Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A couple of additional questions. After I prepare all of the documents/evidence and send it to my fiancee, exactly how do I proceed? Do I then log onto the US Embassy Bogota consulate website to pay the fee and schedule the interview date? Then immediately instruct my fiancee to call and schedule the 2 doctors appointments for about 1 week before the interview? Also, Friday I received (via email) our Bogota Case number. Does this mean that we are now entered into the system in Bogota, and everything is ready for us to schedule the interview as soon as we are ready? She has not yet received the packet from Bogota (and I do realize she may not receive it because of the mail in Bogota), and they have not sent me any packet/document info. I'm just looking at packet/document instructions from the PDF documents other VJ members have showed me.

I'm also trying to make sure I'm aware of all the specific things that will need to be paid for. I see when i schedule the interview there will be a $240.00 fee I pay online right then. Then my fiancee will need approximately $300.00 to cover both the medical appointments (will this also cover if she needs any additional vaccinations?). Then we will have another fee at the end of the visa process, correct? Will she need to pay this at the interview or shortly after, and approximately what is the cost?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just getting excited and a little nervous double-checking everything as we close in on the final stages before her entry to the US. Thank you

Since you now have your BGT case number, call the NVC to find out when they mailed it to the US Embassy in Bogotá or when they plan to mail it. Wait about 3 days for it to arrive and then email the embassy asking them if they received your case from the NVC. If they do have it, they will then reply to your email with the instructions package they have on their website. Then it's all up to you from there, you go to that link they give you to register for your visa interview, pay the visa fee ($240) online if you want to and choose your DHL delivery site.

Besides that fee, the only extra charges you will have are for the lab and medical stuff. Your fiancée can get her vaccines at the local Red Cross if you think they'll be less expensive. The only vaccines needed for a US immigrant visa are varicella (if she never had it as a child), MMR and TD, nothing more. So she can call the doctor's office to find out how much they charge for those three vaccines and compare prices with the RC or her EPS (healthcare system in Colombia).

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

CR1 visa petitioners don't have to bring all that stuff to the embassy since they sent all of the civil documents to the NVC for review before the interview was scheduled. I do recommend you bring copies of the stuff you sent to the NVC just in case they tell you they're missing a document but they're pretty good about sending the wholes case to the embassy intact.

As for immigration records, you're getting them confused with the Migratory Movement Letter or Carta Migratoria. Immigration records are only needed if the beneficiary was ever denied entry to the US at POE or if the person was ever deported. If that doesn't apply to you, then you don't need them. The Migratory Movement Letter shows all entries and exits from Colombia, the embassy used to ask for this document before but as of a few months ago they no longer need it.

Besides taking copies of the documents you sent the NVC to the interview, I recommend bringing as much evidence of your relationship as possible, things such as pictures with the two of you, with your families, plane tiquets, emaisl, chats, etc. They all help.

Diana

Thanks!

Timeline

Since you now have your BGT case number, call the NVC to find out when they mailed it to the US Embassy in Bogotá or when they plan to mail it. Wait about 3 days for it to arrive and then email the embassy asking them if they received your case from the NVC. If they do have it, they will then reply to your email with the instructions package they have on their website. Then it's all up to you from there, you go to that link they give you to register for your visa interview, pay the visa fee ($240) online if you want to and choose your DHL delivery site.

Besides that fee, the only extra charges you will have are for the lab and medical stuff. Your fiancée can get her vaccines at the local Red Cross if you think they'll be less expensive. The only vaccines needed for a US immigrant visa are varicella (if she never had it as a child), MMR and TD, nothing more. So she can call the doctor's office to find out how much they charge for those three vaccines and compare prices with the RC or her EPS (healthcare system in Colombia).

Diana

Thanks! Actually the email NVC sent me with the new case number said that they sent the package to Bogota on April 26th. So I guess I am in the clear to email the the US Embassy in Bogota to verify that they have received it. I assume I just use the standard email address listed on the US Embassy (Bogota) website.

