DaniDimo

Adopting my step son

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi VJ folks,

First, I am not sure if I have to ask this question here, but here I go.

My husband is a permanent resident and he has a son who just turned 18 years, lives in Europe with his mother. We want to bring his son in USA, but have no idea where to start. Reading some cases online it says we need about $4000 for a lawyer.. However, what's the process of me/us adopting him? I am a US citizen.. What documents we will need from Europe? Mother?

Thanks in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your husband would probably petition him, see the guides.

How old was he when you married?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

If you both got married before the son turned 18 then you can petition for him as a step-parent. This is fairly straightforward and if you can follow the guides, a lawyer is really not necessary.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/childpet

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You can not bring him to the US by adopting him. An adoption must be finalized by the child's 16th birthday in order to qualify for an immigration benefit through the adopting parent.

If you married his father before his 18th birthday, then you can petition for him as his stepparent. This will take about a year for a visa.

If you married his father after his 18th birthday, then you can not petition for him.

Dad as an LPR can file for him. This will take about two years for a visa.

Best of luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

The kid is 18 and my fiance and I are going to get married soon. We do live together so that's why I'm calling him my husband, not even realizing it is an immigration page and some details are very very important and also Don't want to sound like a liar since I did state he is my husband.. Sorry about that.

Mother is still alive and he lives with her.

So if I can't apply since we are not married yet and fiance is a permanent resident, how he can apply? Where?

I really do appreciate your help.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Yes, your fiance can petition for him as an LPR. Read the guide I linked.

Best of luck!

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.