SunnyCalifornian

Entering the US with an I 512 Advance Parole

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wanted to share my experience travelling outside the US while my permanent residence application (I 485) was pending. In other words, my experience when I entered the US with an I 512 Advance Parole - Travel Document. I hope sharing my experience will help others.

I entered the US while my application was pending about 20 times. I have to travel a lot for business reasons out of the country. My I 485 application took a long time to process, so I had to enter the US every time I travelled with an I 512 Advance Parole - Travel Document while my application was pending.

During that time I entered the US by airplane about 10 times, and the other 10 times I entered by land from Mexico.

I should note, I had a different experience when I entered by airplane vs land.

Airplane:

I had to fill-out an I 94 form in the plane like if I was entering with a Visa. Except that I left in blank in the I 94 form: “the city where the visa was issued”. Once I went to the immigration area, I always asked the person who was in charge of forming the lines, if I should go to the US Citizens/Permanent Residents line or to the Visitors line. Sometimes I was instructed by him to go to the Visitors line and other times I was instructed to go to the US Citizens/Permanent Residents line, but regardless of which line I was instructed to go, once it was my turn with the Immigration Officer (IO), he checked my passport, I 512 document (now included in the EAD card) and the I 94 Form, then he asked me one or two very simple questions, and then I was always instructed to go to secondary inspection. In secondary inspection, I waited approx 1.5-2.5 hours for my turn with an IO (a very long time in my opinion). Once it was my turn, they asked me between 10-50 simple questions. It took about 25-35mins. Also, some times, they also checked my bags thoroughly with x-rays, and physically. It took another 10-20 mins. After that, they stamped my passport and the bottom portion of the I 94 form with a “Paroled stamp”, the day’s date and the date paroled until (usually it was one year from the day’s date.) (The “Paroled stamp” is a different stamp than the regular “Admitted stamp” when you enter with a Visa.)

Land:

When I entered by land it was a different story:

When I entered driving my car:

When it was my turn with the IO., he didn’t ask any questions. Just checked my passport and the I 512 document (now it is included with the EAD card). One time the IO didn’t send me to secondary inspection of my car and I was good to go, but all the other times the IO sent me to secondary inspection of my car. I had to get out of my car and go to a room to wait for the officers to inspect the car. It took 20mins.- 50mins. Once they finished inspecting the car, I was good to go. They didn’t stamp my passport with any stamp, nor did they require an I 94 form to be filled out.

One time I entered by foot (walking by land) (I had left my car parked in the US side of the border):

Same line for US Citizens than visitors I passed to the IO booth, and he asked 2 simple questions, and that was it. No secondary inspection, no need to fill out I 94 forms, nor did they stamp my passport.

Also, I should note that you cannot apply to the Global Entry program (Frequent Traveller program) with an I 512 Advance Parole Travel Document. You have to wait until you have your Green Card to apply.

Hope it helps for those in a similar situation.

Naturalization Journey

Oct 07, 2014: Sent N-400 packet.

Oct 14, 2014: Received email and sms text that my N-400 application has been received as well the receipt number of my case.

Oct 15, 2014: Check cashed.

Oct 17, 2014: Received NOA. NOA Notice Date is: Oct 10, 2014

Oct 27, 2014: Received yellow letter: Pre-interview Case File Review. (Does NOT mention date of interview.)

Nov 05, 2014: Biometrics were done.

Dec 05, 2014: On-line status updated: In-line for interview.

Dec 29, 2014: On-line status updated: Interview scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date.

Jan 03, 2015: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview date: Feb 02, 2015.

Feb 02, 2015: Had my interview. I.O. verbally said, I had "passed" and should receive the Oath Ceremony notice within 90 days. I.O. did not give me anything in writing.

Feb 05, 2015: On-line status updated: Oath Ceremony scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date, time and location of ceremony.

Feb 07, 2015: Received Oath Appointment Notice. Oath date: Feb 13, 2015.

Feb 13, 2015: Oath taken. Received Naturalization certificate. Became a US Citizen!

ROC Journey

Nov 04, 2013: Sent I-751 packet.

