Captain Ewok

Direct Consular Filing Explained

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i followed the link, thanks.

under procedures #3 it says,

3- The foreign spouse will be required to submit a DS-230 Part 1 (visa application) as well as several required items on a checklist that the consulate will provide. The checklist will include items such as a Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Previous Divorce Records, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), and others.

where can i find THE LIST so i can get started???

"such as" is not much help when trying to be fully prepared.

• 1 month later...

Im looking at K-3 non-immigrant visa, Manila. If I have an approved i-130 Petition which I filed DCF in Manila on June 26, can I file the i-129F in Manila also?

According to the http://travel.state.gov website, to apply for the K-3 Visa, I would file the i-129F after the i-130. Im confused if the i-129F can be done DCF, since the addresses given are in the US only and it doesn’t give any notes if it can be DCF.

Im also confused by the website statement if the i-130 is approved first, then the K-3 visa option ends. The website link is below.

The First Step: Filing the Petitions, Travel.State.Gov

You, the U.S. citizen sponsor, must first file Form I-130, with the (DHS), (USCIS) office that serves the area where you live. You must then file Form I-129F, to file the petition for a K-3 visa. See Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)( USCIS.gov ) for information on where to file the petition for a K-3 visa.

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when USCIS approves the I-130 before the I-129F, the availability of, as well as the need for, a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends.

I have been married and living in the Phils for 2.8yrs now. Kindly, any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

:blush: Sorry for the confusing question, After a day of research I will explain my error that got me started down the path of a K-3.

I need a co-sponsor, i-864, for my IR-1 but family was saying it's too risky and i should fly to US without her and setup a job 1st. They are correct, but I don't want to go without her. So I started looking at options and I read about the K-3. It said that she could come to the US with me while the i-130 was being processed. THIS is where my confusion started, because I was not understanding that the i-130 use to take a long time to process, which is when a K-3 could be pursued. Mine has already been approved and thus the K-3 option is CLOSED.

I sure appreciate your responses. Maybe this will come in handy for some other traveler.

I now must try to alleviate the fears of an i-864. I'm researching the cases where claims have been made to require the sponsor to start coughing up money to give the beneficiary. All of which I know would never happen with my situation. But worse case scenarios are what's being discussed. :(

Miko

:blush: Sorry for the confusing question, After a day of research I will explain my error that got me started down the path of a K-3.

I need a co-sponsor, i-864, for my IR-1 but family was saying it's too risky and i should fly to US without her and setup a job 1st. They are correct, but I don't want to go without her. So I started looking at options and I read about the K-3. It said that she could come to the US with me while the i-130 was being processed. THIS is where my confusion started, because I was not understanding that the i-130 use to take a long time to process, which is when a K-3 could be pursued. Mine has already been approved and thus the K-3 option is CLOSED.

I sure appreciate your responses. Maybe this will come in handy for some other traveler.

I now must try to alleviate the fears of an i-864. I'm researching the cases where claims have been made to require the sponsor to start coughing up money to give the beneficiary. All of which I know would never happen with my situation. But worse case scenarios are what's being discussed. :(

Miko

An I-864 wasn't even a question for my family members. "Whatever we can do in order to bring the two of you back home to the states is what we will do," was their mentality. Granted, I visited my future wife, moved to my spouse's country, got married, found work, lived with her family etc. and then got her a visa through a Direct Consular Filing. I suppose, perhaps, my family (or any other I-864 candidate I choose) may have seen things differently if I simply said "I met a girl on the internet and need you to sign these papers in order for her to come here."

I don't know everyone's situation and won't try to speculate. However, in general, I wouldn't be too happy if my family hemmed and hawed over the possibility of my wife somehow financially screwing them in the future. That sounds almost akin to considering a prenuptual agreement. But, as I said, everyone has different family dynamics.

• 2 months later...

Email me :oops::help: I have a cupple questions, if I may. :whistle:

I am an American Citizen who has lived in Belgrade Serbia for 6 years.

I am a duel citizen.

I got Married to a Serbian citizen. My married is legal here.

I want to apply for the DCF beucase I feel it fits my case perfectly.

I ask if I can even apply for it seince I just moved back to Illinois 3 months ago?

Can I ask for an exception, beucase I have lived there for so long? :(

In Serbia there is no Consoler officer any way,When I lived there I asked, they told me it dosnt go through them it would directly be sent to Chicago. and honestly I thought we would have the best chances if I moved back to America, becuase the papers are gonna be sent there anyway when buecase my country dosnt have a Consolor.

