BringSp

I lost my naturalization certificate need it for petition can I use my US passport

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I know this topic has already been discussed, but I am very concerned about this cause nobody confirms if it really works. I am US citizen by naturalization and I am trying to file the I-130 for my spouse but i dont have my naturalization certificate cause i lost it and i cant find it, and on the I-130 form the certificate number is asked but i dont have it since i dont even have my certificate. Now, for what i read in the other discussions I could use my US passport as proof, but my questions is ... Does anybody already tried this ? without the certificate and just using the US passport .. and Did it work ? without problems .... cause I am afraid that if I send just the passport with all the documentation they are gonna ask me for the certificate which i dont have and my petition is gonna get denied.. PLEASE HELP I really need to know from somebody who knows this for sure and has already gone throught the same problem THANK YOU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I believe naturalization cert number is your original A#, but yes you can simply use a complete copy of passport as evidence of US citizenship.

What Documents Do You Need to Show That You Are a U.S. Citizen?

4. A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; or

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130instr.pdf

Moving this to CR-1/IR-1 forum.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I figure this question out myself (I'm filing a I-130 petition for my spouse).

Most of us naturalized citizens don't have our Naturalization Certificate anymore because we had to turn in the Certificate to obtain a US passport and they don't give it back to you.

There's a way to get a replacement of the Naturalization Certificate, but it costs $380!!!

The I-130 application asks for my Naturalization Certificate number.

I called USCIS and they told me that I don't need the Naturalization Certificate number. Instead, I can simply write "N/A" (meaning, not applicable) on all the spaces in the petition that ask for this while including a photocopy of the first page of my passport in my application package; thus, proving my citizenship.

The representative told me that doing this will in no way delay or jeopardize my application.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Most of us naturalized citizens don't have our Naturalization Certificate anymore because we had to turn in the Certificate to obtain a US passport and they don't give it back to you.

There's a way to get a replacement of the Naturalization Certificate, but it costs $380!!!

I called USCIS and they told me that I don't need the Naturalization Certificate number. Instead, I can simply write "N/A" (meaning, not applicable) on all the spaces in the petition that ask for this while including a photocopy of the first page of my passport in my application package; thus, proving my citizenship.

The representative told me that doing this will in no way delay or jeopardize my application.

N/A can mean not applicable or not available. I'd write "unknown". Of course you can use a copy of every page (even the blank ones and front and back cover) of your US passport instead. That's why you see the word "or" in the instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

That does not make sense...writing N/A (not applicable) in a space that asks for the naturalization certificate indicates that its not applicable to you, or that you do not have a naturalization certificate, i.e. you're not a citizen. I would write "None" (please see enclosed US Passport) in the space where the Naturalization Certificate Info is needed.

On that note....if using the passport to prove citizenship, and visits between spouses, copy every page of the passport to satisfy the citizenship requirement, and copy the identity page and each page containing an entry/exit stamp to prove visits w/ your spouce.

-P

Edited by Minya's wife
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Yes the are two different numbers....

the A# is your old Alien number when you use to have a green card.....

The Naturalization Certificate number is completely different number....

When you applied for US passport and your Naturalization Certificate was mailed in with you passport request, they sent it back for sure.

The new passport and the naturalization certificate are mailed back to you in different envelopes and at different times....

You should have received you passport first and the Naturalization certificate later..usually few days difference in completely separate envelope.

You should go ahead with you application anyway....with your US passport copies instead of the certificate.

If for some reason they really want to see it....they will issue an RFE (request for additional evidence) but at least you get the application going since it may take some months.

If I was you....I would still apply for a Naturalization certificate replacement anyway....it always good to have and make sure you make few copies of it this time once you receive the replacement....

Do not worry so much....and good luck in your journey...

I know this topic has already been discussed, but I am very concerned about this cause nobody confirms if it really works. I am US citizen by naturalization and I am trying to file the I-130 for my spouse but i dont have my naturalization certificate cause i lost it and i cant find it, and on the I-130 form the certificate number is asked but i dont have it since i dont even have my certificate. Now, for what i read in the other discussions I could use my US passport as proof, but my questions is ... Does anybody already tried this ? without the certificate and just using the US passport .. and Did it work ? without problems .... cause I am afraid that if I send just the passport with all the documentation they are gonna ask me for the certificate which i dont have and my petition is gonna get denied.. PLEASE HELP I really need to know from somebody who knows this for sure and has already gone throught the same problem THANK YOU

Hi, we went through the same thing, when my hubby (a USC) was about to file for our CR1 he coudn't find his naturalization cert., so he had to reapply for a new one and it cost $380, they told him that he could go ahead a file the petition with just the receipt of the new certificate he applied for plus his passport.

Hope this helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Alien Number (A #) has nine digits on US permanent resident card and US naturalization certificate has eight digits written in RED on upper right corner.

To get new Naturalization certificate file N-565 form to USCIS. You can file either at Texas or Nebraska service center, depending where you live (check which one applicable to you) and filling fee is $380. It may take almost six months to receive new certificate.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.