Jahan&Veena

London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors

2,055 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

London Medical – Knightsbridge Doctors – Bentinck Mansions

I had my medical at Bentinck Mansions on 2nd March 2011.

I am writing this to highlight points that I haven’t seen written about on visajourney already. Nich-Nick’s Tips for K1’s was particularly helpful. The other reports had given me an excellent appreciation of what was going to happen at the medical. I read many of them. Thanks to all who contributed. It helped to make me feel confident and to be un-phased by all that was asked of me on the day. Let’s face it scrubbing around in partial undress can be distracting.

The letter requesting the medical was only received a week after my medical. It was only with insight from VisaJourney.com and the dogged persistence of my fiancé to phone the DOS to illicit the information that I had an LND number, then that the Embassy had received the petition and then the Embassy ($16 call) that we could make the medical appointment with the Doctors. The delay of the letter would have extended my visa journey by 2 weeks if he hadn’t been so pro-active.

At the same time he paid for the interview (in advance). They e-mailed confirmation of the intention to interview but not the date. This may have raised my profile within the organization because a further DOS call by my fiancé started with the words “Fiona has….” They knew my name.

In advance of the medical I had been to the GP to get some of the vaccinations and had requested my medical notes. The GP nurse and administrative staff were sent into a spin by my requests and I had to nudge them gently into compliance. Printing off the Embassy page Interview Preparation to talk through with them helped with that dialogue and sheer smiling persistence won through. I recommend approaching the GP months ahead of the medical time scale. Some of the vaccinations come in 2 parts given across 2 to 3 months some even longer. I had an MMR injection. Part 1 and part 2 had to be a month apart. It’s worth checking sooner rather than later.

My appointment was at 8.50 a.m. I was there well in advance (just in case the London Transport System was struggling that morning) I was travelling from Hertford. I went for a coffee after I’d located where the Mansions were. I arrived at the Doctors 10 minutes before the appointment. This gave time for me to fill in another questionnaire and use the bathroom! The waiting room had 5 other people already waiting. I anticipated a long morning. Not so. I was one of the first to be seen. They have a system where your appointment time is on a lollypop stick tucked into your file. They seemed to be following a booking plan. Take something to read or do.

I was first taken to a room to be x-rayed by a quiet professional nurse. She seemed mindful of privacy and dignity when getting changed and being x-rayed. She also gave clear advice about what to do next.

Then, I saw the nurse who wanted to talk about my vaccinations. Varicella came up. I’ve had chicken pox so that dispensed the need for the varicella, she said. I needed one other injection. She offered that I get it done with my local GP and fax the proof back to her. That would have delayed the notes going to the Embassy. I opted to get it done at the medical. She was skilled and quick and it was over in a very short time.

On my form she ticked a box that said that my immunization was incomplete (No varicella) then wrote, in medical code, in a table that I had had chicken pox. The nurse was at pains to tell me that this would not affect my interview and visa. We are currently wondering how the “Incomplete” nature of my records will affect me when it comes to applying for my change of status.

Then I saw the Doctor. The one that many had experienced brusqueness from that one doesn’t want to experience whilst in a house coat on a medical table. She was clear with me about what she was doing and why. Equally clear about what I might do to improve my general health. She was pleased I had a limited amount of caffeine. She explained the ills of alcohol on the body.

The advice of someone who said, ‘she’s not going to be a friend, she’s doing a job’ helped me. Towards the end of the interview she then chatted and became quite personable.

I sensed that her job must be very repetitive and possibly, at times, be undemanding of her capabilities. She became interested and more thoughtful when I became more interesting to her.

Then it was over. I was out by 10. 00a.m.: Lighter of wallet by 225 pounds and lighter of spirit.

I was told by the receptionist that my medical records would be at the Embassy in 4 working days and that they’d then call me for interview. I now have an interview on the 24th March. 22 days after my medical.

I wish all the best, to those of you awaiting your medical. I hope what I have written gives another useful insight into the process.

A thought came to me during the medical that the experience at the medical will be something that I very quickly forget when the visa arrives and my life can start again with the person I love.

