SterlingSoul

Name Change on Philippine Passport

8 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been answered in various forms. I just need a little more clarification.

Here's the quick back story.

Wife and I along with our soon to be 2 year old, is taking a vacation in May 2013 to the Philippines. I've already bought the tickets ($$$$$$wow!!!) and now we are on the next step of obtaining my son's passport and changing my wife's maiden name to her married name.

I've read that she would need to make an appearance at the nearest Consulate. Ok. The nearest consulate in in Los Angelas. We live in Alaska. Round trip tickets are not cheap from Alaska.

Is there anyway around making a personal appearance at the Philippine Consulate in Los Angelas? Or should I change her name on her airline tickets to reflect her Philippine passport.

Also, am I supposed to notify the consulate of our marriage back in December of 2009? I followed the petition process to get her green card to a T, but never knew that we had to notify her consulate about our marriage together.

I'm sorry for the rambling I hope that I'm making some sense here.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to your replys.

Jason, Charisse and Bren Bren

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sure this has been answered in various forms. I just need a little more clarification.

Wife and I along with our soon to be 2 year old, is taking a vacation in May 2013 to the Philippines. I've already bought the tickets ($$$$$$wow!!!) and now we are on the next step of obtaining my son's passport and changing my wife's maiden name to her married name.

I've read that she would need to make an appearance at the nearest Consulate. Ok. The nearest consulate in in Los Angelas. We live in Alaska. Round trip tickets are not cheap from Alaska.

Is there anyway around making a personal appearance at the Philippine Consulate in Los Angelas? Or should I change her name on her airline tickets to reflect her Philippine passport.

Also, am I supposed to notify the consulate of our marriage back in December of 2009? I followed the petition process to get her green card to a T, but never knew that we had to notify her consulate about our marriage together.

The easiest way is to attend of of the Philippine embassy outreach visits. The embassy travels all over the US assisting filipino citizens with passports, marriage reports, recording births etc. We did this in 2010 for my wife (passport).

Here is the link to see the schedule. Yes they do travel to Anchorage. I doubt they will be in Anchorage before you depart. It also take several weeks for your new passport to arrive by mail. If you do decide to go this route, read the requirements carefully about documents to bring.

http://www.philippineslosangeles.org/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's a link to the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles' official website: http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-ppt.htm

Personal appearance is a must and you should have made a Consulate Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad back in 2009.

Since you haven't made a report, you have to file one. http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#ROM

Edited by apple21

If the ticket is booked in her married name call the airline to see if they will accept your marriage certificate as proof of name change. Typically you want the ticket to match the passport but I have heard of people doing what you are attempting to do. If you do change the ticket to her passport name I would still bring your marriage certificate with you as the link between her greencard and passport name. If an outreach does not come to Alaska before you leave, depending on how long you will be in Philippines, you can change her name and renew the passport there.

Have a good trip!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Even if your wife wishes to change her passport name once she arrives in the Philippines, a Consulate Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad is still an essential requirement.

Refer here: http://passport.com.ph/requirements

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Working & Traveling forum to Philippines regional forum -- topic involves a foreign document and no specific immigration-related process. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Your wife can make a personal appearance at the Philippines Consulate in order to have her passport changed to her married name. On the other hand, she can attend a Consulate outreach event to have her passport changed. The relevant Philippines Consulate will be the one which has jurisdiction over where you were married. If you were married in Alaska, the Philippines Consulate in San Francisco would have jurisdiction. The Philippines Consulate in San Francisco regularly has an outreach event in Anchorage and Juneau, although I can't find the 2013 schedule on their website.

Although there is no requirement to report your marriage to the Philippines Consulate, you will need to do so if your wife wants to change the name on her passport. You can do both at the same time at the Consular outreach in Anchorage or Juneau. You can also do both at the same time at the Philippines Consulate in San Francisco. Either way, generally, it takes about four to eight weeks to receive a new passport.

You also have the option of reporting your marriage in advance by mail. No personal appearance is necessary for reporting your marriage.

If you don't want to deal with the name-change issue right now, then you should change your wife's airline ticket from her married name to the name on her passport. Also, she should bring along your marriage certificate in case there's a question about the difference between the name on her passport/airline ticket and the name on her green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We went to the Consulate Outreach up here when they rotated through,

Outreach 2012

That was the 2012 schedule but if you start there you can probably find who to contact for the schedule in 2013. But you may not have enough time to get the passport back before you travel, even if it is early in 2013. It took months to get it sent up here. You surrender your existing passport when applying for the new one. So bear that in mind.

We traveled with tickets bought in her maiden name, since that matched her passport, and had all kinds of documentation with us including marriage certificate, green card in married name, and had no trouble until we were coming back. The airline employee in Manila was giving us a hard time and we had to call her supervisor, who said no problem.

We didn't get her passport until about a month ago and she's been here three years. We also didn't report the marriage to the consulate until they came up here this summer. Do them both at the same time when they are up here and you'll make sure to do them right because they won't take them until you have all 107 copies done exactly right.

I don't know how far from Anchorage you are but we went through a year of hell trying to get a fingerprint appointment with them. You have to write an office in California that doesn't communicate with the office in Anchorage and they tell you through six successive requests that no appointments are available. We had to start a congressional investigation to get a fingerprint appointment. They did them wrong TWICE. 2,700 miles of driving for fingerprints. Others have flown in from Unalaska or whatever and had them screw up their fingerprints.

The documentation says you must have a fingerprint appointment to go there, but when our congressman finally rattled their cage they told us to come down and they would make an appointment letter on the spot. Three times total, that is. On account of incompetence.

Edited by rlogan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.