Im really worried now after reading this guide That I would have to apply for another type of visa since I no longer am In Serbia, even tho' he is. :cry:

I have no intenstion on waiting a year for a visa aprovel, I would love to find some way around this... help??? :clock:

Do you think if I moved back I could get him here faster? :unsure:

Also about the sponsor ship papers.... :wacko:

..Beucase I lived abroad for so long, and was born in 1993, I havnt paid taxes in America unil now since I moved back.

Could I ask for an exception like I have seen on other sites or no? :dead:

Im asking becuase even tho' I do not meet the finacial requiriments of the sponsor,

I would like to have the reasponsiblitly that the sponsor has but yet have a joint sponsor for the finacial part.

Is this possible since I dont have 3 years in tax returns? :bonk:

:mellow:

(L) The Photo is of me and my husband (F) the day we got married. :wub:

:oops: Sooo many typos, forgive me, its 3:00am and I just got off of work, very tried and have no patiance to fix them. haha

Angelina Mitic

post-148376-0-91734600-1354784151_thumb.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

hello all!

as mentioned above, how would one go about those sponsorship papers? i moved to south america shortly after high school graduation, and have lived here ever since, and thus i have no pay stubs or tax records to use for my husband's visa. do they have to be my tax records, or could i say, use my mom's information? bit confused here, and stressing quite a bit. any help would be appreciated!

thanks. :)

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

DCF is not "unofficial". The process requires that you file an I130 petition for your spouse just like you would if you lived in the US.

In our case we skipped USCIS processing in the US (the I130 was processed at the Embassy) and we skipped the NVC step (we sent the I864 to the embassy with the medical and other packer IV paperwork).

Otherwise the documents and filing process are the same.

You are only eligible to file it if you legally reside overseas. In most countries the first thing they ask for is your resident card (or equivalent)

There may be countries that accept a tourist visa but I never heard of one.

I read the article and it says that DCF is an unofficial form, what does it means? is not valid? is not recognized?

Is it a way to get into USA before get K3? If i apply for DCF do i need to apply for K3? Any help is welcome!

You will need to show that you were not required to file taxes. You otherwise either need to show 3X the required income in assets for your household size or get a co-sponsor to file an I864 on your husband's behalf.

hello all!

as mentioned above, how would one go about those sponsorship papers? i moved to south america shortly after high school graduation, and have lived here ever since, and thus i have no pay stubs or tax records to use for my husband's visa. do they have to be my tax records, or could i say, use my mom's information? bit confused here, and stressing quite a bit. any help would be appreciated!

thanks. :)

i don't get it.

I am a duel citizen.

I ask if I can even apply for it seince I just moved back to Illinois 3 months ago? NO

Can I ask for an exception, beucase I have lived there for so long? :(NO

In Serbia there is no Consoler officer any way,When I lived there I asked, they told me it dosnt go through them it would directly be sent to Chicago. and honestly I thought we would have the best chances if I moved back to America, becuase the papers are gonna be sent there anyway when buecase my country dosnt have a Consolor. They probably would have processed it faster if you had filed from overseas but you didnt

Im really worried now after reading this guide That I would have to apply for another type of visa since I no longer am In Serbia, even tho' he is. :cry:It's the same visa. You just have to file it and wait a little longer to get it

I have no intenstion on waiting a year for a visa aprovel, I would love to find some way around this... help??? :clock:It won't be year but it will probably be around 7-8 months

..Beucase I lived abroad for so long, and was born in 1993, I havnt paid taxes in America unil now since I moved back. If you had income then that's a problem

Could I ask for an exception like I have seen on other sites or no? :dead:You could get a co-sponsor

Im asking becuase even tho' I do not meet the finacial requiriments of the sponsor,

I would like to have the reasponsiblitly that the sponsor has but yet have a joint sponsor for the finacial part.

:oops: Sooo many typos, forgive me, its 3:00am and I just got off of work, very tried and have no patiance to fix them. haha

Angelina Mitic

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

You can't get a K3 vise unless you live in the US and your spouse lives outside the US. K3 is a family unity visa which is a special class of visa created to quickly bring families of US citizens to the US.

Im looking at K-3 non-immigrant visa, Manila. If I have an approved i-130 Petition which I filed DCF in Manila on June 26, can I file the i-129F in Manila also?

According to the http://travel.state.gov website, to apply for the K-3 Visa, I would file the i-129F after the i-130. Im confused if the i-129F can be done DCF, since the addresses given are in the US only and it doesn’t give any notes if it can be DCF.