I was at the Doctors about the same time as you! lol :)

I got there about quarter to three I think, but I didn't get out till after half four! I only thing different to your experience is that I received the MMR jab. :)

Hi Richard,

So funny to read that it was you sat next to me on the creaky leather couch.

I hope the rest of your visa journey goes well and you are reunited with your wife again as soon as possible.

Good luck :thumbs:

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

On my form she ticked a box that said that my immunization was incomplete (No varicella) then wrote, in medical code, in a table that I had had chicken pox. The nurse was at pains to tell me that this would not affect my interview and visa. We are currently wondering how the "Incomplete" nature of my records will affect me when it comes to applying for my change of status.

I also have the tick in the box to say that my vaccine history is incomplete. I was told that it is because Tdap gets renewed every 10 years(if you want to). And the receptionist also reassured me that it would not affect any part of the adjustment process.

ROC Timeline

2gsxvmz.png

Hi Richard,

So funny to read that it was you sat next to me on the creaky leather couch.

I hope the rest of your visa journey goes well and you are reunited with your wife again as soon as possible.

Good luck :thumbs:

Thank you!

And best wishes to you and your other half too. :)

CR1 VISA

Jul 23 2010 - MARRIED

Aug 26 2010 - I-130 received by USCIS

Jan 21 2011 - Approved by USCIS

Mar 04 2011 - NVC received

Mar 15 2011 - Medical

Mar 30 2011 - NVC COMPLETED

Apr 14 2011 - Packet 4 received

May 12 2011 - EMBASSY INTERVIEW

May 23 2011 - VISA received

May 26 2011 - Dulles POE

Jun 20 2011 - GREENCARD arrives

Timeline

Excellent post - thank you so much :-)

19th March 2008: Met online

Conversation rapidly developed and flowed via email, IM and thank goodness for Skype!!

Daily contact and three years of visits back and forth between the UK and USA.

Engaged late 2008

9th December 2010: Filed K1 Visa

15th December 2010: NOA1

18th February 2011: "Touched"

18th April 2011: RFE :-/

11th May 2011: RFE reply - after infopass visit discovered there was nothing missing from original filing??.... Resent same information with cover letter.

16th May 2011: NOA2 !!!!!!

25th May 2011: NVC Received

27th May 2011: Posted to London Consulate

On my form she ticked a box that said that my immunization was incomplete (No varicella) then wrote, in medical code, in a table that I had had chicken pox. The nurse was at pains to tell me that this would not affect my interview and visa. We are currently wondering how the “Incomplete” nature of my records will affect me when it comes to applying for my change of status.

I also have the tick in the box to say that my vaccine history is incomplete. I was told that it is because Tdap gets renewed every 10 years(if you want to). And the receptionist also reassured me that it would not affect any part of the adjustment process.

You should also have the box ticked about "may be eligible for a blanket waiver." Incomplete means you didn't take every shot on that long list because most are not age appropriate for adults. But you are eligible for a blanket waiver (automatically excused) because they weren't required for an adult.

For details see Technical Instructions for Panel Physicians and go to the section listed called Procedure for Completing the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (Form DS-3025)

The key point is:

•Completing "Part 2. Results."

After reviewing entries in "Part 1. Immunization Record" for all the vaccines, the appropriate box under "Part 2. Results" must be checked.

◦Vaccination history incomplete: Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s).

Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a panel physician and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. If any of the boxes under the "Not Medically Appropriate" heading was checked, the "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver(s) because vaccination(s) not medically appropriate (as indicated above)" box must also be checked.
This box will probably always be checked
because some vaccines may not be age appropriate for the applicant.

If you have MMR, one of the versions of Tdap/Td/DTP, and VH written by varicella on your DS-3025 then you are complete for USCIS and adjusting status. The only hitch is flu jab for the 2010-2011 season change. http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/updates/action-recommendations-flu-vaccine.html

Between Oct 1 and March 31, everyone over 6 months is supposed to get a flu jab. However the handbook for AOS states that if by the time they look at your application, a shot would no longer be required (like you aged out of child shots or it's not flu season) then you don't have to get it. If your AOS interview is before next flu season, then that excuses the flu jab. And it also states if your visa medical is not during flu season (April 1 to Sept 30) but it is flu season when your AOS case is judged, they excuse the flu jab because they go by what was required on the date of your medical. So that's good to know that even if they come up with another exotic shot before your AOS, you are covered by being complete on the date of your visa medical.

