65 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Okay, here's my very detailed interview review at the Mumbai Consulate on Wednesday May 12, 2010.

I stayed the night at the Kemp's Corner Hotel which is about 10 minutes away from the VFS office. I dressed in well-fitting jeans and a white dress shirt. I wore both my wedding and engagement rings. I got to the VFS at 7AM and was in the bus by 7:10AM. Reached the Consulate at 7:20AM. Stood in line for a bit while they checked our passports and interview letters.

Entered the Consulate for security. The security guard was a b!tch. She grabbed my a$$ several times (like, seriously cupped my boot-ay) and worst of all, took out ALL my papers from their properly color coded folders messed it all up and then gave it back to me in a heaping pile.

Had to stand and organize everything again and then I entered the waiting room. Waited in line for about 15 minutes for biometric fingerprinting. They give you pink tokens for NIVs and wooden tokens for IVs.

After that, I sat in the waiting area till my name was called for the pre-screener at 8:15AM. She was a middle-aged Indian lady.

Questions asked by her:

--Who is calling you to the States?

--What is his name?

--What is your father's name? (She was confused if his middle name was actually his first name)

--Mother's maiden name?

--You studied in the U.S.?

--Where did you meet your husband?

--In India or the U.S.? So you had a F-1?

--What is your husband's name?

--Who did you visit on your previous B-2 visa?

--Where all did you visit?

--What are your qualifications?

--Where did you get married?

--When did you get married?

--Did you have a Hindu wedding?

--Why not?

--You got married under the Special Marriage Act? Was it a court wedding?

--Did you convert?

--Did he convert?

--Where are you currently working?

--How long has he been in the U.S.? (Born and brought up there).

--Is he an American? (DUH!)

--I mean, is he of Indian-American origin? (No, he's white, of Irish descent).

--Are you a Canadian immigrant? (She was confused by my Canadian once-in-a-lifetime-at-the-border tourist visa).

--Have you resided for more than 6 months in any other country other than the U.S.?

--Who is *joint sponsor's name?*

--What does he do?

--Is he married?

--His wife works? What does she do?

--He files taxes jointly?

--Do you have his 2009 tax returns?

--Where is his W-2?

This is when I shoved in another joint sponsorship as my original joint sponsor was being very uncooperative recently and had refused to send his '09 W2s. I wasn't going to deal with a blue slip for missing documents so I insisted she used whichever one had the better/complete information. She kept both of their documents and said that the final decision would be the CO's.

--Who is *new joint sponsor's name?*

--Your husband recently got a new job?

--What kind of wedding did you have?

I offered to show her some pictures but she pulled out the ones I sent in with the I-130 petition and said she already saw them--she just wanted me to tell her.

I also had to turn in a new DS230, as VFS had turned in a photocopied one. She needed the original signature on it. Thankfully, I was carrying an extra one, all filled out. Helps to be prepared!

She then returned a bunch of documents to me (including my originals and everything that had been submitted to NVC) and told me everything looked good and that the CO might want to ask me a few questions. She asked me to go back and wait.

So I waited. For three freakin' hours while all the B-2, F-1 and H-1Bs kept getting called. There is a food counter with sandwiches, chips, and drinks available but I wasn't carrying any cash so I listened to my stomach growl in hunger. Pointer: EAT BREAKFAST before you go no matter how nauseated you feel in the morning!

Finally, I got called at 11:15 AM. The Consular Officer was an Indian-American lady, very casually dressed. I didn't even realize she was the CO. I just assumed she was there to assign the oath. Which she did and then asked me to sign the new DS230. I did. And then there was a less than 5 minute conversation that consisted of the following questions.

--You have 2 previous visas to the US?

--Yes. B-2 in 1999 and a F-1 in 2005.

--Where did you meet?

--Ithaca College, NY. We were both pursuing our undergraduate degree there.

--Is he an American citizen?

--Yes, he is. (*WHY THESE STUPID REDUNDANT QUESTIONS?*)

--How long have you known him?

--We met in Jan '08, started dating end Feb '08 so about two and a half years now.

--How did you meet him?

--His roommate was a friend of mine.

--August 17, 2009. (Asked this twice, to ascertain the date, I assume)

--Do you have any relatives in the U.S.?

-- A couple of distant relatives in my extended family but no one in my immediate family.

--When did you graduate?

--May 2009. May 17, I think. (She seemed surprised that my F-1 is valid till July 2010 and that I had left the U.S. much prior to it's expiry).

--How long have you been married?

--9 months. Will be 9 months this 17th.

