Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Lobox,

Yes, if you're able to attend you can go with her and just show your US passport so they can let you right in. In fact, it's best if you go should the CO have any questions regarding your application.

Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread which is filled with all kinds of info regarding the process in Bogotá, Colombia.

Diana

Diana,

Interesting that you mention that the USC show his/her passport... I found it interesting that they did not ask for my passport or any form of ID prior to entering or even afterwards.... of course in the events of any security breach technically you are always outside of the building....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana,

Interesting that you mention that the USC show his/her passport... I found it interesting that they did not ask for my passport or any form of ID prior to entering or even afterwards.... of course in the events of any security breach technically you are always outside of the building....

Really? They asked to see my passport when I showed up with my husband, then they asked me if I was the petitioner and then they put a green sticker on my chest, the same one they gave him. :unsure:

Oh well, it's best to go prepared just in case.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another productive week in our K-1 visa journey process, thanks in part to this forum and you all! Got registered online, printed out the deposit slip, sent my fiance to pay the fee in person at Helm bank in Medellin, then very quickly and effortlessly checked the website calendar and scheduled the interview for June 7, 2012 at 7 AM.

1. This next week need to schedule her exam in Bogota. Being that the interview date is on a Thursday June 7th I am thinking of scheduling the exam for Tuesday June the 5th. Any comments or suggestions?

2. Does my fiance need to complete any form electronically and submit to the Bogota US Embassy?

3. Need to find a apartment or hotel room for the week starting June 4, 2012. Any suggestions of where others have stayed?

4. A few other items I have on the radar - police clearance report, medical/vaccination records, other specific documents that she needs to complete for the interview itself.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Really? They asked to see my passport when I showed up with my husband, then they asked me if I was the petitioner and then they put a green sticker on my chest, the same one they gave him. :unsure:

Oh well, it's best to go prepared just in case.

Diana

Yes, most definitely --over prepared is best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another productive week in our K-1 visa journey process, thanks in part to this forum and you all! Got registered online, printed out the deposit slip, sent my fiance to pay the fee in person at Helm bank in Medellin, then very quickly and effortlessly checked the website calendar and scheduled the interview for June 7, 2012 at 7 AM.

1. This next week need to schedule her exam in Bogota. Being that the interview date is on a Thursday June 7th I am thinking of scheduling the exam for Tuesday June the 5th. Any comments or suggestions?

2. Does my fiance need to complete any form electronically and submit to the Bogota US Embassy?

3. Need to find a apartment or hotel room for the week starting June 4, 2012. Any suggestions of where others have stayed?

4. A few other items I have on the radar - police clearance report, medical/vaccination records, other specific documents that she needs to complete for the interview itself.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hi D N Medellin, you can schedule the medical work and interview on the same week...Clau had her medical on a Wednesday with the interview on a Thursday and all was fine, but, no guarantee the doctor will have open appointments that same week, so I would have your fiancee get on the phone with them first thing on Monday to check, otherwise, you will be forced to reschedule your interview if you want to do both the same week. No forms to submit electronically to the embassy...just have the 156 and 156k with the bar codes ready. Also, you probably should have the DS230 complete as some other posters said they were asking for it even though it does not say you need it in any of the documentation provided by the embassy, so might as well be prepared in case they ask. You can have vaccinations done in her home city, but just get it done no more than a week prior to the medical exam, and bring the shot record book with you to the medical exam. For birth certificate, get an English version done and bring it with you. We did not submit the English version, only the Spanish Verison with her baptismal certificate and they never asked for English translation, but at some point, you will need an English translation when you get to the US.

Can't think of anything else, post another note if you think of anything else.

Jon & Clau

Timeline

We stayed at www.welovebogota.com which was recommended by other VJ members. It's a three bedroom apartment with all the amenities, 10 minute walk from the embassy and in a nice, save neighborhood. You can rent each room separately or the entire apartment if you wish. I highly recommend it.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

We stayed at www.welovebogota.com which was recommended by other VJ members. It's a three bedroom apartment with all the amenities, 10 minute walk from the embassy and in a nice, save neighborhood. You can rent each room separately or the entire apartment if you wish. I highly recommend it.

Diana

Hi Diana. A quick question: I went to the website above and took a look at it but didn't see a way of booking anything. How do you book? DO you have to call to Bogota to book a room/apartment? or how did you guys do it?

Thanks!

Citizenship

6/24/2016: Mailed N-400 package via USPS from Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan

7/11/2016: Received NOA1 dated 7/5/2016

11/3/2016: Received email from USCIS-Seoul Office with Naturalization appt set for 11/30/2016

11/30/2016: Naturalization Interview on Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan. N-400 Approved

12/1/2016: Naturalization Ceremony

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi D N Medellin, you can schedule the medical work and interview on the same week...Clau had her medical on a Wednesday with the interview on a Thursday and all was fine, but, no guarantee the doctor will have open appointments that same week, so I would have your fiancee get on the phone with them first thing on Monday to check, otherwise, you will be forced to reschedule your interview if you want to do both the same week. No forms to submit electronically to the embassy...just have the 156 and 156k with the bar codes ready. Also, you probably should have the DS230 complete as some other posters said they were asking for it even though it does not say you need it in any of the documentation provided by the embassy, so might as well be prepared in case they ask. You can have vaccinations done in her home city, but just get it done no more than a week prior to the medical exam, and bring the shot record book with you to the medical exam. For birth certificate, get an English version done and bring it with you. We did not submit the English version, only the Spanish Verison with her baptismal certificate and they never asked for English translation, but at some point, you will need an English translation when you get to the US.

