admortemfidelis

consequences of filing aos with expired I-94

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I entered with a k1 visa on april 8, 2013. Got married the next day after. My I-94 will expire july 6, but I dont think I can file the aos before that due to financial constraints. What would be the consequences if I file aos after july 6? Im really worried. Please help.

You would be out of status and, technically, deportable at any time; once your I-94 expires then you have no legal status and are considered illegally present in the US.

You should obviously file for AoS as soon as possible, because being out of status is not fun. The good news is that you can file for AoS at any time, even with overstay, provided that you married (and are still married to) your original petitioner. A K-1 can only ever adjust status based on marriage to whoever filed the I-129F that they were the beneficiary of.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

You would be out of status and, technically, deportable at any time; once your I-94 expires then you have no legal status and are considered illegally present in the US.

You should obviously file for AoS as soon as possible, because being out of status is not fun. The good news is that you can file for AoS at any time, even with overstay, provided that you married (and are still married to) your original petitioner. A K-1 can only ever adjust status based on marriage to whomever filed the I-129F that they were the beneficiary of.

g

Im really worried about deportation. Yes I married my original petitioner. I just dont want to get deported for filing aos a couple weeks after the I-94 expires.

The chances of you being detained by ICE in that short a timeframe are so remote as to not be worth considering.

Even if by some freak of chance you were detained, since you have immediate relief available (through AoS based on marriage to your petitioner) then your chances of deportation would be essentially zero, assuming that there are no other issues.

In short, they don't sharpen the pitchforks and ready the thumb-screws for someone filing a few weeks late.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

The chances of you being detained by ICE in that short a timeframe are so remote as to not be worth considering.

Even if by some freak of chance you were detained, since you have immediate relief available (through AoS based on marriage to your petitioner) then your chances of deportation would be essentially zero, assuming that there are no other issues.

In short, they don't sharpen the pitchforks and ready the thumb-screws for someone filing a few weeks late.

Agreed. I you to want to feel safe, just carry your passport with I-94 inside and a copy of your marriage liscense at all times. If you are ever questioned, just show these documents and explain you are in the process of AOS.

We waited a couple of months before AOS to collect all the documents, get the stupid I-693 immunization filled out and getting the funds together. Hardest part was finding a doctor who did not want to do a new medical.

Hi, I entered with a k1 visa on april 8, 2013. Got married the next day after. My I-94 will expire july 6, but I dont think I can file the aos before that due to financial constraints. What would be the consequences if I file aos after july 6? Im really worried. Please help.

There is no time limit to file for AOS. Once the I-94 expires you are in an out of status state and are accruing over-stay days. Once you hit 180 days you will not be allowed back into the country even with AP so filing for AP is worthless at that point. Once you pass a year after your original medical you will need to pay for a new medical from a Civil Surgeon. Should you wait until 2 years after the marriage, you should file the I-130 with the I-485 as a K-1 visa holder is not allowed a 10 year GC, but being married for more than 2 years allows your to qualify for a 10 year GC. So by filing the I-130 you eliminate that catch-22, but it does cost more. Also remember that you cannot travel outside of the US and return nor can you legally work until you have your AP/EAD and/or GC. So the sooner you file for AOS the sooner those arrive.

Now what should happen if you find yourself near one of the borders--ie southern or northern--and come upon a CBP check point and have to show your LPR status. They will take you in for questioning. They may even detain you depending on your documentation and their mood. At some point you may be hauled in front of an immigration judge who will tell you to file the AOS ASAP or may even issue a court order to file by a certain time. NOW you have a time limit to file and had better do so or you WILL be deported. Not a pleasant experience I am sure. So either file your AOS ASAP or do not travel by car near either border, but especially CA, AZ, NM, and TX.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

g

Im really worried about deportation. Yes I married my original petitioner. I just dont want to get deported for filing aos a couple weeks after the I-94 expires.

Hi,

We got married within the 90 days January 2013 ,we filed approx 1 month later March 2013 after I-94 expired..because the cost was so high for myself plus 2 K2 children...I had no problem so far...

I am sure you will be ok...

Phew, glad I came upon this thread...we are marrying on the same day my I-94 expires (but in Canada they didn't give me an actual slip with a date to return, but we knew it was 6 months, he only proposed last week, and my stay is up the 21st...lol) Of course after waiting for our marriage license and such we would only get our AOS in, around a month after my "visa" is up. I was so worried, but this was a last minute "proposal" (as I was getting some of my stuff packed to leave)...lol Guess we just couldn't live without one another. So happy :)

2008 Met on FB through mutual friends (platonic)
05/2012 Decided to "give it a try" after some mutual flirtations
07/2012 Met in person
08/06/2013 Proposed
21/06/2013 Married
10/09/2013 Sent I-130/I-485
19/09/2013 Cheques Cashed
23/09/2013 Hard copy NOA1
21/10/2013 Biometrics Appt Lawrence MA

21/10/2013 RFE for I-864 only, send tax transcripts and a bunch of other redundant info due to missing tax forms..ugh...

29/10/2013 Send in all required RFE Documents (hold up waiting for IRS transcripts)

31/10/2013 Online status changed to RFE response review

12/12/2013 Status changed to Testing and Interview and EAD sent out 10th, AP approved the 5th FINALLY!!!!!

14/12/2013 EAD/AP Combo received in mail smile.png

18/12/2013 Online Interview date of January 23/2014, instructions sent in mail.

23/01/2014 APPROVED...Green Card being sent in mail, no stamp in passport

29/01/2014 Received Welcome Letter

30/01/2014 Green Card Received babayyyyy!!

01/02/2014 Returned Green Card...Mistake on dates

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.