Im also confused by the website statement if the i-130 is approved first, then the K-3 visa option ends. The website link is below.

The First Step: Filing the Petitions, Travel.State.Gov

You, the U.S. citizen sponsor, must first file Form I-130, with the (DHS), (USCIS) office that serves the area where you live. You must then file Form I-129F, to file the petition for a K-3 visa. See Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)( USCIS.gov ) for information on where to file the petition for a K-3 visa.

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when USCIS approves the I-130 before the I-129F, the availability of, as well as the need for, a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends.

I have been married and living in the Phils for 2.8yrs now. Kindly, any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

i don't get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've lived in Guatemala since April 2011. I believe that would be enough time to qualify for this DFC process. My fiance (a Guatemalan) and I a looking for the best options in terms of how, when and where to get married since we eventually want to move back to my home country, the US.

I need a little clarification about the DFC and was wondering if you could help me with a few questions:

1. Does anybody know if Guatemala processes DFCs (do all countries or just some)?

2. I saw written in the link that DFCs are for spouses, thus would I be correct to think that we couldn't apply this like a K-1 Fiance visa and get married in the States, but that we'd have to get married in Guatemala to make it apply?

3. How much does a DFC (the whole process, all forms included) cost approximately?

Thank you so much for your help!

I've lived in Guatemala since April 2011. I believe that would be enough time to qualify for this DFC process. My fiance (a Guatemalan) and I a looking for the best options in terms of how, when and where to get married since we eventually want to move back to my home country, the US.

I need a little clarification about the DFC and was wondering if you could help me with a few questions:

1. Does anybody know if Guatemala processes DFCs (do all countries or just some)?

2. I saw written in the link that DFCs are for spouses, thus would I be correct to think that we couldn't apply this like a K-1 Fiance visa and get married in the States, but that we'd have to get married in Guatemala to make it apply?

3. How much does a DFC (the whole process, all forms included) cost approximately?

Thank you so much for your help!

Along with this I am a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer, serving here as a branch of the US Embassy in Guatemala, but I only have a visa. I don't have official residency paperwork in Guatemala. What does this mean for my chances at a DFC?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The foreign spouse will be required to submit a DS-230 Part 1 (visa application) as well as several required items on a checklist that the consulate will provide. The checklist will include items such as a Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Previous Divorce Records, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), and others.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I am a duel citizen.

I ask if I can even apply for it seince I just moved back to Illinois 3 months ago?

Can I ask for an exception, beucase I have lived there for so long? :(

In Serbia there is no Consoler officer any way,When I lived there I asked, they told me it dosnt go through them it would directly be sent to Chicago. and honestly I thought we would have the best chances if I moved back to America, becuase the papers are gonna be sent there anyway when buecase my country dosnt have a Consolor.

Im really worried now after reading this guide That I would have to apply for another type of visa since I no longer am In Serbia, even tho' he is. :cry:

I have no intenstion on waiting a year for a visa aprovel, I would love to find some way around this... help??? :clock:

..Beucase I lived abroad for so long, and was born in 1993, I havnt paid taxes in America unil now since I moved back.

Could I ask for an exception like I have seen on other sites or no? :dead:

Angelina Mitic

Hi. I am so glad I found your post. My husband and I are in the same situation. We lived in Serbia for three years (he is a US citizen), got married in August, wanted to do DCF, but Embassy in Belgrade said we had to file i130 to Chicago Lockbox. So we did in September and my husband moved back to New York in October (so he would be able to prove he is domicile in the US). Could you update me on your case? We haven't received any news since they received our petition on September 14. We also filed i129f for K3, as we thought it would be faster, but haven't heard about it either. Anyway, how can an Embassy refuse to do DCF if it is still a valid option? I guess that can happen only in Serbia :bonk:

USCIS

09/14/2013 - NOA1

04/22/2013 - NOA2

NVC

04/23/2013 - NVC received case

04/29/2013 - case number and IIN

04/29/2013 - DS3032 sent

05/09/2013 - AOS bill generated and paid

05/10/2013 - AOS bill appears as PAID

05/13/2013 - AOS package sent

05/16/2013 - DS3032 accepted

05/16/2013 - AOS bill changes from PAID to NOT PAID! #######?! AOS bill paid again upon NVC rep's advice

05/20/2013 - IV bill generated and paid

05/20/2013 - IV package sent

06/12/2013 - case complete, woohoo smile.png

07/15/2013 - interview scheduled

08/06/2013 - interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.