--Has he visited you since then?

--"No, unfortunately, he's not been able to." She turned to look at me -- the only time she did so, the rest of the time time she was busy typing on her computer.

--Why not?

--"I guess we were naive and thought we would be done in 3-4 months so we didn't really make any plans to meet up -- we didn't think the process would take so long as long as it did, and besides with both of his jobs being recent, it was hard to get time off." She nodded, and said, "yes, I understand that."

--Speaking of which, where does he work?

--Where do his parents live?

--What do they do?

--Does he have any brothers or sisters?

--Where does she live?

--What does she do?

I responded quickly to each question with short, precise answers. Then, another guy walked in who cancelled my previous visa. The CO said, "Well, your visa is approved!" She didn't look at one thing. Seriously. I dropped 10 lbs of evidence in front of her and she didn't ask to see ONE damn thing.

I was like, "Seriously? That's it? You don't wanna see some pictures? How about some phone bills?"

She said, "Nope, your passport will be sent to you via courier in a couple of days!" So I said, "oh okay, thankyou." And walked out of the booth in a daze.

I was out by 11:20AM, caught the return bus to VFS and was there by 11:30AM.

Thanks again to VJ and the wonderful VJers for all their help, support and good wishes!

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

awesome review... :dance: :dance:

Okay, here's my very detailed interview review at the Mumbai Consulate on Wednesday May 12, 2010.

I stayed the night at the Kemp's Corner Hotel which is about 10 minutes away from the VFS office. I dressed in well-fitting jeans and a white dress shirt. I wore both my wedding and engagement rings. I got to the VFS at 7AM and was in the bus by 7:10AM. Reached the Consulate at 7:20AM. Stood in line for a bit while they checked our passports and interview letters.

Entered the Consulate for security. The security guard was a b!tch. She grabbed my a$$ several times (like, seriously cupped my boot-ay) and worst of all, took out ALL my papers from their properly color coded folders messed it all up and then gave it back to me in a heaping pile.

Had to stand and organize everything again and then I entered the waiting room. Waited in line for about 15 minutes for biometric fingerprinting. They give you pink tokens for NIVs and wooden tokens for IVs.

After that, I sat in the waiting area till my name was called for the pre-screener at 8:15AM. She was a middle-aged Indian lady.

Questions asked by her:

--What is his name?

--What is your father's name? (She was confused if his middle name was actually his first name)

--Mother's maiden name?

--Why not?

--Did you convert?

--Did he convert?

--Are you a Canadian immigrant? (She was confused by my Canadian once-in-a-lifetime-at-the-border tourist visa).

--Have you resided for more than 6 months in any other country other than the U.S.?

--What does he do?

--Is he married?

--Where is his W-2?

This is when I shoved in another joint sponsorship as my original joint sponsor was being very uncooperative recently and had refused to send his '09 W2s. I wasn't going to deal with a blue slip for missing documents so I insisted she used whichever one had the better/complete information. She kept both of their documents and said that the final decision would be the CO's.

I offered to show her some pictures but she pulled out the ones I sent in with the I-130 petition and said she already saw them--she just wanted me to tell her.

I also had to turn in a new DS230, as VFS had turned in a photocopied one. She needed the original signature on it. Thankfully, I was carrying an extra one, all filled out. Helps to be prepared!

She then returned a bunch of documents to me (including my originals and everything that had been submitted to NVC) and told me everything looked good and that the CO might want to ask me a few questions. She asked me to go back and wait.

So I waited. For three freakin' hours while all the B-2, F-1 and H-1Bs kept getting called. There is a food counter with sandwiches, chips, and drinks available but I wasn't carrying any cash so I listened to my stomach growl in hunger. Pointer: EAT BREAKFAST before you go no matter how nauseated you feel in the morning!

Finally, I got called at 11:15 AM. The Consular Officer was an Indian-American lady, very casually dressed. I didn't even realize she was the CO. I just assumed she was there to assign the oath. Which she did and then asked me to sign the new DS230. I did. And then there was a less than 5 minute conversation that consisted of the following questions.

--Where did you meet?

--We met in Jan '08, started dating end Feb '08 so about two and a half years now.

--How did you meet him?

-- A couple of distant relatives in my extended family but no one in my immediate family.

--When did you graduate?

--May 2009. May 17, I think. (She seemed surprised that my F-1 is valid till July 2010 and that I had left the U.S. much prior to it's expiry).

--"No, unfortunately, he's not been able to." She turned to look at me -- the only time she did so, the rest of the time time she was busy typing on her computer.

