Louv

Advice on I 864 assets? Co sponsor?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello all.

This forum has been a lot of help for us. I have just moved to the US in my K1 and we are planning to get married on may 13 and then filing for AOS.

However my US fiance does not meet the 125%, he is 3000 short. (17000 vs 20000)

17000 was his income for 2016 shown on latest tax return. 

We have several options for "filling in the gap" but we don't know what would be best and thought we would ask for your advice on what would be better for our situation

Option 1) assets. He has enough money in a mutual fund to cover 3x the difference by far. I believe this mutual fund is considered a liquid asset? However it is a high risk mutual fund (growth fund)...

Option 2) he plans on making 23000 this year (2017) which would be enough but we won't have any proof of this except for letters of employers stating salary. He doesn't have any pay stubs for one of his jobs they just pay him checks. He has check stubs.. and the other job is seasonal so he hasn't started it yet this year... would letters be enough?

Option 3) Co sponsor...

What do you think would be better for our situation? I am worried for option 1 about the mutual funds being a high risk one even though he has had more money on it every year and can show it, and about option 2 I do not know if we can state 23000 as current income (planned income for 2017?) and if the employer letters would be enough. 

We just want to pick the option that would avoid an rfe, including a co sponsor if the other 2 options are risky...

Thank you so much for your advice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Co-sponsor then.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Definitely choose a co-sponsor.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

So, update... co sponsor is self employed even though his business makes over 100 000 $ his line 22 showing income is negative after all the deductions... he has assets...

We were thinking of trying it this way: 

His tax returns from last 3 years are under 125% but he will make over this year (22 000$), limit is 20 000$. We were going to have his employers write letters confirming that his jobs are stable and stating annual salary for 2017...

Also we want to declare his 28000 $ in mutual funds. Although it is considered a high risk mutual fund (growth fund) it has grown steadily and he has had it a long time and it meets by far the gap he would have between income in 2016 and limit (3000$ x3 if I am correct)?

If we get rfe then we could have the joint sponsor but based on assets become of negative income (again, self employed)...

Do you think we could make it with that? Any advice would be helpful on what else to include... he doesn't have pay stubs for one of his jobs though because it is seasonal (but stable he has worked there for a long time) 

Thank you...

Also I have assets(savings in france) as the foreign citizen that I could include but don't know how: have them transferred to US? Is it possible to show a joint account with those savings on it even though it would be recent? 

Thanks...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.