BaBamSam

K-1 Self Sponsorship

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I are ages away from the I-134 and interview stage, but he (well, mostly it's me) is trying to just make sure we have everything planned and ready to get started as soon as we are approaching the NOA2 stage in a few months. We are most concerned about the self-sponsorship route that appears to be available at the London embassy.

I'm a recent college grad and have been working freelance since July so my tax returns are student-job wages and my current income is low/mostly cash in hand at this point. My father has already offered to be a co-sponsor and his income is well above the necessary level, but my fiance is going to first self-sponsor since co-sponsors have been rejected before.

My fiance has a fairly substantial savings, co-owns a property in central London, and has a portfolio of non-liquid stocks/bonds, so he would be able to show ample support, but we are just curious to hear of others' experience with self-sponsoring.

Also, I was reading through embassy reviews and some reviews suggested that the I-134 is barely glanced at and financial means weren't even discussed. Anyone have experience on that?

Thanks in advance everyone, and I hope you're all enjoying your holidays!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

LouisePaul's fiancé (Paul) self-sponsored recently and was approved. You can check her post in the pinned K1: NOA2 to Interview thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/page__view__findpost__p__5846688

It may be worth sending her a PM to see if she can give you more insight, if needed.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I are ages away from the I-134 and interview stage, but he (well, mostly it's me) is trying to just make sure we have everything planned and ready to get started as soon as we are approaching the NOA2 stage in a few months. We are most concerned about the self-sponsorship route that appears to be available at the London embassy.

I'm a recent college grad and have been working freelance since July so my tax returns are student-job wages and my current income is low/mostly cash in hand at this point. My father has already offered to be a co-sponsor and his income is well above the necessary level, but my fiance is going to first self-sponsor since co-sponsors have been rejected before.

My fiance has a fairly substantial savings, co-owns a property in central London, and has a portfolio of non-liquid stocks/bonds, so he would be able to show ample support, but we are just curious to hear of others' experience with self-sponsoring.

Also, I was reading through embassy reviews and some reviews suggested that the I-134 is barely glanced at and financial means weren't even discussed. Anyone have experience on that?

Thanks in advance everyone, and I hope you're all enjoying your holidays!

Mmmmm........I don't know that it would be accurate to say the I134 is "barely glanced at". I don't think they'd grant a visa without one! :P Or at least without self-sponsorship.

The old rule at London was £2K in verifiable cash would get you through the interview. But that was ages ago and I've not read of anyone going through with that little in a long while. That doesn't mean they don't - it just means I've not seen it reported. The report LCL highlighted shows us £8500 - I think they'd let people through with less. And I think that way just because the rate of inflation isn't THAT bad.

Anywho, I think you've got every reason to be positive that self-sponsorship will work for your fiance. Have him carry your Dad's affidavit in his back pocket - just in case.

PS - I'm wondering about your contention that co-sponsors have been rejected before. Could you share that info with us please?

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Mmmmm........I don't know that it would be accurate to say the I134 is "barely glanced at". I don't think they'd grant a visa without one! :P Or at least without self-sponsorship.

The old rule at London was £2K in verifiable cash would get you through the interview. But that was ages ago and I've not read of anyone going through with that little in a long while. That doesn't mean they don't - it just means I've not seen it reported. The report LCL highlighted shows us £8500 - I think they'd let people through with less. And I think that way just because the rate of inflation isn't THAT bad.

Anywho, I think you've got every reason to be positive that self-sponsorship will work for your fiance. Have him carry your Dad's affidavit in his back pocket - just in case.

PS - I'm wondering about your contention that co-sponsors have been rejected before. Could you share that info with us please?

Yeah, I assumed it would have to be handed regardless of how thoroughly it was looked through. He's going to hand my dad's over after his self-sponsorship docs and then hand over mine if they ask (just in case).

He has more than those amounts, so it is a bit reassuring to see people get through with that range.

I wish I saved the thread, but about 2 weeks ago somebody posted in the general K-1 thread about being denied a co-sponsor in the London embassy, which makes me nervous. But I don' know if there was more to that story or not :/

LouisePaul's fiancé (Paul) self-sponsored recently and was approved. You can check her post in the pinned K1: NOA2 to Interview thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/page__view__findpost__p__5846688

It may be worth sending her a PM to see if she can give you more insight, if needed.

Thanks for passing that on!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

09/19/2013 - Interview

I wish I saved the thread, but about 2 weeks ago somebody posted in the general K-1 thread about being denied a co-sponsor in the London embassy, which makes me nervous. But I don' know if there was more to that story or not :/

More likely than not, there probably was more to the story.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Have your fiance hand in JUST his self-sponsorship documents. If they need your Dad's they will ask.

Never give them more than they need.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

Have your fiance hand in JUST his self-sponsorship documents. If they need your Dad's they will ask.

Never give them more than they need.

Great advice. Thanks!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I self sponsored, I can confirm the lack of interest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I self sponsored, I can confirm the lack of interest.

Oh really? Do you mind me asking what you self-sponsored with? Totally understand if you don't want to discuss it.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

Oh really? Do you mind me asking what you self-sponsored with? Totally understand if you don't want to discuss it.

I had summarised my assets, he took a quick glance and we went no further.

All the backup documentation I had gone to great trouble to get, including stopping at the Cash Machine to get a current printout of my balance was wasted.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I had summarised my assets, he took a quick glance and we went no further.

All the backup documentation I had gone to great trouble to get, including stopping at the Cash Machine to get a current printout of my balance was wasted.

Oh wow. Nice to know! Thanks for the info :)

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

This link to the embassy might interest you about sponsorship http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

I've talked bout the I-134 several times in the pinned thread so not going to repeat here since there's lots of info if you take the time to read the whole thread. I've known hundreds who have had another sponsor besides their petitioner but can't recall any who were rejected in London if the sponsor properly documented enough income.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

This link to the embassy might interest you about sponsorship http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

I've talked bout the I-134 several times in the pinned thread so not going to repeat here since there's lots of info if you take the time to read the whole thread. I've known hundreds who have had another sponsor besides their petitioner but can't recall any who were rejected in London if the sponsor properly documented enough income.

That's the webpage I've been using as a main resource, but just wanted to talk to some people about their personal experiences just for a perspective insight. But thank you for posting it!

It's reassuring to hear that you haven't heard of any rejections with proper filing. I'm assuming the recent case I was referring to had more of a story behind it then the poster let on.

Thanks for your reply!

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

I remember one, it was like pulling teeth trying to get to the bottom of what actually happened.

Not sure if the questions were ever answered, I think I lost interest.

That's the webpage I've been using as a main resource, but just wanted to talk to some people about their personal experiences just for a perspective insight. But thank you for posting it!

It's reassuring to hear that you haven't heard of any rejections with proper filing. I'm assuming the recent case I was referring to had more of a story behind it then the poster let on.

Thanks for your reply!

It's rare to self-sponsor so you're not likely to find much response from actual persons that did it. I remember two who posted in almost 5 years, besides the recent one. And now I know Boiler did, so four.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.