Lisbeth

Lost with Taxes- 1st time LPR since March 2017

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello All,

Please help me with this request. I became LPR on 1st of March 2017 after GC activation (diversity visa).

I have been living in United Kingdom. I read that I should not be paying double taxes, (here in UK and there in USA).

My income last year was about 31K dollars (gross) and I already paid taxes for that amount here in UK.

How should I file my US taxes? It is a simple step? I have been trying to read different posts and also I completed a set of questions from the IRS but I really have no clue on what to do??

hopefully someone could give me some guidance.

Cheers!

Lis

Im sorry pardon? You are living in the UK? How long have you been there? You are an LPR? When was the last time you were in the USA?

You still need to file US taxes but you're seriously endangering your LPR status by not living and working in the USA. You really need a specialized accountant at this point so you don't shoot yourself in the foot and kill your lpr status completely, unless thats the plan?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Im sorry pardon? You are living in the UK? How long have you been there? You are an LPR? When was the last time you were in the USA?

You still need to file US taxes but you're seriously endangering your LPR status by not living and working in the USA. You really need a specialized accountant at this point so you don't shoot yourself in the foot and kill your lpr status completely, unless thats the plan?

Thanks for your comment. I am ok with my status. I want to do the right thing and I want to file my taxes. I am moving to USA on 03 of March complying with the requirement of not remain outside of US for more than 1 year.

You will have to prove you've maintained domicile in the USA as well.  Just a friendly fyi. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, Lisbeth said:

Hello All,

Please help me with this request. I became LPR on 1st of March 2017 after GC activation (diversity visa).

I have been living in United Kingdom. I read that I should not be paying double taxes, (here in UK and there in USA).

My income last year was about 31K dollars (gross) and I already paid taxes for that amount here in UK.

How should I file my US taxes? It is a simple step? I have been trying to read different posts and also I completed a set of questions from the IRS but I really have no clue on what to do??

hopefully someone could give me some guidance.

Cheers!

Lis

Just start reading this Publication 519 from the IRS US Tax Guide for Aliens https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf  and Publication 54 US Tax Guide for US Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
16 hours ago, NikLR said:

You will have to prove you've maintained domicile in the USA as well.  Just a friendly fyi. 

I appreciate your comments, I have not maintained domicile in the USA because I am not living in the USA. Diversity Visa process is different as far as I know. At the end of the day, if they consider I am not doing the things in the right way eventhoug I am complying with everything under the legal requirements, I am happy to defend my position.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.