30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My lost greencard expires in 2011. Can I not file for a card replacement and just wait for the time that I can apply for removal of condition? When I apply for a job, what document can I show to the employer to prove that I am legal to work since my greencard is lost?

AOS Timeline

Dec. 09, 2008- mailed AOS packet

Dec. 10, 2008- received by V. Bustamante

Dec. 16, 2008- money order payment was cashed

Dec. 22, 2008- received NOAs for I-131; I-485; and I-765 in the mail (yay!)

Feb. 21, 2009- received I-512L (Advance Parole document)

Feb. 24, 2009- biometrics done

Mar. 05, 2009- EAD received

Mar. 05, 2009- case transferred to CSC

Mar. 10, 2009- applied for SSN

Mar. 21, 2009- SSN card received

Apr. 10, 2009- Welcome Notice Received dated 04/06/09

Apr. 13, 2009- Greencard received

I don't know about card replacement laws - though someone will on here. :star:

I do know about the employment part though...

You don't have to show a green card and an employer can't insist on it if you can meet the I9 eligibility through other documents. (google I9 handbook and download it - its a free pdf if you want the exact specifications of what employers can accept.)

Do you have a driver license/state id & a social security card that DOES NOT say `only valid for work with DHS permission.'?

If so on the I9 employment eligibility form - you will need your alien number for the first section. Then driver license/state id will satisfy column B (proof of identity.) Then your social security card will satisfy column C (proof of work eligibility) - providing you got it changed after you got your green card so that they could remove the restrictions.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

My lost greencard expires in 2011. Can I not file for a card replacement and just wait for the time that I can apply for removal of condition? When I apply for a job, what document can I show to the employer to prove that I am legal to work since my greencard is lost?

You'll need to file an I-90 LINK; $370.

I would not advise you to wait until ROC to get a new/10-year card. You are required to have proof of immigration status - not just for work-related purposes.

Timeline
I don't know about card replacement laws - though someone will on here. :star:

I do know about the employment part though...

You don't have to show a green card and an employer can't insist on it if you can meet the I9 eligibility through other documents. (google I9 handbook and download it - its a free pdf if you want the exact specifications of what employers can accept.)

Do you have a driver license/state id & a social security card that DOES NOT say `only valid for work with DHS permission.'?

If so on the I9 employment eligibility form - you will need your alien number for the first section. Then driver license/state id will satisfy column B (proof of identity.) Then your social security card will satisfy column C (proof of work eligibility) - providing you got it changed after you got your green card so that they could remove the restrictions.

Good Luck :thumbs:

that's another problem, I haven't changed my SS card yet. I have been very busy working since I got my gc but I know it's not an excuse. So my SS card still says "valid only with DHS work authorization" on it. I know I'm really stupid for procrastinating things. Do you think I can remove the restriction on my SS card by showing to the SSA the welcome letter I got from USCIS as proof that they did send me a gc?

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What Does the Law Say?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States … shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations...." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him.... Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor" and may be subject to fine and/or imprisonment upon each conviction. The specific requirements and procedures for applying to replace a permanent resident card are included in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

so if your caught you can be guilty of misdemeanor and subject to fine and or imprisonment !! sooo you really want to risk it? basically its the law that you HAVE to have it. Reporting and replacing a lost card is a must really...

not to mention you need to include a copy of front and back of your PR card to remove conditions!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You'll need to file an I-90 LINK; $370.

I would not advise you to wait until ROC to get a new/10-year card. You are required to have proof of immigration status - not just for work-related purposes.

Thanks. So, based on the link, I need to do the biometrics again?

AOS Timeline

Timeline
Reporting and replacing a lost card is a must really...

Ok, so I guess that's what I'm gonna do then coz nope, I don't wanna risk it. I'd rather pay the $370 (dang!)

When you say reporting and replacing, does filing for I90 do both at the same time or reporting is another process I'm gonna have to do?

AOS Timeline

Reporting and replacing a lost card is a must really...

Ok, so I guess that's what I'm gonna do then coz nope, I don't wanna risk it. I'd rather pay the $370 (dang!)

When you say reporting and replacing, does filing for I90 do both at the same time or reporting is another process I'm gonna have to do?

Probably a good idea to report your GC loss to the local police.

Never know they may have it.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks. So, based on the link, I need to do the biometrics again?

Yes - will need another biometrics appointment ($290 for the I-90 and $80 for the biometrics = $370).

Filed: Other Timeline

I cannot even conceive how somebody can lose their green card or their passport. Car keys? Sure. Wallet? Also. Virginity? Absoutely. Head? Yes, in a horrible accident. But passport, green card, and Certificate of Naturalization, the most valuable documents a person owns?

Maybe it would help if the replacement cost were not $370, but $3,700? Seriously.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I cannot even conceive how somebody can lose their green card or their passport. Car keys? Sure. Wallet? Also. Virginity? Absoutely. Head? Yes, in a horrible accident. But passport, green card, and Certificate of Naturalization, the most valuable documents a person owns?