As far as "choosing the DHL delivery site"....do most people just have it delivered to the closest DHL office and then pick it up? I was thinking of doing that, or just having it sent to her office. She works at a pretty big and well-known company in Bogota so i would guess the package would arrive with no problem.

The medical vaccinations...i just spoke with my fiancee and she thinks she can acquire proof of the vaccines she has received. Since she was born and raised in Bogota, I'm assuming she's had the vaccinations that most everyone else gets. I know she has that scar on her arm from one of the vaccinations...can't recall which vaccine that is. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal...I just want to be sure and send her enough money to cover any of the costs she might have. Thanks again!

Timeline

Thanks! Actually the email NVC sent me with the new case number said that they sent the package to Bogota on April 26th. So I guess I am in the clear to email the the US Embassy in Bogota to verify that they have received it. I assume I just use the standard email address listed on the US Embassy (Bogota) website.

As far as "choosing the DHL delivery site"....do most people just have it delivered to the closest DHL office and then pick it up? I was thinking of doing that, or just having it sent to her office. She works at a pretty big and well-known company in Bogota so i would guess the package would arrive with no problem.

The medical vaccinations...i just spoke with my fiancee and she thinks she can acquire proof of the vaccines she has received. Since she was born and raised in Bogota, I'm assuming she's had the vaccinations that most everyone else gets. I know she has that scar on her arm from one of the vaccinations...can't recall which vaccine that is. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal...I just want to be sure and send her enough money to cover any of the costs she might have. Thanks again!

Remember that today is a holiday in Colombia so don't be surprised if they tell you they haven't received it yet.

As for the vaccines, make sure your fiancée has enough money during her medical because every now and then the doctors will tell people their vaccines are too old and tell them they need to get new ones at their offce, even if they got them a few months before the medical.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Remember that today is a holiday in Colombia so don't be surprised if they tell you they haven't received it yet.

Diana

I just sent the email requesting information and status update. If they tell me they don't have it I will just try again in a couple days.

I was looking over the link from packet 3/4 that someone here shared with me, and there is a section I have a question on.

Here is the link (it's on page 2) http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/English_K1K2Packetdec7.pdf

"We can return most original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview. If you already included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies."

It goes on to list: Passport, Photos, Birth Cert., Pasado Judicial, Marriage Certificates,, etc.

Which of these need a "notorized copy" and which need a translation? My fiance (nor I) has never been married, so we have none of these documents. She just has the basic essentials documents...Pasado Judicial, Birth Cert., Passport, Passport size photos. Do we need to worry about this notarizing/photocopy stuff?

Also ...I just noticed the most recent DS 230 form I see expired April 30, 2012. Shouldn't they be making a new one available ASAP?

thanks

Edited by Ryan76

Timeline

I just sent the email requesting information and status update. If they tell me they don't have it I will just try again in a couple days.

I was looking over the link from packet 3/4 that someone here shared with me, and there is a section I have a question on.

Here is the link (it's on page 2) http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/English_K1K2Packetdec7.pdf

"We can return most original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview. If you already included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies."

It goes on to list: Passport, Photos, Birth Cert., Pasado Judicial, Marriage Certificates,, etc.

Which of these need a "notorized copy" and which need a translation? My fiance (nor I) has never been married, so we have none of these documents. She just has the basic essentials documents...Pasado Judicial, Birth Cert., Passport, Passport size photos. Do we need to worry about this notarizing/photocopy stuff?

Also ...I just noticed the most recent DS 230 form I see expired April 30, 2012. Shouldn't they be making a new one available ASAP?

thanks

Since the appointment package was written for people requesting K visas as well as CR/IR, they are referring to original documents that were sent to the NVC by CR/IR visa petitioners. But anyway, most of those documents are really easy to get in Colombia, so if the US embassy keeps any of them and you find out later on that you need it, all you have to do is go get another one and that's it.

