LAKY

Immunizations

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, my fiance does not have his immunization records (he lost them and he does not remember where he got the shots from). Should he wait and get all the vaccines at the embassy medical examination or should he get them with a particular doctor where he lives now? He lives in Colombia.

Thanks for your help

My wife also does not have a record of her immunizations. We decided to print out the Vaccination Requirements from the Department of State page http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html and she took this list to her personal doctor. Her doctor advised which immunizations applied to her based on her medical history, age, etc.

She was told the following immunizations were mainly for children:

-Influenza type b (Hib)

-Polio

-Rotavirus

-Varicella (already got it)

Did anybody else have a beneficiary who had to receive all these vaccinations due to no proof or loss of proof?

Does everybody agree with the match-up I did for the immunizations listed below? (I did extensive research online)

It seems these are the ones that will definitely be needed:

-Hepatitus A/Hepatitus B = Twinrix (series of 3 in a 6 month period)

-Influenza = Flu (recommended yearly)

-Measles/Mumps/Rubella = MMR (series of 2, 30 days apart)

-Meningococcal = Menactra

-Penumococcal = Pneumonia (recommended every 5 years)

-Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids/Pertussis = TDAP (Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis)

As we understand it, all these immunizations have to be taken along with the lab work before the immigration medical appointment.

My wife is currently getting these done in a timely manner as we wait for the I-130 NOA2.

Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

I believe some shots should be staggered as you do not want too many at once.

also, try the local equivalent of the colombian red cross as their prices seem more reasonable than private clinics.

the private clinic in bogota used by applicants with visa requests to come here is more expensive and the doctor there will try to convince you that he needs to give you more shots at a inflated price.

I understand that he has a higher overhead with a private clinic, but shots can had for a lower price at places like the colombian red cross clinics.

make sure to keep duplicates of records or even ask for duplicate originals.

that's my two pesos.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The vaccines needed to get an immigrant visa to the US are TD, MMR, and varicella. People can get them at the doctor's office during the medical exam if they want to, some people have said it's more expensive while others have said it's just about the same as getting them somewhere else. They can also get them at the Red Cross as someone else suggested or through thei EPS if they're covered.

If they do choose to get them before their medical make sure they don't do it more than 4 weeks before their appointment since these doctors are famous for rejecting vaccine records claiming those new vaccines are too old to qualify.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I also had some questions about Vaccination, but I was more interested in finding out what the CDC in the U.S. required when she gets here from Colombia. I EM the CDC and they EM me back the next day with all the Vaccination requirements coming to the U.S. from Colombia. She will get these shots at the Red Cross in Cali Colombia. I also ask her to have the DS-3025 filled out by the Red Cross Doctor. This way we will have the DS-3025 for AOS. The vaccination in Colombia is half the price than it is in the U.S. I would not recommend getting any Vaccination from any of the panel Doctors in Colombia, they will charge more than in the U.S.

Timeline

I also had some questions about Vaccination, but I was more interested in finding out what the CDC in the U.S. required when she gets here from Colombia. I EM the CDC and they EM me back the next day with all the Vaccination requirements coming to the U.S. from Colombia. She will get these shots at the Red Cross in Cali Colombia. I also ask her to have the DS-3025 filled out by the Red Cross Doctor. This way we will have the DS-3025 for AOS. The vaccination in Colombia is half the price than it is in the U.S. I would not recommend getting any Vaccination from any of the panel Doctors in Colombia, they will charge more than in the U.S.

The only person authorized to fill out and sign the vaccination worksheet (DS-3025) is one of the doctors approved by the embassy in Colombia, no one else. If she gets her vaccines at the Red Cross, she needs to take that paperwork to the medical exam and then the doctor will sign the worksheet.

After she arrives in the US she can either send a copy of the DS-3025 for her AOS to see if it's accepted by the USCIS. If not, then she will need to get an approved civil surgeon to fill out form I-693 based on worksheet DS-3025 for her AOS. Sometimes the USCIS will approve an AOS based on the copy of the DS-3025 but sometimes they do send out an RFE requesting form I-693 in order to get approval.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The vaccines needed to get an immigrant visa to the US are TD, MMR, and varicella. People can get them at the doctor's office during the medical exam if they want to, some people have said it's more expensive while others have said it's just about the same as getting them somewhere else. They can also get them at the Red Cross as someone else suggested or through thei EPS if they're covered.

If they do choose to get them before their medical make sure they don't do it more than 4 weeks before their appointment since these doctors are famous for rejecting vaccine records claiming those new vaccines are too old to qualify.

Diana

my wife had her medical exam and she got the vaccinations from the panel physician on 1/4/2011. We had to wait for an I-601 to be approved, and she has a new appointment at the consulate May 14, so obviously she will need a new medical exam and lab work. Are they known for rejecting their own records from over a year ago, and requiring new vaccinations?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Diana

For K1 they do not need to be complete. They would determine what you need and get you started. Going to a local doctor first would be a good head start for the medical review. You must then continue vaccine process in USA, before AOS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

For K1 they do not need to be complete. They would determine what you need and get you started. Going to a local doctor first would be a good head start for the medical review. You must then continue vaccine process in USA, before AOS.

not in Colombia. Doctor said they are only good for six months, and have to be renewed. They determine you need as many as they can sell you. You're lucky that the panel doctors in Ukraine are honest

Edited by Julie y Pat

Timeline

Thanks Diana, do you think they will accept a DS-3025 filled out by the colombien panel doc.

They only accept the worksheet (DS-3025) that is filled out from the doctors listed on the instructions package, no one else. But the vaccines can be done anywhere else.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

my wife had her medical exam and she got the vaccinations from the panel physician on 1/4/2011. We had to wait for an I-601 to be approved, and she has a new appointment at the consulate May 14, so obviously she will need a new medical exam and lab work. Are they known for rejecting their own records from over a year ago, and requiring new vaccinations?

Well, the obvious thing would be for the doctor to just do the medical exam since the other one was done over a year ago and not tell her she needs new vaccines, but the doctors in Colombia are famously known for saying that vaccines that were given less than a month before the medical are too old. We all know is a tactic they use to get more money out of the beneficiary but people have complained about it with them and the embassy and they still do it.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Your body has a record of your immunizations ;-) There is something called an antibody titer test that is available for all of the required vaccinations.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.