Can't think of anything else, post another note if you think of anything else.

Jon & Clau

Thank you Jon for the suggestions! WE will be scheduling the doctors appointment on Monday.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Timeline

Hi Diana. A quick question: I went to the website above and took a look at it but didn't see a way of booking anything. How do you book? DO you have to call to Bogota to book a room/apartment? or how did you guys do it?

Thanks!

In the Main Menu you will see two links that say "Contact Martha" and "Contact Alberto", when you click on them you will see their phone numbers and email info. Martha is the owner and is married to an American, you can email her and they'll get back to you, I believe they live in Medellín. Alberto is Martha's brother who will meet you at the front lobby of the apartment complex, give you the keys and walk you through the apartment.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Hey all-

I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, so apologies for the redundancy. I'm going to Colombia to be at my fiancee's interview, and am trying to determine what documents to bring. I've read very inconsistent data so thought I'd try a new topic here. For example, some people say you need the I-864, while others say I-134. Seems like I-134 is correct, but can you imagine how much it would stink to get there and realize I didn't have the correct doc...? Also: Bank statements, letters of employment, criminal background check, etc...what is needed, what isn't. For both her as well as for me.

Your help is appreciated!

ek50,

You can find all of this info in the K Visas Instructions Package located in the US Embassy in Bogotá web site. The List of Documents starts on page 2.

You can also use this thread for any other questions you may have regarding the US Embassy in Colombia.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hola a todos!

Jus a moment, to chime in here and say that my lady arrived in eeuu, safe and sound, last Saturday, in Houston Intercontinental Airport. :dance:

Her plane was scheduled to land at 1 p.m.

I was figuring ... I should be there to meet her no later than 2, but arrived about 1:40.

The Easter Weekend proved to be a good time to travel for this purpose, as she was FINISHED WITH IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS, and seated, waiting patiently for me ABOUT where we had planned, using a map of the terminal for planning a meeting place.

SHE WAS FINISHED AND WAITING BY 1:30! :dance:

Now... for more processing, eh?

Edited by GringoD

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Timeline

Hola a todos!

Jus a moment, to chime in here and say that my lady arrived in eeuu, safe and sound, last Saturday, in Houston Intercontinental Airport. :dance:

Her plane was scheduled to land at 1 p.m.

I was figuring ... I should be there to meet her no later than 2, but arrived about 1:40.

The Easter Weekend proved to be a good time to travel for this purpose, as she was FINISHED WITH IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS, and seated, waiting patiently for me ABOUT where we had planned, using a map of the terminal for planning a meeting place.

SHE WAS FINISHED AND WAITING BY 1:30! :dance:

Now... for more processing, eh?

Congratulations!!

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Probably a bad question...but i've been leafing through the forums and didn't see an answer.

Will my fiancee's interview in Bogota be conducted in Spanish (or at least hopefully by a bilingual interviewer)?

My spanish is pretty good and that's always been our primary communication together. She's been taking english classes for over a year now but I would worry about her being questioned and having to respond solely in English.

Also, at this point just 1 day after receiving NOA2, is there anything I should have my fiancee doing before her packet arrives from the embassy?

I'm assuming it's okay to tell her to start gathering her items...birth certificate, 6 more passport size photos, etc.

Probably a bad question...but i've been leafing through the forums and didn't see an answer.

Will my fiancee's interview in Bogota be conducted in Spanish (or at least hopefully by a bilingual interviewer)?

My spanish is pretty good and that's always been our primary communication together. She's been taking english classes for over a year now but I would worry about her being questioned and having to respond solely in English.

Also, at this point just 1 day after receiving NOA2, is there anything I should have my fiancee doing before her packet arrives from the embassy?

I'm assuming it's okay to tell her to start gathering her items...birth certificate, 6 more passport size photos, etc.

Yes the interview will be conducted in Spanish. While all of the consuls and/or interviewers are bilingual there are varying degrees of fluency. Sometimes it is difficult to understand the name of the person that is being called to the window. Have you scheduled your interview on the website? You can go ahead and do this if you do not foresee any security or other red flags at NVC. It's never to early to have all the info put together. You can go to the embassy website and get the packet 3/4 and have al;l the forms ready to go.

Timeline

Ryan,

You should never wait for the embassy to send anything because it may never arrive. You need to call the NVC about a week after your NOA2 to get your BGT case number. Ask them when they plan on sending it to the US Embassy in Bogotá and wait about 2-3 days for it to arrive. Meanwhile you can get the Instructions Package from their web site.

In a different post you asked about the police certificate. Since the DAS does not exist anymore the National Police Department now issues this certificate. You can find more info in their web site, Antecedentes Judiciales.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.