beejay

Stand alone I-130 for stepchild(ren)

1,280 posts in this topic

I've noticed there have been quite a few people over the last few months who have filed stand alone I-130s for their stepchildren. There is some information about the I-130 process but not specifically for children. I thought we could gather here and share information and experiences as we go through them.

My husband and I filed in early March at CSC. We got the NOA-1s shortly after that and are now patiently waiting...

Anybody else?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hi

I applied Jan 30, 2012 at CSC. I am not so patiently waiting for my NOA2. :angry: Just kidding. I am trying very hard to be patient and not check the website three or four times a day. Our little one will be 3 pretty soon and we want her here with us. I'm sure you understand. Good luck with your application.

Thanks and same to you :)

At least it looks like CSC has picked up so I'm hoping for closer to 5 months rather than 7+ months. I've been patient for most of the other processes but this one really feels like precious time is ticking away everyday.

We're also waiting for my husband's oath ceremony which hopefully will come soon then we won't have to deal with AOS stuff when it gets to NVC.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

hello!! im quana.. my hubby and i jus filed his LOC and i also filed for my stepsons at the end of feb.. talk about gluttons for punshiment right :blush: so we are waiting as well.. i really hope we could be done with all this by september so they can start school and not be too far behind..im so anticipating this new chapter of our lives, the boys and their new life here.. my girls getting used to the idea of brothers.. :wacko::rofl: sooo exciting and scary at the same time..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We filed the I-130 for my son, USC (stepson) in September. We have so far:

Had petition approved at USCIS

Moved to NVC

Paid $88 on March 27th for AOS

Paid $404 on April 4th for IV

Completed the DS-260 online last week.

I guess now we wait for the next step which is either more information required, or an interview date? Set up appt. for medical for my son?

Am I correct on this? What am I missing.

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

hello!! im quana.. my hubby and i jus filed his LOC and i also filed for my stepsons at the end of feb.. talk about gluttons for punshiment right :blush: so we are waiting as well.. i really hope we could be done with all this by september so they can start school and not be too far behind..im so anticipating this new chapter of our lives, the boys and their new life here.. my girls getting used to the idea of brothers.. :wacko::rofl: sooo exciting and scary at the same time..

Hi Quana!

Exciting and scary is right :) Excited for my husband and I - worried how the kids will adjust. I was really focused on trying to get the kids here by Sept. for school but I just don't think that's going to happen. I'm pretty sure we're going to have a DNA test (though we're not there yet) as my husband isn't listed on the BC so our new goal is by the end of the year.

We filed the I-130 for my son, USC (stepson) in September. We have so far:

Had petition approved at USCIS

Moved to NVC

Paid $88 on March 27th for AOS

Paid $404 on April 4th for IV

Completed the DS-260 online last week.

I guess now we wait for the next step which is either more information required, or an interview date? Set up appt. for medical for my son?

Am I correct on this? What am I missing.

Congrats on the NVC approval!

I think you are right that the ball is now in their court. It looks like for Canada-Montreal you are just waiting until they schedule the interview. According to the links below you should receive an email letting you know when the interview date is. Once you have that you can schedule the medical for your son. I think this part of the process should be pretty similar to your own. Is your son over 16? Does he have his police clearance?

VJ Montreal Embassy page

NVC process Montreal embassy VJ page

Since you are now through the NVC stage, did you put yourself as the choice of agent? Was there anything vastly/slightly different from your own I-130 process?

Hi :) My stepfather filed for me March 14, recieved NOA 1 on March 20. Just waiting patiently :)

Im 19 years old right now.

Welcome!

Do you know if you are at CSC or VSC?

Do you have plans for once you are in the US?

Filed: IR-2 Country: El Salvador
Timeline
Welcome!

Do you know if you are at CSC or VSC?

Do you have plans for once you are in the US?

Hi, yes im in Vermont service Center :) And yeah, a lot! Im just finishing my computer engineering career here in El Salvador, but i dont know yet if im going to study a little bit more once i get there or if im going to apply for a job! :) i know im young lol

Timeline

My son is 17. He just received his police clearance and passport pics. I haven't submitted these as they weren't asked for specifically yet. I had to do the DS-260 online where as when I went through this, it was the paper DS-230 and I submitted all of my info electronically.

Not sure if they will ask this now, or I just have to bring it to the interview..whenever that is.

My husband (USC) is the agent of choice.

Apr 17, 2010 - Married

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

My son is 17. He just received his police clearance and passport pics. I haven't submitted these as they weren't asked for specifically yet. I had to do the DS-260 online where as when I went through this, it was the paper DS-230 and I submitted all of my info electronically.