If your DS-3025 is complete with everything for your age (not longer than 10 years ago), you do not have to get a civil surgeon in the US to copy your record onto an I-693. If you go get shots after the medical, then you will have to pay a civil surgeon to put them on an I-693. And he will also probably require additional shots if it's a series thing; or anything new that came along by that date. Get complete by the date of your Knightsbridge medical (with just one of a series) and recorded on the DS-3025 and your done.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You should also have the box ticked about "may be eligible for a blanket waiver."

Yes, I have that box ticked also. :thumbs:

ROC Timeline

2gsxvmz.png

Hi Guys

Its great to read all the experiences people have had when going for their medical but I have a question I hope someone can answer. When they check your eyesight what are they checking for? My eyes are pretty bad from years of diabetic neglect when I was younger, can this have an effect on whether I can get a visa or not? I thought they were just checking for communicable diseases.

Thanks

Andy

Silence is golden, but Duck tape is silver.

Has anyone had any luck with rescheduling an appointment with them?

I have one for 9:30am on the 6th, and I am struggling to find a way of travelling there without staying over night (not something I can afford this month).

David.

K-1 Timeline:

14 Sep 2010 - Mailed in I-129F.

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

09 Jun 2011 - Visa in hand.

13 Aug 2011 - Wedding day.

AOS Timeline:

14 Oct 2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD forms.

21 Oct 2011 - NOA for AOS/EAD.

05 Nov 2011 - Case transferred to CSC.

08 Nov 2011 - Biometrics.

29 Dec 2011 - EAD in hand.

05 Jan 2012 - I-485 Approved (AOS).

11 Jan 2012 - I-551/Permanent Resident Card in hand.

Has anyone had any luck with rescheduling an appointment with them?

I have one for 9:30am on the 6th, and I am struggling to find a way of travelling there without staying over night (not something I can afford this month).

It's fine to change it, as long as you give them at least 3 days notice, otherwise they charge you £95...eek!!

It's fine to change it, as long as you give them at least 3 days notice, otherwise they charge you £95...eek!!

Thanks, I will call them up tomorrow first thing. I realise now this will push back the date of my medical and thus my interview, but still waiting on Katie's mum to get her proof of income... :) Cheers again.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

AOS Timeline:

Timeline

Hi Guys

Its great to read all the experiences people have had when going for their medical but I have a question I hope someone can answer. When they check your eyesight what are they checking for? My eyes are pretty bad from years of diabetic neglect when I was younger, can this have an effect on whether I can get a visa or not? I thought they were just checking for communicable diseases.

Thanks

Andy

They're just checking to see if you can read the board. However the doctor shines a flashlight or whatever you call it, towards your eye while you look straight ahead. Not sure what they're looking for.

They're just checking to see if you can read the board. However the doctor shines a flashlight or whatever you call it, towards your eye while you look straight ahead. Not sure what they're looking for.

The doc never shone a light in my eyes. Maybe because I wear spectacles. I guess different doctors will do different tests, as they see fit.

ROC Timeline

2gsxvmz.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had my medical today. First things first, I passed it (well awaiting the blood tests, but hey, I'm confident I don't have syphillis).

I will quickly write it up as I am exhausted (that word doesn't even begin to explain how tired I am right now).

Arrived in London around 9am - glad I had a later appointment, and walked through London, past Buck Palace and had a chat with the folks rigging cameras for the wedding. Then getting lost for the second time I finally managed to get to Bentinck Street. I walked around it twice before I realised I was looking for Bentinck Mansions, which is a big double fronted building on the corner. I buzzed Flat 4 (labelled as Knightsbridge Drs') and I was in.

Went in, and was met by the brusque girl on reception asking me if I had my paper work out and ready (I didn't - a lesson to anyone else, GET IT READY IN THE LOBBY BEFORE YOU GO IN). Handed everything over, was given the second questionaire to fill out - this is the one that goes to the Embassy, so listen to what she says.

