Seraya

Traffic ticket before oath ceremony

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good Morning:

I got a speed limit ticket (78 out of 65) a few days before my oath ceremony. Do you believe they can move or cancel my oath ceremony?

I have my ceremony on october 23 and my court date on the 28 october. I am afraid they move or cancel my oath ceremony.

1. What should i do? I had been reading and every post said that i should pay it but I would like to do the course and do not have the ticket in my record which means to have the citation open by the day of the oath. Please advice, I am worry.

2. Did anyone have the experience on the oath date? How did that go?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good Morning:

I got a speed limit ticket (78 out of 65) a few days before my oath ceremony. Do you believe they can move or cancel my oath ceremony?

I have my ceremony on october 23 and my court date on the 28 october. I am afraid they move or cancel my oath ceremony.

1. What should i do? I had been reading and every post said that i should pay it but I would like to do the course and do not have the ticket in my record which means to have the citation open by the day of the oath. Please advice, I am worry.

2. Did anyone have the experience on the oath date? How did that go?

Check with your county, in Georgia as long as it's under 14 points it doesn't affect your driving record.

Another option is you can call the court and see if you can reschedule to go to court before your oct 28 date.

At the oath ceremony they may require a paid receipt for that ticket.

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why you Panic!!! a trafic ticket is not a criminal charge you will have the ticket open but nothing will be shows in your record because you are inocent until prove guilty

go to you Ceremony and afterward taka care of the ticket, by the time it will be registered in yourt record o perhaps dismissed you already become in American Citizen

CONGRATULATIONS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you had the interview before the ticket you don't have to worry if it was not over 500.00 dollars and no DUI your good to go,on October 23 have your oath ceremony don't worry take pictures be happy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

i dont understand why there is alot of concern over traffic tickets, even if this was before your interview it would not be an issue...enjoy your oath ceremony...congrats

Timeline

Thank you all for answering

I asked because in the N-445 form, they ask about that.

"Have you knowingly committed any crime or offense, for which you have not been arrested; or have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?

Below is an explanation in simple words: Did you break a law and not get arrested or did you break a law, including traffic violations, and get: arrested; given a citation or official notice to give testimony before a judge; charged by a law enforcement agency such as the police for breaking the law; indicted by a court of law for possibly breaking the law; convicted of breaking the law; ordered to pay a fine; or put in jail for breaking the law?

Reason: If you were arrested, USCIS needs to know what happened with your criminal case. You may not be eligible to be sworn in until charges and penalties have been determined. For this reason, USCIS needs to see a certified court disposition. If you do not have a court disposition, USCIS will request that you submit it at a later date. Even if you do not write it on your N-445, USCIS may find out if you have been arrested. This will cause a serious problem in the future if you do not tell the truth.

So I know it is not criminal but if they ask, it matters. isn't it?

I just want to know if I should pay ticket or fight it and have the issue open by the time of the oath.

BTW I am in Houston, TX.

There is a huge difference between CRIMINAL case versus a CIVIL case. Just like Misdemeanor vs Felony.

In your case it's a simple civil matter, don't even need to worry. Just take care of that afterwards and try not to be too much a lead foot next time.

Thank you all for answering

I asked because in the N-445 form, they ask about that.

"Have you knowingly committed any crime or offense, for which you have not been arrested; or have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined, or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?

Below is an explanation in simple words: Did you break a law and not get arrested or did you break a law, including traffic violations, and get: arrested; given a citation or official notice to give testimony before a judge; charged by a law enforcement agency such as the police for breaking the law; indicted by a court of law for possibly breaking the law; convicted of breaking the law; ordered to pay a fine; or put in jail for breaking the law?

Reason: If you were arrested, USCIS needs to know what happened with your criminal case. You may not be eligible to be sworn in until charges and penalties have been determined. For this reason, USCIS needs to see a certified court disposition. If you do not have a court disposition, USCIS will request that you submit it at a later date. Even if you do not write it on your N-445, USCIS may find out if you have been arrested. This will cause a serious problem in the future if you do not tell the truth.

So I know it is not criminal but if they ask, it matters. isn't it?

I just want to know if I should pay ticket or fight it and have the issue open by the time of the oath.

BTW I am in Houston, TX.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello Everybody

I just want to tell you what happen in my oath ceremony later that the speed limit ticket.

There was nothing to be scare about. The person how reviewed my information just asked me how fast I was going and that was it.

I did not have any problem for having a speed limit ticket between the interview and the ceremony.

The ceremony was pretty and I am so happy to be a citizen now.

Good luck to all you too.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes time after time this topic does come up and no the INS does not care about minor speeding tickets. They have stated that on their hotline and in person and yet it always comes up with a big debate.

The only reasons you may want to get documentation about speeding tickets under $500 and non DUI related, is when you have other issues or on going problems judging moral character on your N-400 on top of the speeding tickets. Then they may want to request your history on them. For the average person, this is not the case and it is a big unnecessary problem that people worry about.

If in the interview they ask you, then tell them the truth, if it's not the $500 or more and non DUI related, they will move on...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.