aahn90

conditional-to-citizenship via military

12 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Good day to everyone! This is my very first post here on VJ!

Here it goes~

1) after receiving Conditional Permanent Resident and receiving my Green Card, am I allowed to enlist into the US Military BEFORE having to wait for the 2 years anniversary to drop the Conditional status?

If so, my understanding is that , the military will naturalize me to a US citizen much faster than if I waited for the the 2 year mark and then applying for citizenship. However, I am also curious what happens to the whole green card process...

2) does it get bypassed and everything regarding Greencard become a thing of the past? Will I run into any complications? This is sort of a open ended question...

I have interest in serving in the military as a career and I would like to do it asap.

Thanks everyone

What branch of the military are you wanting to enter into?

You will need a green card to get into the military to begin with. Then they can expedite your naturalization. Make sure you mention that's what you want to any recruiter.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

With the conditional greencard you would be able to join (just not airforece)

I am joining the Navy myself (asvab/meps coming tuesday) and have been told 2 different stories.

One recruiter told me i can not become citizen through military and have to keep going on with the regular process (he also said i had to be able to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes)

And the recruiter I am with now (because the first one left before i had my diploma changed) says I CAN go for citizenship right after bootcamp (and also said I do not have to run)

So I honestly cant tell you, but as I hear around me people all say that you can go for citizenship during/after bootcamp, plus comin week i will know if i have to be able to run and see who is misinforming me haha

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/2015 - Receive K1 (texas backlog drama, took a year!)

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 000) 03/10/16 - Filed AOS (with EAD and AP)

(Day 001) 03/14/16 - Received EAD+AP

(Day 004) 03/18/16 - Received AOS

(Day 005) 03/19/16 - NOA1 SMS & Email x3

(Day 009) 03/23/16 - NOA1 Hardcopy x3

(Day 016) 03/30/16 - Biometrics letter received

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 051) 05/04/16 - Approval EAD & AP

(Day 055) 05/08/16 - NOA2 EAD & AP in the mail and online changed to approved

(Day 063) 05/16/16 - Approval AOS

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 067) 05/20/16 - NOA2 AOS Hardcopy and online status change

(Day 086) 06/08/16 - EAD Mailed to me

(Day 088) 06/10/16 - GC Mailed to me

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

(Day 091) 06/13/16 - Greencard received

You do have to run. Everyone enlisted in the military has to do PT.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

You do have to run. Everyone enlisted in the military has to do PT.

To join, obviously u gonna learn the running at bootcamp

Met around 2011/2012 in a game (league of legends) super random, best friends ever since... grew closer as friends and desided in 2013 to try dating, flew over and we had a click =)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

(Day 030) 04/13/16 - Biometrics done (very quiet in Providence (RI) just one other family and me)

(Day 065) 05/18/16 - Called tier 2 officer to ask where my AOS is at (RFE, Waiver, Interview etc, what to expect) got as answer it's approved...

(Day 089) 06/11/16 - EAD & AP combocard received (It still came eventho it's useless since AOS approval)

• 8 months later...

Hi I am also joining the Army National Guard and would like to get my citizenship through serving. Do you have any advice for me ? How was the IV after the n400 was sent ? Thanks

Oh yes, you will definitely run. You will run and run and run. It doesn't matter what branch. And it would be a good idea to start running now. I was in the Army and coached my wife when she joined the Air Force. It took her awhile to get her run time where it should be. But she was there before she went to basic training in the Air Force. That was 5 years ago, and she runs about 3 times a week the entire time. She has a PT test next month, in fact. You will run, do your push-ups and sit-ups. You will also have to meet the body fat standards. It doesn't matter what branch of service. 

My wife already had her permanent resident status when she joined. She couldn't take any jobs though that required a secret clearance since she was not a US citizen. But 2 months after basic training she became a naturalized US Citizen. They expedited it for her because of her military status. Air Force is kind of funny. There were 9 permanent residents in her group when she went through basic training, but they would only naturalize one person out of that group during basic. I don't understand why, especially since my wife brought all her paperwork with her. I was thorough in making sure she had all she needed to naturalize during basic. But she DID get it expedited right after basic. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 10:06 PM, SanneW said:

To join, obviously u gonna learn the running at bootcamp

Hi how did it go? I am planning to join the military same branch as my husband but I am not fit  like I can't push ups and sit ups . I am 5'3 and 125lbs to me I feel like over 200lbs when I tried sit ups can't even lift my back lol I never workout so I am a little bit nervous about this. please let me know how it goes.

Edited by mrs.hernandez189
incomplete

1 hour ago, mrs.hernandez189 said:

Hi how did it go? I am planning to join the military same branch as my husband but I am not fit  like I can't push ups and sit ups . I am 5'3 and 125lbs to me I feel like over 200lbs when I tried sit ups can't even lift my back lol I never workout so I am a little bit nervous about this. please let me know how it goes.

Before you join, make sure you can do the work.  Time for a gym pass!

Timeline
14 hours ago, mrs.hernandez189 said:

It went better than i expected! I made sure to let my RDC's know my weak points (fitness) and i managed to go from 0 push-ups, few situps to what is needed and even over and i halved my run time in bootcamp and i passed my mid-prt even so the final one was for sure. As long as you push yourself. If anything you will "just" graduate later and go to fit... 

But be sure about your choice, especially dual-military... its pretty tough times.. but since june ive been to the azores and new orleans so im havin fun :)

Proposed in Oktober 2014

12/2014 - File K1

12/26/15 - P.O.E. Boston

01/20/16 - Marriage =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.