Nov 08: Received NOA1. Receipt date: Nov 05, 2013.

Nov 16: Received Biometrics appointment for Dec 02.

Nov 18: Succesful walk-in for Biometrics: Done.

Mar 02, 2014: We relocated within the same city, but to a different zip code. Filed change of address of I-751 case pending and AR-11.

Mar 24: Approved!

Mar 31: 10-year GC arrived in the mail.

AOS Journey

Aug 12, 2010: Entered US with K1 visa.
Aug 13: Married.
Aug 16: Sent AOS, AP & EAD package by Fedex to the Chicago S. Dearborn St. address.
Sept 10: AOS case transferred to the California Service Center.
Sept 18: Received hardcopy letter that my AOS case was transferred to the CSC on Sept 10.
Nov 01: AP approved. EAD and AP are available on-line for the first time.
Nov 06: AP received! and Biometrics appointment notice received (scheduled for Nov 29).
Nov 29: EAD card production ordered. (My on-line status jumped from Initial Review to Card Production.)
Dec 10: EAD card received.
Mar 10, 2011: First RFE from the CSC. They lost my I-693! Had to re-do it.
Apr 15: Another RFE from the CSC. Bona fide marriage evidence. We provided the requested documents.
Sept 03: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview scheduled for September 27. Finally!
Sept 27: We had our interview. Very easy straight forward questions. Officer needed further processing for our case.
Jan 05, 2012: Case status update - Decision: Approved.
Jan 09: Received letter in the mail with Notice of AOS Decision: Approved.
Jan 10: Case status update - Card Production Ordered.
Jan 13: Green card arrived in the mail. Done with AOS!

It helps for my situation, as I plan to visit my family in Mexico by land as soon as I get AP. Thank you so much for your post!

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

Applied for AOS on 12/27/2011

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

08/30/2014: Sent package to Lockbox

09/02/2014: Package Received in Chicago

09/05/2014: Received NOA1 (Extension letter for 1 year)

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

12/05/2014: Finally receive Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

12/30/2014: Biometrics taken in El Paso, Texas ASC

05/08/2015: Approval notice received by email and text

05/10/2015: Approval notice received by mail

05/15/2015: GC in hand

-RoC processed at Vermont, approved in 248 days

Our Citizenship Journey

06/20/2015: Will be able to early file N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
One time I entered by foot (walking by land) (I had left my car parked in the US side of the border)
This is the optimal way to do it, si man. Thanks for an enlightening, valuable post.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Those seem like very long wait times in secondary when using AP to enter the country. What POE did you use?

The POE I entered by airplane was Los Angeles airport (LAX). I agree, that the wait times in secondary were very long.

Naturalization Journey

Oct 14, 2014: Received email and sms text that my N-400 application has been received as well the receipt number of my case.

Oct 27, 2014: Received yellow letter: Pre-interview Case File Review. (Does NOT mention date of interview.)

Dec 29, 2014: On-line status updated: Interview scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date.

Jan 03, 2015: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview date: Feb 02, 2015.

Feb 02, 2015: Had my interview. I.O. verbally said, I had "passed" and should receive the Oath Ceremony notice within 90 days. I.O. did not give me anything in writing.

Feb 05, 2015: On-line status updated: Oath Ceremony scheduled; notice was sent by mail with the date, time and location of ceremony.

Feb 13, 2015: Oath taken. Received Naturalization certificate. Became a US Citizen!

ROC Journey

Mar 02, 2014: We relocated within the same city, but to a different zip code. Filed change of address of I-751 case pending and AR-11.

AOS Journey

Aug 16: Sent AOS, AP & EAD package by Fedex to the Chicago S. Dearborn St. address.
Sept 18: Received hardcopy letter that my AOS case was transferred to the CSC on Sept 10.
Nov 06: AP received! and Biometrics appointment notice received (scheduled for Nov 29).
Nov 29: EAD card production ordered. (My on-line status jumped from Initial Review to Card Production.)
Apr 15: Another RFE from the CSC. Bona fide marriage evidence. We provided the requested documents.
Sept 03: Received Interview Appointment Notice. Interview scheduled for September 27. Finally!
Sept 27: We had our interview. Very easy straight forward questions. Officer needed further processing for our case.

