AZSunshine78

Advice/Input needed from visa veterans

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I am in early June filer. I applied for an expedition due to financial hardship, in late August because I could see how slowly cases were being processed and my fiancé will be out of military housing and an income in January.

That request was denied. 

I will undoubtedly be in dire financial strain and will risk losing my own home if I have to provide funds for a separate household for him for x amount of time while going through this process.

My fiancé has no relatives that he is able to stay with in the U.K. He is estranged from his mother and has had minimal contact with his father since the time his parents divorced when he was 3.

im unsure what to do and feeling uncertain about my options.

I would like to file another request. Has anyone done this before? 

Thanks everyone.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If he is out of the military in January, can't he get another job at that time to support himself through the time frame? If you filed in June it may be only a month or two until his interview. Friends he could stay with? 

Filed: Timeline

You can file anotber request, but IMO it will get the sme result (denial).  Financial hardship usually needs to be more than just the expence of maintaining two households...otherwise, every couple could request an expedite.  USCIS is likely going to view it as a case where he is able to get some sort of job to support himself even if it is just enough to rent a room somewhere, while the process is moving forward.  It's what he would have to do if he was getting out of the military and didn't have a US fiancee.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

If he is out of the military in January, can't he get another job at that time to support himself through the time frame? If you filed in June it may be only a month or two until his interview. Friends he could stay with? 

Yes, that is what he will be doing but he doesn't have a residence so I'm not sure how getting a job would work if he has nowhere to live.

he lives in a very small village and has been house through the military his entire life so doesn't know anyone outside of his barracks

Edited by AZSunshine78

Timeline
4 minutes ago, jan22 said:

You can file anotber request, but IMO it will get the sme result (denial).  Financial hardship usually needs to be more than just the expence of maintaining two households...otherwise, every couple could request an expedite.  USCIS is likely going to view it as a case where he is able to get some sort of job to support himself even if it is just enough to rent a room somewhere, while the process is moving forward.  It's what he would have to do if he was getting out of the military and didn't have a US fiancee.

I appreciate your input.  We thought we would have enough time based on processing times we reviewed but we were mistaken and now are just trying to figure out what to do. 

Thank you you for the advice.

Has he applied for council housing ? 

If not he should put his name down now - he will also stand a better chance of getting a place if he’s willing to relocate to any part of the uk, most people want to live closer to London so the lists for housing are longer then those willing to move further north, he may also qualify for housing benefit once he leaves the army in January along with job seekers allowance. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, martin bk said:

Has he applied for council housing ? 

If not he should put his name down now - he will also stand a better chance of getting a place if he’s willing to relocate to any part of the uk, most people want to live closer to London so the lists for housing are longer then those willing to move further north, he may also qualify for housing benefit once he leaves the army in January along with job seekers allowance. 

Never crossed our minds. Thank you

Filed: Country:
Timeline

the uk has many good welfare programs. they have a job seeking allowance and a housing benfit. it will not be a great place and he may need to move but he will get a roof over his head and some money to spend on food. 

Edited by f f

Sound like he has enough time to find a new career and rent a place out until January.

Harsh truth is that a lot of soldier who leave military has no plan for their next career. They don't go to school or don't save money and the moment they leave military they realize they have a problem. And I say that as a military spouse myself. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

What help can I get with housing before I leave the services?

If you are leaving the Armed Forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.

You can get help through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO).

They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you are about to return to civilian life. If you are a veteran currently living in Armed Forces housing, they can help you move out and find a civilian home.

You can contact JSHAO in the following ways:

Joint Service Housing Advice Office
Floor 1 Zone 1 
Montgomery House 
Queen's Avenue 
Aldershot
Hampshire 
GU11 2JN

Advice line: 01252 787574 
Email: AWS-JSHAO-Mailbox@mod.uk 

In England and Wales, if you need specially adapted accommodation, for example, because you are disabled or have a disabled child, you can apply to have your details entered on to one or more Accessible Housing Registers.

For more information about Accessible Housing Registers in England and Wales, see Finding accommodation.

What help can I get in finding a home as a veteran?

If you are a veteran, you can get help to find somewhere to live from your local council. They can give you free advice on housing options, and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

For more information about the advice available from your local housing authority, see Finding accommodation.

You can find details of your local council on the GOV.UK website at www.gov.uk.

In Northern Ireland, to apply for social housing, contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. You can find details of your nearest district office on the NIHE website:

Telephone: 03448 920920

If you are single you can get help from The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex Services (SPACES).

SPACES helps single ex service personnel find housing throughout the United Kingdom which can be temporary or permanent. If you contact them within six months of leaving the Armed Forces they may be able to help you find accommodation. If you have been out of the Armed Forces for more than six months they can provide you with information and advice on housing.

You can contact SPACES at:

SPACES
Regional Resettlement Centre
St. Aidan's Road
Catterick Garrison

Catterick
North Yorkshire
DL9 3AY

Telephone: 01748 833797 or 01748 872940 or 01748 830191
Fax: 01748 835774
Email: spaces@echg.org.uk

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.