Not sure if they will ask this now, or I just have to bring it to the interview..whenever that is.

My husband (USC) is the agent of choice.

Bare with me as I am not familiar with the electronic processing in Canada but it does sound like you might be missing some steps.

Have you submitted anything to NVC other than the AOS and IV payments and the DS-260?

Did you print the AOS document cover sheet and email your supporting docs for AOS to NVC after you paid the fee?

Did you print out the document cover sheet for the IV packet and also email those documents to NVC?

If you don't have the cover sheets I think they are available in the payment portal sections for the IV and AOS.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello BeeJay and All!

I am a late April I-130 filer for my stepsons. I would love to join your group so I can have people who relate. I want to share a quick background with you as I am sure our case is a bit different than most people's.

I filed for my husband in September. He is in removal proceedings, so although he has been in the states for 6 years we could not process his AOS concurrently. We first have to have an I-130 interview. If we get approved then we go to immigration court to ask the judge to drop the removal proceedings. If he drops it then we beg him to approve our AOS on the spot. If he does, then my husband will receive his visa almost immediately. At this point it has been over 7 months since we applied. At 6 months our petition got sent from California to our local USCIS office (Chicago) (this is the point where most people get their I-130's approved). I hadn't heard anything for a month, so I called and asked for a service request. I recieved a letter in the mail stating that we were still in review and if we haven't heard anything in SIX MONTHS (yes - I said MONTHS!!!) that we can call them. (o...m...g...). So unfortunately, my husband's case is at a stand still for now. Fortunately, I get to see, touch, enjoy my husband everyday, do while the wait will be FOREVER, at least we will wait together!

Ok, now the kids. Because my husband was in removal proceedings, my lawyer (he's an #### by the way) didn't really want to deal with the kids right now and would only focus on my husband. Many people on this website also told me that we had to wait until my husband got approved before they would approve the kids. I finally called USCIS (twice, just to make sure I would get the same answer) and they said that it is absolutely possible that the kids can get approved before my husband does. That we did not need to wait for him to be approved. So although I lost 2 months I quickly sent out the boys' applications the day I made that second call to USCIS.

So that is where we stand...husband is going to take forever, and I'm waiting with a hope and a prayer that everything goes smoothly with the boys petition. Not sure when my husbands case will be finalized, but I'm hoping to get the boys' I-130s approved by October and to have them here early next year. (I would be shooting for December of this year, but of course NOTHING can be easy in our case and I'm sure they will make us do DNA tests which will and a few months)

Good luck to everyone and I pray we all have easy journeys and get our babies here quickly and safely!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Timeline

Bare with me as I am not familiar with the electronic processing in Canada but it does sound like you might be missing some steps.

Have you submitted anything to NVC other than the AOS and IV payments and the DS-260?

Sure I submitted electronically the I-864EZ and the DS-260.

Did you print the AOS document cover sheet and email your supporting docs for AOS to NVC after you paid the fee?

YES

Did you print out the document cover sheet for the IV packet and also email those documents to NVC?

No, they required me to do the DS-260 instead.

Apr 17, 2010 - Married

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

thanks BEEJAY for directing me to this forum

ok so now i got receipt letter and priority date for my daughters i-130 filed by my hubby ( usc ) the plan is to sit and wait yeh, how long???

scary, confusing, excited, complicated ummm dunno which i feel right now

although my hubby is the filer is it ok to my email address since ill be the one doing most of it, and hubby does the signing and paying lol,, no he's really excited at having his own little angel to care for,, although she is nearly 21 haha

please everyone keep us all upto date on your progress as i will too, it really helps when someone has the next step so we can be somewhat prepared

good luck and best wishes to each and every one of you

debbie

<snip>

Good luck to everyone and I pray we all have easy journeys and get our babies here quickly and safely!

That is a lot to be dealing with Kazulie. If you haven't yet you should also check out immigrate2us.net Almost all of their members are going thru or have been thru the waiver process.

I'm glad you ended up filling for the kids. I think we'll be asked for a DNA test too so it will be nice to have someone else going through that - although I do hope we get lucky and it isn't required for either of us :)

No, they required me to do the DS-260 instead.

After reading some of the Canada stuff I'm just worried that they want you to submit the photos and clearance via email. If you're concerned I would check in the Canada forum or ask Saylin who knows Canada and NVC pretty well. If you're not worried then just ignore my analness :)

good luck and best wishes to each and every one of you

debbie

Glad you joined the thread DebAndPhil! I believe you can select yourself as choice of agent when that time comes. I think tri_gear said her husband was the choice of agent but I am pretty sure it does not have to be the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.