love2win

Speeding ticket N400

10 posts in this topic

Hello Visajourney Fam!!

Sorry if this is a repost but I'm getting concerned about traffic tickets since I saw lots of different opinions on here and now I'm very perplexed. Please answer if you have been in this same situation:

I answered NO to the question 16 : Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement

Question: Am i in trouble for saying NO? If yes should i mention it at the interview? Will that delay my case? What should i do? I had 2 small speeding tickets I believe it was around $175 4 years ago that I paid them all...

I called USCIS and they said something about if I wasnt arrested or if the ticket wasn't over $500 I'm fine but I want to ask my Visajourney Fam.

Thanks for your understanding and y'all have a wonderful weekend!

12/15/2005- Enter the US with F1 (Student Visa) Never been Out of Status

03/17/2006- F1 Visa expired but still in status

03/12/2008 - We got married

09/15/2008 - Filed for AOS (I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-693, I-765, I-864)

09/16/2008 - AOS Packet received and signed for by V CHIBA

09/23/2008 - Checks cashed

10/15/2008- Biometrics

10/25/2008- RFE :'(

11/04/2008- Current Status: Response to request for evidence received, and case processing has resumed.

12/09/2008- EAD, AP Approved!

03/04/2009- INTERVIEW!! APPROVED! DIEU MERCI!!!!!!!! Received STAMP also

12/04/2010- Lifting of conditions- Approved

12/19/2011- N400 mailed

12/27/2011- Check cashed

03/12/2012- Interview Letter Received dated

04/17/2012- Naturalization Interview-PASSED

04/24/2012- Oath Ceremony!

.png

Filed: Timeline

Don't sweat it, as long as you paid your fines on time. However, when interview time comes around, make sure you have proof they were paid off, just in case it becomes an issue (not likely, unless you bring it up yourself).

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

if you have a copy of the ticket and a check, receipt bring all the fines, receipts to the interview.over 500.00dollars they ask for proof that it was paid .

Filed: Other Timeline

If you have been cited, and if you got a ticket you have been cited, you need to disclose this as you were specifically asked about this. I don't understand why you would even ask about this.

If you failed to disclose this, you better correct this at the interview.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you

do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was

alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and

incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than

$500 and/or points on your driver’s license.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/chapter3.pdf

However, if you did mention any such incident, you would be required to provide the following:

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send:

An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send:

An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction

record or acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug

treatment or community service program), send:

An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident;
and

Evidence that you completed your sentence:

a. An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or

b. Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send:

An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest

or conviction, or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

NOTE:
If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor

concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to

consider.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

Edited by ☼

Thank you very much for the info!!!! :)

However, if you did mention any such incident, you would be required to provide the following:

12/15/2005- Enter the US with F1 (Student Visa) Never been Out of Status

03/17/2006- F1 Visa expired but still in status

03/12/2008 - We got married

09/15/2008 - Filed for AOS (I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-693, I-765, I-864)

09/16/2008 - AOS Packet received and signed for by V CHIBA

09/23/2008 - Checks cashed

10/15/2008- Biometrics

10/25/2008- RFE :'(

11/04/2008- Current Status: Response to request for evidence received, and case processing has resumed.

12/09/2008- EAD, AP Approved!

03/04/2009- INTERVIEW!! APPROVED! DIEU MERCI!!!!!!!! Received STAMP also

12/04/2010- Lifting of conditions- Approved

12/19/2011- N400 mailed

12/27/2011- Check cashed

03/12/2012- Interview Letter Received dated

04/17/2012- Naturalization Interview-PASSED

04/24/2012- Oath Ceremony!

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I answered yes to the question and noted my 3 traffic tickets from over the years. I got the yellow letter telling me to bring in my arrest records but I didn't manage to get any documentation other than my driving history report which showed nothing on it at all. My IO at interview did not want to see anything at all about the tickets. She just write on the application "traffic citations only" and moved on. Two of the tickets were very old and I have no idea how I would have gotten documentation about them at this point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Failure to pay a minor traffic traffic violation, even caught driving 57 in a 55 mph zone in most states results in taking away your drivers' license with even some local areas giving you a jail sentence as well.

Just seems to me if you can show your drivers' license to that IO that is making a big issue out of this should be proof enough you paid your fines. But not if your IO is a hardhead.

With the advent of Homeland Security, more than doubled the size of our police departments with nothing else to do except issue traffic violations, most common are a rolling stop or going through a yellow light. that turn red after a microsecond. So bad, our dinky little town had to elect a judge to handle the over 400 fines issued each week.

Yield signs were taken down with stop signs in resident neighborhoods where there isn't any traffic. Speed limits that were 35 are now 25, and 25 are now 20. What really kills me is on county roads, for years was 55, but with one broken down bar on a gravel road intersection, knocked that down to 35 mph for a full half a mile before and after it. And yes, there is cop hidden behind a tree. Or dinky little towns that state highways run through adding a four way stop sign on a street only a half a block long.

Can't help but feel they are there to get you, and your insurance company is looking for those fines so they can skyrocket your rates. And now your IO is making a big deal out of it as well.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Does this still apply, if i was pulled over, and not cited? Just given a warning? Are the Pd even going to have record of that? I'm just curious. I am planning on filing next year.

Does this still apply, if i was pulled over, and not cited? Just given a warning? Are the Pd even going to have record of that? I'm just curious. I am planning on filing next year.

Does what apply?

Law enforcement has a record of all field contacts. Will it show up during national agency check? Doubtful.

Don't sweat it. You got off with a warning, and leave it at that. As long as the officer didn't handcuff you, read you your rights, and put you in the back of his cruiser, you don't really need to mention it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.