KurosawaSan

J-1 Waiver as Former High School Student

13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Back in 2008-2009 I was part of a foreign student exchange program in an American High School (FLEX - https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/future-leaders-exchange)- it was funded by the US Department of State (~$15,000).

Since then, I returned back for about 15 months, and then returned back to study at University of Wisconsin on F-1. After the completion of my studies, I got a full-time offer at Facebook, and accepted it - the immigration lawyers here applied for PERM and all related green card paperwork.

Because I was subject to 2HRR, I applied for a waiver based on No Objection, and my embassy has already provided that - I submitted everything to DOS and am now waiting for the results.

Anyone here obtained a waiver under similar circumstances? What is the likelyhood of me getting it?

I hear that there might be complications because it received US funding.

Thank you all for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Another FLEX here :)

I've heard that its extremely difficult to get a waiver for the U.S. Department of State sponsored program. However, you only have 9 months of your 2YHRR left, so that might help.

Best of luck

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@KurosawaSan: Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I am a former FLEX student. I applied for a waiver and my government has already provided their No Objection statement. Someone already mentioned something similar to me, which is why I have been so worried. Do you know why they deny it especially after the NB statement is issued by the home government? Do you have any insight? Did you also apply under No Objection base? I would greatly appreciate anything I can learn to help my case. Thank you again!

Filed: Timeline

@KurosawaSan: Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I am a former FLEX student. I applied for a waiver and my government has already provided their No Objection statement. Someone already mentioned something similar to me, which is why I have been so worried. Do you know why they deny it especially after the NB statement is issued by the home government? Do you have any insight? Did you also apply under No Objection base? I would greatly appreciate anything I can learn to help my case. Thank you again!

The OP states the denial was due to government funding.

"(FLEX - https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/future-leaders-exchange)- it was funded by the US Department of State (~$15,000). "

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

@SHR_@ as @Umka36 mentioned, it's because of US Govt funds. In those cases, the No Objection statement doesn't matter because your home government is not the one sponsoring your program - they may not object, but DOS does.

• 10 months later...
16 hours ago, JJ379 said:

Hi,

I am also a former FLEX.  Is there no way, we might get approved? Is there a chance it could be case by case? Or would you think it's a definite NO on all former FLEX participants?

Thank you!

It won't be approved. 

If you want to study and get an F1 visa, that would be fine. But there is no way you'll get a waiver for a green card. You also don't qualify for an H1B visa because you have no college education.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.