Maybe it would help if the replacement cost were not $370, but $3,700? Seriously.

Since your green card should be with you at all times, how is to so hard to understand how one could lose this? Losing your wallet is no different than losing your GC since your GC should be in your wallet.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since your green card should be with you at all times, how is to so hard to understand how one could lose this? Losing your wallet is no different than losing your GC since your GC should be in your wallet.

yea or getting your purse stolen or forgetting your purse somewhere and coming back and finding ur wallet missing. All totally doable things.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Why cause no one is perfect? Are you so perfect or something what a dumb response to post. People lose things all the time but I guess we are all not as perfect as you.

I have lost my green card and im the process of trying to sort a new one out.

As of Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act who in the hell is gonna enforce it? When your waiting for AOS your not gonna have any immigration status, What are they going to do send you to Jail? Deport you?

I just wish people where more helpful and sympathetic after all we all can't be perfect just like "just bob"

Just Bob, do you have to be so judgemental all the time?! Every time I read your posts there seems to be some sort of judgement in them. The OP is probably already annoyed enough at himself/herself without your condemnation.

Besides that fact, people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Unless I'm reading your timeline wrong, weren't you out of status for about a zillion years before you got married to a USC?! Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ####### about people who're out of status (it's their life and their business), but, um, stop judging others when you're not exactly perfect yourself.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

AUGUST 10 2004 - Arrived in Austin, TX with F-1 student visa status.

EARLY JAN/FEB 2008 - Met Michael (my future husband) in the café where he works.

APRIL 12 2008 - We go on our first date. It lasted 2 days!

APRIL 13 2009 - Got married in Marfa, TX, in the middle of the West Texan desert.

NOVEMBER 4 2009 - Finally saved up enough money to send off I-130; I-485; I-131; I-765.

NOVEMBER 5 2009 - Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox at 9:32 a.m! Signed for by A. Analakis. [DAY 1]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - Cheques for I-485 and I-130 are finally cashed! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - I-485, I-130, I-1765 & I-131 are all "touched"! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 13 2009 - Received NOA's for I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 (Notice date - November 10th 2009).[DAY 9]

NOVEMBER 16 2009 - All forms were "touched" again. [DAY 12]

NOVEMBER 23 2009 - Received biometrics appointment letter (scheduled for December 14th 2009) [DAY 19]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - Walk-in biometrics appointment in Austin ASC [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 25 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 21]

DECEMBER 28 2009 - Received AP approval letter, dated December 23. Received a text & email, too [DAY 54]

DECEMBER 29 2009 - Received email & text, saying EAD is approved; card production ordered. [DAY 55]

DECEMBER 31 2009 - Received AP document. [DAY 57]

JANUARY 2 2010 - Received EAD & interview letter (interview will be 02/16/10, San Antonio). [DAY 59]

FEBRUARY 16 2010 - Approved at interview! I-551 stamp in passport. [DAY 104]

that's another problem, I haven't changed my SS card yet. I have been very busy working since I got my gc but I know it's not an excuse. So my SS card still says "valid only with DHS work authorization" on it. I know I'm really stupid for procrastinating things. Do you think I can remove the restriction on my SS card by showing to the SSA the welcome letter I got from USCIS as proof that they did send me a gc?

By the way, do people who get the conditional two-year green card have to go to their local SS and get the DHS conditions removed from their SSN card? I thought it was only naturalized citizens who had to do that.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

AUGUST 10 2004 - Arrived in Austin, TX with F-1 student visa status.

EARLY JAN/FEB 2008 - Met Michael (my future husband) in the café where he works.

APRIL 12 2008 - We go on our first date. It lasted 2 days!

APRIL 13 2009 - Got married in Marfa, TX, in the middle of the West Texan desert.

NOVEMBER 4 2009 - Finally saved up enough money to send off I-130; I-485; I-131; I-765.

NOVEMBER 5 2009 - Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox at 9:32 a.m! Signed for by A. Analakis. [DAY 1]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - Cheques for I-485 and I-130 are finally cashed! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 12 2009 - I-485, I-130, I-1765 & I-131 are all "touched"! [DAY 8]

NOVEMBER 13 2009 - Received NOA's for I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 (Notice date - November 10th 2009).[DAY 9]

NOVEMBER 16 2009 - All forms were "touched" again. [DAY 12]

NOVEMBER 23 2009 - Received biometrics appointment letter (scheduled for December 14th 2009) [DAY 19]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - Walk-in biometrics appointment in Austin ASC [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 24 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 20]

NOVEMBER 25 2009 - All forms were "touched" [DAY 21]

DECEMBER 28 2009 - Received AP approval letter, dated December 23. Received a text & email, too [DAY 54]

DECEMBER 29 2009 - Received email & text, saying EAD is approved; card production ordered. [DAY 55]

DECEMBER 31 2009 - Received AP document. [DAY 57]

JANUARY 2 2010 - Received EAD & interview letter (interview will be 02/16/10, San Antonio). [DAY 59]

FEBRUARY 16 2010 - Approved at interview! I-551 stamp in passport. [DAY 104]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.