--Why not?

--"I guess we were naive and thought we would be done in 3-4 months so we didn't really make any plans to meet up -- we didn't think the process would take so long as long as it did, and besides with both of his jobs being recent, it was hard to get time off." She nodded, and said, "yes, I understand that."

--What do they do?

--Where does she live?

--What does she do?

I responded quickly to each question with short, precise answers. Then, another guy walked in who cancelled my previous visa. The CO said, "Well, your visa is approved!" She didn't look at one thing. Seriously. I dropped 10 lbs of evidence in front of her and she didn't ask to see ONE damn thing.

I was like, "Seriously? That's it? You don't wanna see some pictures? How about some phone bills?"

She said, "Nope, your passport will be sent to you via courier in a couple of days!" So I said, "oh okay, thankyou." And walked out of the booth in a daze.

Thanks again to VJ and the wonderful VJers for all their help, support and good wishes!

Timeline

Sorry that it's so long.

I just wanted to remember everything as accurately as I could and make it as detailed as possible.

Hope this helps! :star:

event.png

Good review! Thanks for posting! Grats on the approval!

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Did they give you a receipt for "visa approved" and any confirmation?

Questions asked by her:

--What is his name?

--Mother's maiden name?

--Why not?

--Did you convert?

--Did he convert?

--What does he do?

--Is he married?

--Where is his W-2?

--Where did you meet?

--How did you meet him?

--When did you graduate?

--Why not?

--What do they do?

--Where does she live?

--What does she do?

Timeline

Good review! Thanks for posting! Grats on the approval!

No problem and thanks, once again! :star:

Did they give you a receipt for "visa approved" and any confirmation?

Nope. I did go to the VFS that evening with my courier fee, hoping I could pick it up in person, but they told me that the Consulate hadn't sent over that morning's batch yet. If I wanted, I could pick it up next day, otherwise, they'd courier to me.

Passport collection is from 5-530PM at the VFS office.

Blue Dart just dropped off my passport earlier this evening. So that was a quick turn around. The actual visa was issued on the 13th.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Great review Sachi! So happy for you!

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Timeline

Great review Sachi! So happy for you!

You too, chica! Yay for May! :dance:

event.png

Timeline

Couple of points I wanted to make--

--Not sure who my actual joint sponsor now is since the CO never mentioned anything. I wonder if the switcheroo worked.

--My husband had submitted a new I-864 for the interview since he had a new job after our case complete at NVC which was putting him a few thousand over the required limit. The pre-screener seemed to imply that the job was "too recent" to be considered -- besides, his taxes don't look so hot as he was in college the last three years.

--The pre-screener asked me my husband's name three times until I uttered his entire name. Eg: Jon Smith, Jonathan Smith, Jonathan Bruce Smith.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Nice review........

Sorry about the security messing up all the papers. They did go through all my wifes papers too but don't think they took it out.

Did you seriously offer to show the pictures and phone bills after they said you are approved? rofl.gif I thought you were just saying it in your mind when you mentioned it the other day.

02-09-2007 : Marriage

I-130 Stage (Filed while I was on Green card)

California Service Center

06-11-2007 : I-130 Sent

08-04-2009 : I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

09-04-2009 : NVC Received

09-08-2009 : NVC case# assigned (Waiting game begins to Upgrade my case to IR-1)

01-22-2010 : Became U.S. citizen (Sent request to upgrade petition from F2A to IR-1 catagory)

02-17-2010 : Case finally upgraded to IR-1

03-20-2010 : Case complete

04-12-2010 : Receiced interview notice.

Chennai Consulate Stage

05-01-2010: Medical

05-04-2010: Interview Approved!!!!!!

05-21-2010: POE at San Francisco

06-21-2010: Received GC in mail

Timeline

Haha, yea, I did. It just came out. I thought she'd at least want to look at our very nice wedding album and make an obligatory remark about "what a cute couple the two of you make!"

She didn't even say, "Welcome to the United States." Hmph.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Congrats and thanks for the excellent review. This will help a lot of people who will be going to the consulate in Mumbai.

NVC

10/04/2010: Case# received, Both email id provided

10/05/2010: DS-3032 COA emailed to NVC

10/11/2010: IIN received

10/11/2010: AOS review fee ($88) online payment - IN PROCESS

10/14/2010: AOS status 'PAID'

10/16/2010: DS-230 IV fee ($404) online payment - IN PROCESS

10/19/2010: DS-230 IV status 'PAID'

10/20/2010: AOS & DS-230 IV package sent

10/22/2010: AOS & DS-230 IV package delivered. Signed by: J Desmond.

