AmyWrites

Horrible interview, how to fix it?!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

So the CO basically didn't buy why I'd been living with my SO since I got to Russia... we met online, and back when I got to Russia, I was going to stay in the dorms here, but absolutely panicked about it (long story) once I got here, and from then one we've been living together. And how come my current SO and I got married so soon? Did my SO join any other dating sites (he thought the site we met on, which is actually for people to meet foreigners to learn said language, was a dating site for some reason).

He also drilled me about my past I-129F... I thought I was in love then also, no? Things like that. I told him... um, you know, the guy cheated on me, and lied to me extensively. He asked me then why did I file. I told him the guy was emotionally abusive and I was dependent on him. He said, well, you sound dependent on your current SO, and I said no, at first I was thanks to the language barrier, but these days I do my own stuff in Russia and I only depend on him as any normal wife depends on her husband.

The worse is that now he wants to see my SO's bank account statements. He has four accounts, and I'm added to two of them, the ones where his salary goes into and uses the most. One of them was for saving euros, but now contains 7 euros, so we didn't think it was worth it adding me to those, and the last one, it's only there to gather interest, he doesn't (and can't) withdraw money from it, so why add me to that. Thing is I thought that he didn't have much money in that last account, and I said so to the CO, while my SO told the CO that he did have a few thousand there, so now the CO believes we're a fraud marriage or something? I don't know. My SO and I share money, if I need money, he gives it to me, and vice versa. He doesn't keep tabs on my account and I don't do the same for his. I knew his last one was about saving money, and I know (and told the CO) the total amount of money he has saved in all accounts, but I don't keep track of each of them.

So now the CO wants to see the SO's bank statements. I believe this means we're going to be denied. How can I fix this? I was thinking he could cancel that last interest/savings account and put that money in the two accounts I'm in, or he can add me to the interest/savings account (useless since we can't almost anything with it). Is it better to just withdraw the entire petition, make these banking changes, and then re-apply? It will kill us both to get denied.

Edited by AmyWrites

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Personally, I would not withdraw it at this point and provide the information requested along with a well thought out explanation. Of course, not contradicting any information that has already been provded to them at the embassy. If they are going to deny you, then that's just what it is. Withdrawing and refiling only causes more of a possible mess....

Timeline

Personally, I would not withdraw it at this point and provide the information requested along with a well thought out explanation. Of course, not contradicting any information that has already been provded to them at the embassy. If they are going to deny you, then that's just what it is. Withdrawing and refiling only causes more of a possible mess....

Yeah, I figured withdrawing and refilling would be stirring the pot of #######, like we say where I'm from.

So, close the account and add the money to the account I'm in or just add me to the account? I've no idea what's better.

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, I figured withdrawing and refilling would be stirring the pot of #######, like we say where I'm from.So, close the account and add the money to the account I'm in or just add me to the account? I've no idea what's better.

I probably wouldn't all of a sudden add you or add money to the account you're in. If it shows up in the bank statement that you made these changes all of a sudden after the interview, it'll look suspicious IMO. I would probably go with rodceasar's advice.

Edited by jaejayC

Timeline

But we're screwed either way given I didn't know he had some thousand on this account, so I told the CO he had almost nothing in his other accounts. That's why I'm worrying a lot, because there was a discrepancy and the CO in general didn't seem to believe we actually had a relationship.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My gut instinct is just have your man add you to the

other accounts. If the last one is like one of those

accounts that you deposit a fixed amount of money in

to accrue larger amounts of interest in like 5-10

years then you wouldn't want to close it or cancel it

or the bank might incur hefty monetary penalties for

doing so. These are good accounts to have in planning

for your retirement later in life =)

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Timeline

Yeah, we're thinking of writing them a letter that it's useless to add me since I (or him for that matter) can't withdraw money without either paying huge penalties or closing the entire account. My SO simply thought all accounts meant the same thing and didn't explain that he only added me to the ones I could withdraw/deposit money from with ease.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah, I figured withdrawing and refilling would be stirring the pot of #######, like we say where I'm from.

So, close the account and add the money to the account I'm in or just add me to the account? I've no idea what's better.

AMY, moving money around after an interview is NOT going to look favorably on you. Simply explain you did not know the amount in hs bank account. Alla has a ban account of her own here and one in Ukraine, I have no idea what amount of money is in it. So what? I do not see the financial thingas your main problem and it is often the tactic to get you to focus on something other than what they are concerned about. They are trained to be tricky, Amy...they lead you one way and they are going another. Rope-a-dope

Then again the concern can be that if your husband has a large amont of money he is not telling you about, then HIS intent may not be on the up-and-up

You just need to be straight up and honest. You made a mistake before. So what? You may be maing a mistake now? So what? No one cares if your marriage LASTS for a lifetime, what matters is that it is genuine and not for "immigration benefits"

Worst case? They deny the DCF and you file an I-130 and try again.

Yeah, we're thinking of writing them a letter that it's useless to add me since I (or him for that matter) can't withdraw money without either paying huge penalties or closing the entire account. My SO simply thought all accounts meant the same thing and didn't explain that he only added me to the ones I could withdraw/deposit money from with ease.

:thumbs:

there you go.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Nah, I knew about the money, just didn't know exactly which money was in which account.

And thanks folks, I'm feeling much calmer about it now. We'll gather up all documents needed and more in case they ask for them and hey if they deny it we'll re-apply.

How did you file and get an interview in a week? On April 25th you hadn't even applied yet.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

How did you file and get an interview in a week? On April 25th you hadn't even applied yet.

In Moscow you have to have an interview at the same time you submit an I-130 IF you've been married for less than two years.

I'll be the first person in Russia to get an RFE for the DCF I think. Just my luck.

Timeline

Well, I submitted the documents today with a short cover letter explaining each of his accounts, and it's simple enough that they'd see why it's dumb to add me to accounts not even he can withdraw money from. I didn't wait to get an RFE in the mail as my mail here is quite unreliable. I'll update about when I get approved/denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.