As for the DS-230, just use whatever they have available even if it's expired.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Okay, so just to be clear there is nothing she needs to have translated into English either? I was trying to answer my own questions by looking through the forums and it seems there are people who do get copies / translations made of the birth certificate. I just want to make sure i'm doing everything perfect.

My fiancee is getting the birth certificate, pasado judicial and passport photos and I'm pretty much doing all of the other documents and evidence gathering. I guess if it's cheaper in colombia we could have her get a translation and notarized copy of her birth certificate in case she needs in in the US. Is there any possible reason she'd need a translation of her Pasado judicial?

Edited by Ryan76

Timeline

27 Days to Interview Date! Wohooo!! :dance::dance::dance:

Citizenship

6/24/2016: Mailed N-400 package via USPS from Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan

7/11/2016: Received NOA1 dated 7/5/2016

11/3/2016: Received email from USCIS-Seoul Office with Naturalization appt set for 11/30/2016

11/30/2016: Naturalization Interview on Naval Base Yokosuka, Japan. N-400 Approved

12/1/2016: Naturalization Ceremony

Timeline

Okay, so just to be clear there is nothing she needs to have translated into English either? I was trying to answer my own questions by looking through the forums and it seems there are people who do get copies / translations made of the birth certificate. I just want to make sure i'm doing everything perfect.

My fiancee is getting the birth certificate, pasado judicial and passport photos and I'm pretty much doing all of the other documents and evidence gathering. I guess if it's cheaper in colombia we could have her get a translation and notarized copy of her birth certificate in case she needs in in the US. Is there any possible reason she'd need a translation of her Pasado judicial?

You don't need translations of anything if they are written in Spanish or English but I do recommend getting her birth certificate translated just in case she needs it here in the US for something else, you never know when she might need it, same for her school transcripts and diplomas if she wants to continue her studies here in the US. Translations a lot cheaper in Colombia than here and remember nothing needs to be apostilled, a lot of translation places will tell people that a translation is not valid without an apostille but that is not the case in the US, so no apostilles are needed on anything.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Thanks for the great tips. You've been a tremendous help.

I'm hoping to finish all the paperwork Saturday, log on and set the appointment/pay the fee, then send the package to my fiancee. I'll then have the interview date and tell her to make the medical appointments for the week before her interview. I think i'm just about there, but as usual as soon as I learn something new I have another set of questions.

I've read through the packet they sent me and I don't see anything about an "appointment letter". Previously someone on VJ had told me I could print this out and fill in the BGT number, but I'm not finding this document anywhere. Any clarification on this?

Also, when i log on to create an account and set the interview/pay fee, I assume I need to ask my fiancee which DHL Office is closest to her house? Is there any way I can see this list before I log on so i can be prepared? We wanted to use her work address for DHL, but it sounds like we have to pick a specific location. (My fiancee lives near Portal 80 Centro Comercial if anyone here happens to be from that area.)

Timeline

Thanks for the great tips. You've been a tremendous help.

I'm hoping to finish all the paperwork Saturday, log on and set the appointment/pay the fee, then send the package to my fiancee. I'll then have the interview date and tell her to make the medical appointments for the week before her interview. I think i'm just about there, but as usual as soon as I learn something new I have another set of questions.

I've read through the packet they sent me and I don't see anything about an "appointment letter". Previously someone on VJ had told me I could print this out and fill in the BGT number, but I'm not finding this document anywhere. Any clarification on this?

Also, when i log on to create an account and set the interview/pay fee, I assume I need to ask my fiancee which DHL Office is closest to her house? Is there any way I can see this list before I log on so i can be prepared? We wanted to use her work address for DHL, but it sounds like we have to pick a specific location. (My fiancee lives near Portal 80 Centro Comercial if anyone here happens to be from that area.)

What the embassy is doing is contacting beneficiaries via email with the instructions package as an attachment. She can print this out and have her BGT number handy when going to get her lab work done and her medical.