Eventually called in to the nice Swedish(?) vaccinations nurse (or was she a Dr). She explained all my options (I hadn't got any of my VC's done prior) and I decided to get them done at my GP and have the GP fax/email over the results.

Then I got called straight into the chest x-ray. This constists of standing against the X-ray plate, back facing the machine. You have to hold your arms and shoulders in a position which is slightly uncomfortable, but not too difficult. Hold the lead apron against your bum and you're done.

Back to the waiting room to be called into the medical itself. I was examined by a blonde, female European doctor (she sounded Scandinavian or possibly German...?). She was really friendly and we had a good chat about things before she got down to the business in hand. Started off with me being weighed and measured (height) then she did my eye test (better than 20:20), blood pressure, which was high on my right arm, and borderline on my left - she said it was OK, but to get it checked. I did explain I was stressed and had just walked across London... ho hum. Then she took blood - no problem for me, I like watching the needle going in and the blood filling the syringe. Barely any pain.

Then she looked into my eyes with the light-thingy and the same with my mouth, all clear there. Then she asked me to strip down to my boxers and examined me from literally head to toe - checked my lymph glands, legs, feet, listened to my heart and then my lungs, then did my reflexes then the 'DC' - just a quick lift of the boxers and a feel (!) and she said I was done. Got dressed, had another little chat about the state of health in America, and how well I'd done losing all that weight (24 stone down to 17.5, and that I'd put more on since I'd spent time in the US).

Went back out to the waiting room and was called back in by the now slightly less brusque receptionist - we talked about my vaccinations and that I need to get them done and get them faxed or emailed over, but to call Knightsbridge to let them know otherwise the file will just sit there gathering dust. Then she asked for money :( I tried to crack a joke at this point but it fell flat - the vaccination nurse laughed and said: no it wasn't a bad joke, she just has no sense of humour ;) I said it was because I was a 'northern monkey' (in my best London accent) she said 'nahh, my mam's from Middlesboro' init, that's near Manchester, right?'. ;)

I think humour is wasted on these girls, not because they don't have a sense of humour, they just deal with so many people day in day out, we're all the same. I did tell her the wedding was in August and I'd better not loose any of these forms and she said: "yeah your fiancé won't be happy". She then wished me a sincere good luck with it all and that was it...

Phew.

On leaving I took a load of pictures of the route from Bond Street Tube station to the Doctors office - if anyone wants, I will write them up into a little article so anyone arriving at Bond Street can navigate their way. I came in to Victoria Coach station which is a little out of the way, but walking up Buckingham Palace Road and just keep heading north until you hit Oxford Street, then follow James Street all the way up until you hit Bentinck Street - it's pretty easy. Again, I shall put the pictures online somewhere with some text - it may help.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

AOS Timeline:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Did people wait for packet 3, or did you make the appointment as soon as you had the LND case number? unsure.gif

Ben

10/23/2009 - Met on eHarmony

09/20/2010 - Got engaged at the top of the London Eye 🙂

11/24/2010 - I-129F sent to Texas dropbox

11/29/2010 - I-129F received by CSC

03/21/2011 - Touched!

04/18/2011 - NOA2 approved by CSC 4 months 3 weeks after NOA1

07/18/2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!

09/20/2011 - Married!

10/11/2011 - AOS package mailed to Chicago lockbox

10/18/2011 - AOS package routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/19/2011 - I-765 EAD noted on USCIS site

10/22/2011 - I-797C for AOS and EAD received

11/08/2011 - AOS file transferred to CSC

11/10/2011 - Biometrics appointment in SLC

12/12/2011 - Green card received dated 11/23/11

09/20/2013 - I-751 sent to CSC

09/23/2013 - I-751 received at CSC - NOA1

10/18/2013 - Biometrics appointment in SLC

08/29/2020 - N400 Application submitted online

08/29/2020 - N400 fee taken

01/20/2021 - Biometrics re-use notification

04/14/2021 - Interview scheduled notification

05/11/2021 - Interview!

05/11/2021 - N-400 Recommended for Naturalization!

06/02/2021 - Naturalization oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.