11/10/2010: SIF!!!

11/14/2010: received checklist for missing passport office PCC.

11/10/2010: NVC Completion

12/09/2010: NVC Forwards Case to Consulate

CONSULATE

11/22/2010: Passport Office PCC to be in hand

12/22/2010: Medical Completed

12/28/2011: VFS Office Visit - Submit all required documents

01/10/2011: Interview Date - APPROVED

j1/11/2011: Passport arrived at home.

01/25/2011: Wife Comes to USA (POE: Newark, NJ)

event.png

i6qembf7x.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thanks for the detailed review :) Congratulations again on getting approved :D

united-states-flag.gifFallen in Love zzflag008.gif

USCIS Journey:

January 5/2010 - Petition Sent

January 12 - NOA1 Hard Copy

March 15 - Email I-130 Approved

NVC Journey:

March 20 - Mail NOA2 HardCopy

March 20 - NVC Case Number assigned

March 23 - Got NVC Case Number and gave emails

March 25 - Got AOS Bill / DS-3032

March 27 - Emailed DS-3032

March 27 - Paid AOS Bill

March 31 - AOS Bill shows PAID

March 31 - DS-3032 sent by email accepted

April 07 - Paid IV Bill

April 09 - IV Bill shows PAID

April 09 - Sent AOS package via USPS

April 12 - AOS package Delivered and signed by N. Visa Center

April 13 - Sent DS-230 package via USPS

April 14 - DS-230 package Delivered and signed by N. Visa Center

April 16 - N. Visa Center received all documents

April 23 - LIF!!! Sweeet!!! Thank You Bhagvan / inşallah =)

May 18 - Interview date assigned June 22 @ 8:30 am. Thank you Bhagvan again / inşallah =)

June 04 - Wife went for medical and got it done

June 22 - Wife's interview (Missing Bank statement) =(

June 25 - Sent Bank letter to wife

June 29 - Wife got the bank letter and sent it to embassy

July 07 - Wife got visa in hand!! Thank You Bhagvan / inşallah =)

Aug 02 - Wife's POE!!! (Excited) =)

Aug 02 - Picked up my wife at 8:45 pm (Super happy to be with her again) =)

Aug 02/2010 - Lifting of Conditions

**Thank You VJ Family especially sachinky**

Congratulations and best wishes to both of you! :dance:

USCIS
10/01/09 :mailed I-130
10/05/09: Forwarded to CSC
10/05/09 : NOA1.
10/12/09: touched.
02/08/10: text and an email received ~ I-130 approved. (yes!)
02/09/10: touched.
02/16/2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC Journey

02/12/2010: NVC/case# assigned
02/22/2010: DS-3032 received .
02/22/2010: Sent in DS-3032 email.
02/22/2010: Received and paid AOS.
02/24/2010: AOS fee accepted/shows as paid.
02/24/2010: AOS document cover printed.
03/01/2010: IV bill available online .
03/01/2010: Paid IV bill .
03/01/2010: DS-3032 accepted by NVC.
03/09/2010: IV bill: shows as paid.
03/12/2010: AOS Packet sent.
03/16/2010: AOS Packet Delivered to NVC/ Signed by St.Laurent.
03/25/2010: AOS accepted (as per NVC operator)
04/22/2010: Mailed in ds-230 via fedex

04/23/2010: DS-230 Packet Delivered to NVC/ Singed by J.Desmond.
04/27/2010: DS-230 Received by NVC/AVR
07/01/2010: Interview - VISA APPROVED
07/08/2010: Visa in hand!
08/22/2010: POE Boston, MA.
07/06/2012: I-751 Packet sent to VT service center
07/09/2012: I-751 Packet received by VT service center Signed by Scoss
07/11/2012: Check Cashed
[
color="#0000FF]07/12/2012: NOA1 received , 03/08/2013- 10-year green card arrived.

N-400 Journey
05/28/2013: N400 sent to Tx. 05/30/2013: N400 packet received. 06/03/2013: Check cashed. 06/24/2013: Biometrics appointment. 07/01/2013: walked in for a late biometrics appointment and was successful. 07/22/2013: In line for interview scheduling. 07/23/2013: Interview has been scheduled. 08/27/2013: Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay Sachinky !!!! Thanks so much for the write up !!!

Yer my new poster child for Green Crayon !!!

I'm so happy for you two - Yay !!!

GoGoGadget PackTheSuitCases!!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.