As for the DHL question, I believe you can give them whatever address you want or choose to pick it up at the location of your choice.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Oh, I see. So the packet they emailed me with the instructions ....this IS the "appointment letter". Got it.

my fiancee just asked me another question. When she calls to set up the appointments for the medical exams, how quickly can they typically see her? I think she's just nervous that we might set the interview date, and then she calls to make the medical appointments and they won't have any openings for weeks.

Edited by Ryan76

Timeline

Oh, I see. So the packet they emailed me with the instructions ....this IS the "appointment letter". Got it.

my fiancee just asked me another question. When she calls to set up the appointments for the medical exams, how quickly can they typically see her? I think she's just nervous that we might set the interview date, and then she calls to make the medical appointments and they won't have any openings for weeks.

And that may happen, so as soon as you have your interview date, she needs to start calling the doctor to make the appointment for her medical exam. She needs to tell them when it has been scheduled so they know she needs an appointment ASAP. Also, remember that no appointment is needed for her lab work, but she does need to show up at the lab early in the morning so she can be in the first group of people they see.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

And that may happen, so as soon as you have your interview date, she needs to start calling the doctor to make the appointment for her medical exam. She needs to tell them when it has been scheduled so they know she needs an appointment ASAP. Also, remember that no appointment is needed for her lab work, but she does need to show up at the lab early in the morning so she can be in the first group of people they see.

Diana

Last night we scheduled the interview for July, 6th. The dates available weren't exactly what I expected. They had May 16 and 17 open for interview. We didn't feel this was enough time to finish everything and prepare her for the interview. After May 17, they have nothing open for 5+ weeks.

But it works for us, and we're just thrilled everything has gone smoothly and we have an interview date set.

But I do have a couple of questions in regards to the July 6 interview date.

All of my paperwork and preparation is 95% done...will it cause any issues that everything is dated to late April or early May? For example my paycheck stubs. I copied and labeled 3 paycheck stubs from March 31, April 14 and April 21. I also wrote an updated "intent to marry" letter, which is dated May 1. Same with phone records. I have included February, March, and April. Pretty much anything else in the packet with a date on it would be from April.

Will any of this be a problem since her interview isn't until July 6? Or will they raise an issue that I didn't give them a pay stub from June? My tax document will show I make enough money, but I'm curious how picky they will be with the dates on everything.

Also, now that we have the appointment we need to focus on the medical. My fiancee is really wanting to get it over with as soon as possible. I thought I read somewhere the medical appointments had to be within a certain time period before the interview..but now I can't locate that information. Can she go ahead and get this done soon or does she have to wait until closer to the interview date?

Timeline

Last night we scheduled the interview for July, 6th. The dates available weren't exactly what I expected. They had May 16 and 17 open for interview. We didn't feel this was enough time to finish everything and prepare her for the interview. After May 17, they have nothing open for 5+ weeks.

But it works for us, and we're just thrilled everything has gone smoothly and we have an interview date set.

But I do have a couple of questions in regards to the July 6 interview date.

All of my paperwork and preparation is 95% done...will it cause any issues that everything is dated to late April or early May? For example my paycheck stubs. I copied and labeled 3 paycheck stubs from March 31, April 14 and April 21. I also wrote an updated "intent to marry" letter, which is dated May 1. Same with phone records. I have included February, March, and April. Pretty much anything else in the packet with a date on it would be from April.

Will any of this be a problem since her interview isn't until July 6? Or will they raise an issue that I didn't give them a pay stub from June? My tax document will show I make enough money, but I'm curious how picky they will be with the dates on everything.

Also, now that we have the appointment we need to focus on the medical. My fiancee is really wanting to get it over with as soon as possible. I thought I read somewhere the medical appointments had to be within a certain time period before the interview..but now I can't locate that information. Can she go ahead and get this done soon or does she have to wait until closer to the interview date?

No, it doesn't matter that you have your documents dated in April because that is still fairly recent. In fact, most people who file for a CR/IR visa send everything to the NVC and three months later they have their interview, so you're good.

As for the medical appointment, now that you have your interview date you can make your appointment on a day that best works for you.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.