Timeline

Did you have to give the original I-94 Form before your departure?

thanks

About 3 of the 10 times when I travelled out of the US by airplane, the airline employee that checked my boarding pass right when I boarded the airplane took the original I 94 Form. The other times I travelled out of the US they didn't. In other words, it depends on the airline employee.

Naturalization Journey

ROC Journey

AOS Journey

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for sharing. It will help us to help others when you are long gone . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

What if I can't catch my flight because they keep me too long for the second inspection since you said it probably takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours? Is there a way they would know I have a flight to catch?

It doesn't matter - you are responsible to make your own connections. My wife took almost three hours to clear customs at San Francisco.

Typically if you miss a connection due to being delayed at immigration, the airline will rebook you on the next available flight without charge, provided the journey is booked on a single ticket. Of course you could still be waiting hours or even overnight for that flight depending on the situation.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

• 1 month later...

I returned to the US yesterday using AP, so thought I'd just mention here what the process was like just to keep this topic current.

I had my advanced parole letter, no problem at all in Manchester airport - they are very familiar with the document and it says clearly that it is authorises a carrier to transport me without liability. In Dulles, the first desk inspection was a little confusing. I'd been told I didn't need I-94 on the plane since they don't do them anymore. I'd clearly read before I left that I needed one so I checked in the immigration hall.. 'No, we stopped using them 4 months ago', I was told. Got to the desk - 'you need an I-94!' Half way through finger-printing, the officer just gave all my documents to me. I asked if I was done, he said yes. Nothing about further inspection. I went to get my bags and custom inspection and was told there I have to follow the signs to B, again nothing about further inspection, just 'follow the signs to 'B'. Very little information and explanation - don't know if they simply assume we've done it before. However, secondary inspection staff were lovely - they pointed out that my alien registration number was wrong on the letter and I had the number of a Vietnamese woman!!! (Couldn't believe I missed that having scrutinized again and again my paperwork!) But they cleared it all for me and let me through - they even had a sense of humour about it! I'm going back to the UK in October so will contact USCIS and ask them to change it. No other evidence was required even though I'd taken a wallet full of documents and ID.

For those of you planning to use an AP, it seems to me that your experience will depend very much on which routes you take. Some smaller airports around the world seem unfamiliar with the document and that can cause some delay. For Manchester - Washington, the process is very straight forward. I was in secondary inspection less than 15 minutes. From landing on the aircraft it took 1 hour 5 mins to disembark, wait in immigration hall, first inspection, second inspection, customs, recheck bags, security hall. I doubt that's everyone's experience but it's good to know that even with a significant error (like the #A on my AP), it can still be a smooth outcome sometimes.

But check every last detail on documents and then check again.

01/03/2010: Met / 08/2010: Dating - VISITS: 07/2010: US / 09/2010: UK / 11/2010: UK / 12/2010: US / 03/2011: US / 07/2011: US / 10/2011: UK / 11/2011: UK / 12/2011: US / 02/2012: UK / 07/2012: UK / 02/15/2012 : Engaged

02/28/2012 : I-129F Filed
09/06/2012 : NOA2 ... APPROVED in 188 days, no RFE
09/28/2012 : Medical
10/12/2012 : Interview - APPROVED!
10/28/2012 : POE - Washington DC
11/10/2012 : Wedding

12/17/2012 : AOS application forms: I-485 / I-765 filed
02/15/2013 : I-765 approved
06/07/2013 : I-131 (AP) approved

09/04/2013 : I-485 approved

09/11/2013 : Received Green Card

06/09/2015 : Filed ROC application I-751

12/17/2015 : New Green Card received (10 Yr)

10/20/2016 : Filed N-400 application for Naturalization

07/07/2017 : Naturalization interview - approved!

08/11/2017 : Oath Ceremony - Became a USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for taking the time to relate your experience and for keeping this valuable thread current, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.