Taskova

NEED HELP PLEASE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I went to my home country. I have registered my marriage and change my passport with my married name. The flight is with Lufthansa operated by United airlines. None of those airlines is capable to change my last name. Any advice what i should do. Lufthansa is saying that United airline should change my last name and the other way too ... Any advice what i can do? will I have some problems of the admission in the USA? I have my old passport (stamped reissued) and my new Passport my marriage certificate another official document stating that my maiden name and my married name is the same person.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you

9fdac7a7ab.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You shouldn't have changed your name abroad because that name won't match your US records. What most ppl usually do is to use your old name in the passport but have your marriage license with you to confirm your identity but you did the reverse.

Or try showing them your marriage certificate.

if that fails,try setting an appointment with the local embassy and see what can be done.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

I think I understand what's going on.

You have round trip tickets. You flew out of the US with your maiden name and now you are going to fly back into the US with your married name. But the airlines don't want to change your tickets. Sounds more like an airline security issue rather than an immigration issue. If you have your old passport and marriage cert then you should be allowed back in the US.

As for the airlines, that's another beast to deal with.

Quick question, are the old and new passport numbers the same?

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

The old and the new passport isntt with the same numbers. I have my old passport (maiden name) in which there is a stamp saying reissued) and new passport (married name) and a flight ticket with my Maiden name. Nobody wants to change my last name and I was told to bring with me all the papers I have which are stating the name change. I dont know how people deal with the name change? Is it so difficult from the airline to change my last name? I will let you know what will happen tomorrow. if somebody has some advice please feel free to share. There wasnt any way that i could carry two valid passports that/s why i have a stamp and holes on my old one. but i will still carry it with me

9fdac7a7ab.png

Ah, so it is not just a name change but also a passport number change. When you bought the tickets you probably entered your old passport number also.

Call the airlines and see if you can fly under your maiden name since the tickets already reflect that. You have all the proper docs. You shouldn't have a problem but be prepared to escalate it to a supervisor if needed.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I went to my home country. I have registered my marriage and change my passport with my married name. The flight is with Lufthansa operated by United airlines. None of those airlines is capable to change my last name. Any advice what i should do. Lufthansa is saying that United airline should change my last name and the other way too ... Any advice what i can do? will I have some problems of the admission in the USA? I have my old passport (stamped reissued) and my new Passport my marriage certificate another official document stating that my maiden name and my married name is the same person.

I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you

You shouldn't have any problem of the admission in the US - just keep your old passport (even if it says reissued) along with your new one, GC or EAD (don't know which one you have) and Marriage Cert..

The main problem might be - to get out of your home country, then, if you have a connection somewhere else - to be allowed the boarding for the next flight.

The thing is the name in your travel document and in your ticket must match. Otherwise you can be denied the boarding by the Air Company.

I had the same situation a year ago. I bought a round trip ticket on my maiden name, went to Ukraine, got my maiden name changed in my passport.

My round trip ticket was bought through Delta/Air France. So, I went to Delta's Office in Ukraine to get my last name changed in the ticket. They told me I should be fine, that they understand it is still the same person (ME), blah -blah - I just should keep my old passport along with new one and marriage certificate. Ok, sounded good.. until I asked if they guarantee my check-in and boarding..

So, from that moment the "fun" began. Delta says I have to start the change in the ticket from the AF, because they are FIRST on my long way back. But AF refuses because the ticket is bought through Delta.. >??? "blind alley" :(

Anyway, after e-mailing all my stuff (both passports, marriage cert.) and HOURS on the phone - I'm in Ukraine with AF, my husband in the US - with Delta - we got my name changed in the ticket.

So, I would suggest you to try again.. Air Companies usually use Amadeus system for ticketing and so.. It's really POSSIBLE for them to make changes.

Wish you luck and as I said - you shouldn't worry about your admission in the US. Here you will be good. The main - a check-in at the airport in your home country.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.