9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, I'm a Canadian who married an American in WA in April under a K-1 visa.

On November 22, 2016, we received our Request for Applicant to appear for initial interview for our Form I-485 Application to register permanent residence or adjust status.

It set our interview date for December 19, 2016. Problem though is we have flights booked and have invested a lot of money to spend time with my great aunt.

Instead of checking with visajourney forums about rescheduling an interview, I just called the USCIS Service Center and put in a request to reschedule.

On Dec. 2, I received an email from USCIS saying that my request to reschedule my interview was approved and that I would receive a new notice once a new appointment was scheduled.

It was only after receiving this email that I read up on visajourney about the perils of trying to reschedule AOS interviews. And now I am VERY NERVOUS!

As it's been 5 days since we received the email saying that our request to reschedule has been approved, I decided to check our I-485 receipt number on the government's website and it is still listing us as having the interview on December 19.

I've heard horror stories of people receiving approval of a change in interview date by USCIS but that they fail to notify the local office, who still expects you to show up the original date and therefore deny you when you miss the date.

So what the heck should I do?

Make an appointment to speak with someone at the USCIS office we'd be doing the interview at before we're supposed to leave?

Reschedule our trip, not knowing whether our date is still on Dec. 19 or will be moved, as per our original request?

Filed: Timeline

or is it a confirmation number that your request to change the interview was accepted?? These are two different wordings... Please read it carefully. Basically when you put in a service request for something they open a "case" to ask for whatever it is you want. If you call on the phone the phone person does this. They make a case and enter in the details and then it gets bounced around to the people who need to handle it. Eventually it makes it way back to you via email and a letter in the mail with the official response. There can be various updates through out the process saying things like request received, need more info, request denied, or request approved.

IF you got the FINAL request approved confirmation then you shouldnt have any problem.

It can take a while for a new slot to open in your local office. You may not get the new interview date before you leave. If there are any open slots through info pass at your local office and you have time you can go down there and verify that they have gotten your cancellation info and that you are in fact in line to be scheduled for a new appt. This would put your mind at ease. Bring the paperwork showing your approved confirmation that you got from the service request.

For rescheduling- they dont have to reschedule you for a planned trip. It is at their discretion. They seemed to have approved you, which is great!

Let us know how it goes!

Timeline

or is it a confirmation number that your request to change the interview was accepted?? These are two different wordings... Please read it carefully. Basically when you put in a service request for something they open a "case" to ask for whatever it is you want. If you call on the phone the phone person does this. They make a case and enter in the details and then it gets bounced around to the people who need to handle it. Eventually it makes it way back to you via email and a letter in the mail with the official response. There can be various updates through out the process saying things like request received, need more info, request denied, or request approved.

IF you got the FINAL request approved confirmation then you shouldnt have any problem.

It can take a while for a new slot to open in your local office. You may not get the new interview date before you leave. If there are any open slots through info pass at your local office and you have time you can go down there and verify that they have gotten your cancellation info and that you are in fact in line to be scheduled for a new appt. This would put your mind at ease. Bring the paperwork showing your approved confirmation that you got from the service request.

For rescheduling- they dont have to reschedule you for a planned trip. It is at their discretion. They seemed to have approved you, which is great!

Let us know how it goes!

Hi Damara,

Thank you for your help!

I received an email from USCIS-CaseStatus@dhs.gov that states the following:

"U.S. Department of Homeland Security

USCIS
12500 Tukwila International Boulevard
Seattle,WA 98168
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Friday, December 2, 2016
On 11/22/2016 you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:
Caller indicated they are: Applicant or Petitioner
Case type: I485
Filing date: 06/20/2016
Receipt #:
Referral ID: (USCIS Customer service person + Receipt number)
Your USCIS Account Number (A-number):
Type of service requested: -- Interview Reschedule
The status of this service request is:
On November 22, 2016, you or your representative contacted USCIS concerning your I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to notify us that you would like to request to reschedule your interview. Below is a summary of what we found and how the issue has been or may be resolved.
USCIS has received and approved your request to reschedule your interview. We will mail you a new notice as soon as a new appointment is scheduled.
Please see the "Online Services" below to check the status of your case in the near future."
Today I went to check my case status + typed in my Receipt Number on the USCIS website. It is still showing my interview as scheduled for December 19, 2016. So I called the USCIS number and talked to one of their customer service reps and they keep saying that since I received an email confirming that they've approved my request + it's showing up in their system as approved, that I shouldn't have a problem. I don't know whether I should trust this, due to the horror stories.

Filed: Timeline

Well that seems to me to be a solid approval of your request... Like I said, if you want extra assurance you can go to your local office via an infopass appt and confirm with them in person that you are in line to be scheduled when a slot opens up. Thats really all you can do.

Are you traveling internationally?

Timeline

Well that seems to me to be a solid approval of your request... Like I said, if you want extra assurance you can go to your local office via an infopass appt and confirm with them in person that you are in line to be scheduled when a slot opens up. Thats really all you can do.

Are you traveling internationally?

No we are not traveling internationally. Just flying a number of hours out of state. If worse came to worse, the USCIS office in the state we're traveling to is only a 10 minute drive away from where we'll be staying.

• 7 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
On 12/7/2016 at 6:01 PM, angey_blueskies said:

The only thing that has me concerned is how, when I type in my receipt number on the USCIS website, it is still showing my interview as scheduled for December 19, 2016.

Hi, can I ask if your AOS interview was successfully rescheduled later? Thank you.

ROC I751: LIN/NSC

Filed: May 30, 2019

Date Received: June 3, 2019

18 months extension received: June 6, 2019.

Bio Appointment Notice Received: November 1, 2019

Bio Date: November 15, 2019

Approval Date (web notice): June 10, 2020.

Notice of Card Being Produced: June 18, 2020.

Card Arrived in Mail: June 23, 2020.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
16 hours ago, hereicomecali said:

Hi, can I ask if your AOS interview was successfully rescheduled later? Thank you.

This is an old post from Dec 2016. You should start a new post with your questions. Current update of cases differs. If you have requested for an interview to be rescheduled. Did you get a confirmation email that it is approved? You can call the USCIS CSR line and find out more, also you should schedule an infopass at your local field office to sure it was approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.