5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know whether or not this is a common question from those applying for a Green Card but I hope someone can answer my question (preferably from experience) be it first or second hand.

I have seem that "Harmful Behavior" (also categorized along side of "self-harm") can deem you inadmissible. I have a lot of very obvious self-harm scars on my arms. It's also very obvious that they are decades old, though. My lawyer has advised me to not disclose this unless they are noticed and I am asked about it.  I otherwise, I appear perfectly normal and sane (lol). It was a mistake I made very young and unfortunately it's evidence is carried with me. I have no present mental health issues and I do not wish to disclose any past mental health issues during the exam.

So what typically happens during this Medical Exam? Will I be required to wear a gown or will I just be able to wear long sleeves to cover my arms? If the scars are noticed would it be inappropriate for me to request that it not be documented in the exam?

Advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They're gonna need at least one of your arms for blood work, otherwise for me it was a very typical check-up, X-ray, and bloodwork. They're mostly concerned about your current health status, that your shots are up-to-date, and stuff. I wouldn't bother saying anything about the scars, and if they don't ask, then great.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't ask don't tell.  The doctor may ask. It's best to get a recent doctors note saying that you're not a danger to yourself or others just in case.  But do not lie

Edited by Transborderwife

You won't be able to hide the marks as they will very likely see them during the ordinary course of the medical. You don't have to tell them about the scars, but they may ask you about them. Be truthful. They may also ask you about them if you have something related to them documented in your history.

If they do believe you are potentially engaging in harmful behavior (or at risk to do so), they may refer you to a psychologist to do an evaluation.

You can ask that they not document something, but they are under no obligation to follow it either.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the help.

I'm nervous that they may notice the scars, not mention it to me, and then document it and place me as inadmissible. Perhaps that is just a bit of anxiety. I will definitely get a note a psychiatrist to help ease that. Is the consensus here that I shouldn't disclose it unless I am asked, any way? I don't want to seem like I'm hiding anything either. I would be devastated if I lost this amazing relationship because of something I did as a child coming back to kick me in the butt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.