rorysspeed

What do I do now??? :)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So our NOA2 was approved September 18 and still haven't heard anything from anyone. I'm confused as to where the paperwork is going. Does it go to nvc or dos? What do I need further? Are there other forms I need to full out? I know that I'll have to provide proof of support (i-130?). I didn't realize either that I'll have to pay additional fees to nvc prior to our paperwork is sent to the embassy kiev. If anyone is going through this frustrating process and knows the answers please please let know. I will be greatly appreciative!

It can take a month for the NVC to receive the case, it was so for us. You may want to contact the NVC to see if they have assigned a case number yet. NVC is part of DoS by the way. I'm not sure you have to pay anything to the NVC for a K1 visa, unless they've changed it. That I know they're supposed to send the case to the embassy/consulate and you have to submit things like the DS160 and pay the fees get medical, etc. I did this 3 years ago and hardly remember the steps. Hopefully someone will clarify further on the next steps. Good luck.

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

If you filed the I-129F there aren't additional fees at NVC. That's normally a two week stopping station and you're welcome to call them at this point and see if they've forwarded it your consulate. You should receive a letter in the mail from them with your case number when they send it on. When you get that you can go on the CEAC website and track your case under the immigrant visas. When it arrives at the consulate then there's more fees for the K-1 visa and the medical. If you look under the guides here that should clear some questions up.

Good luck with your journey!

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you both of you for your responses. I called the nvc a couple weeks ago and they told me that once they receive our paperwork that they'll be sending a bill out for the i-130 & something else which came out to be $440. So you're saying that it may just go from the nvc to kiev without notifying me? Sorry for the ignorant questions.

Thank you both of you for your responses. I called the nvc a couple weeks ago and they told me that once they receive our paperwork that they'll be sending a bill out for the i-130 & something else which came out to be $440. So you're saying that it may just go from the nvc to kiev without notifying me? Sorry for the ignorant questions.

You are getting the I-130 (petition for alien relative...or spousal visa) confused with the I-134 (affidavit of support). You filed an I-129F petition for your fiancé. You do not get processed at NVC, they will not send you a bill and you pay nothing to them. You also do not fill out an I-130. Once your case is received at NVC, a case number will be generated for your petition and it will be sent off to the embassy where your fiancé will interview for the visa. Normally it only takes maybe a couple days before its in transit to the embassy. You can call NVC every day, ask them if they received your case yet and if so if they have a case number for you. They will ask for your USCIS receipt number. Once you have your NVC case number, you can track the case to see when it leaves NVC and arrives at the embassy. Track the case here: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw== Choose Immigrant Visa, and in the box below enter your NVC case number.

Once your case is at the embassy, your fiancé will need to do things to prepare for the visa interview. One of the things needed from you is the Form I-134 affidavit of support. You can print out the form for free here: http://www.uscis.gov/i-134

Here is the instruction packet for the K-1 visa for your fiancé's country: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ukraine/895/pdf/K_Instructions_001.pdf

Here is also another guide from the embassy's website for fiancé visas: http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/fiancee.html

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

I agree with Zedayn, you do not need an I-130 for the K1 visa. This form will be filled out after your fiancé is in the US, you are married and submit it with the adjustment of status forms.

I agree with Zedayn, you do not need an I-130 for the K1 visa. This form will be filled out after your fiancé is in the US, you are married and submit it with the adjustment of status forms.

:no: Nope. A K-1 adjusting status does not submit an I-130. Only the AOS forms are submitted.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

:oops: Sorry about that, I was thinking about something else. Where is my mind today?

:no: Nope. A K-1 adjusting status does not submit an I-130. Only the AOS forms are submitted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.