getting a visa and not the other is a medical or disclosed criminal exclusion. As for the visitors visa , it is a common myth that if you claim to be travelling without your spouse you are more apt to get a visitors visa. So if he applied before his current relationship I would almost bet that he mentioned it. And they have records of all applications and the background checks will see if his name appeared on any of them and what he claimed for marital status. The question is actually on the DS 160 form he would have filled in .

If they know this they will allow the family to appear for the interview and present the conflict of facts then issue them a permanent ban from the US.

Background checks can take 3-4 months and frequently include field investigator poking about

Re your last question, I don't think so - someone on another forum posted about being at the consulate and overhearing a case, actually similar now that I think of it, where the spouse had not declared two children from a previous marriage and the family as a whole was denied. She would I guess have to divorce him before the interview and remove him from her derivatives list for that to happen.

The reason I ask is because I don't think the husband will be able to get his police clearance from the European country in time for their interview. They have a low number, I predict the interview will be at the end of this year & it takes that particular country anywhere from 2 to 6 months to issue documents to people abroad. If they're serious they should start with that process now. So what I'm trying to ask is if all the documents are present with the exception of his PC will this cause the delay just for him or the entire family? That's assuming they don't get found out.

Even if she is the principle applicant ( winner) and it is her education that will qualify the family if the submitted package contains falsehoods that she is attesting to she will also be banned. The one case I could see one getting a visa and not the other is a medical or disclosed criminal exclusion. As for the visitors visa , it is a common myth that if you claim to be travelling without your spouse you are more apt to get a visitors visa. So if he applied before his current relationship I would almost bet that he mentioned it. And they have records of all applications and the background checks will see if his name appeared on any of them and what he claimed for marital status. The question is actually on the DS 160 form he would have filled in .

If they know this they will allow the family to appear for the interview and present the conflict of facts then issue them a permanent ban from the US.

Background checks can take 3-4 months and frequently include field investigator poking about

When he came to the USA he was married to the principal applicant so I'm pretty sure he put married as his answer. Their agent is making her falsify employment papers, telling her private tutor isn't a good idea to write. The woman is qualified with her education she can use that but no he has to dig a bigger hole for them o.O

This guy must have gotten away with this before because his confidence where lying is concerned is alarming.

Regarding background checks on DV applicants, they happen after the initial step of submitting their forms to KCC, correct? With interviews starting in October it doesn't really seem like a long time to check up on the selectees.

Edited by Louza

The reason I ask is because I don't think the husband will be able to get his police clearance from the European country in time for their interview. They have a low number, I predict the interview will be at the end of this year & it takes that particular country anywhere from 2 to 6 months to issue documents to people abroad. If they're serious they should start with that process now. So what I'm trying to ask is if all the documents are present with the exception of his PC will this cause the delay just for him or the entire family? That's assuming they don't get found out.

When he came to the USA he was married to the principal applicant so I'm pretty sure he put married as his answer. Their agent is making her falsify employment papers, telling her private tutor isn't a good idea to write. The woman is qualified with her education she can use that but no he has to dig a bigger hole for them o.O

This guy must have gotten away with this before because his confidence where lying is concerned is alarming.

Regarding background checks on DV applicants, they happen after the initial step of submitting their forms to KCC, correct? With interviews starting in October it doesn't really seem like a long time to check up on the selectees.

I don't know for certain but I would think the whole family would be delayed/denied/whatever as a matter of course if there is something wrong with one of the applications.

Also no idea about the background checks actually re when they are done, or whether they are done from KCC or the country of interview. I do however think they will be more thorough with an immigrant visa application than a tourist visa one, so getting away with a lie on a tourist visa will probably be easier than an immigrant visa. (An obvious example is the tourist visa you just answer questions about criminal records but immigrant you have to produce police certificates)

Sorry, did you mention the country they are from? There are also some countries where they often get put into "administrative processing", I think some where they are automatically done, and I believe part of this then includes very detailed background checks. And on this there have been reports of people staying in AP so long that they miss out on their visas because it goes past the end of the fiscal year.

Edited by SusieQQQ

I don't know for certain but I would think the whole family would be delayed/denied/whatever as a matter of course if there is something wrong with one of the applications.

Also no idea about the background checks actually re when they are done, or whether they are done from KCC or the country of interview. I do however think they will be more thorough with an immigrant visa application than a tourist visa one, so getting away with a lie on a tourist visa will probably be easier than an immigrant visa. (An obvious example is the tourist visa you just answer questions about criminal records but immigrant you have to produce police certificates)

Sorry, did you mention the country they are from? There are also some countries where they often get put into "administrative processing", I think some where they are automatically done, and I believe part of this then includes very detailed background checks. And on this there have been reports of people staying in AP so long that they miss out on their visas because it goes past the end of the fiscal year.

They're Sudanese residing in Egypt. Sudanese immigrant applicants go through the US Embassy in Cairo. I went through there and although my experience was ok I don't recall anything weird happening on my day. Most of us were spousal visas that were pretty straightforward but I know most men generally get put on AP in Cairo. Background checks like you said will be more extensive after what happened in Boston. I think the Tsarnaevs came here as immigrants. I doubt they'll get visas but who knows they might be lucky :/

They're Sudanese residing in Egypt. Sudanese immigrant applicants go through the US Embassy in Cairo. I went through there and although my experience was ok I don't recall anything weird happening on my day. Most of us were spousal visas that were pretty straightforward but I know most men generally get put on AP in Cairo. Background checks like you said will be more extensive after what happened in Boston. I think the Tsarnaevs came here as immigrants. I doubt they'll get visas but who knows they might be lucky :/

Oh, look here - seems they do do spouses separately sometimes and this is same nationality as you are talking about!

"I am sudanese , interview for me and my family(husband&2daughters childs) was in Cairo Embassy in 10 oct 2012, it was quite good they asked only some general questions and there was no missing documents however the visa approved for me and my childs but for my husband he put him under administrative processing and asked me if I need to wait him or not "

.,, the above woman said yes but maybe your SIL should say no!!

Original thread: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?550750-DV-2013-Under-Administrative-Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.