Sergi9

Belarus outlaws "clapping"

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

http://charter97.org/en/news/2011/7/3/40158/

Almost no one applaud after the dictator ended his speech. “No one was authorized to clap,” viewers of the parade joked on Twitter hinting at the recent statement by deputy chief of the Minsk police Ihar Yauseeu, who said after the silent protests that “only applause to war veterans and war participants” would be permitted on July 3.

Visitors of social networking sites report they heard on a policemen’s walkie-talkie that people had been detained and say about absurd security measures:

“Two men in mufti stand nearby. When I tried to clap, one of them came to me and said I’d better not do it. Lukashenka ended speaking, but even his typical supporters did not clap.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If they outlawed the clap, can syphilis be far behind, huh man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

http://news.yahoo.com/belarus-blocks-social-media-sites-holiday-110035921.html;_ylt=AuMu0OEYOf0aSlsbyrHFh5x0bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTNwYTlldDM2BGNjb2RlA3dlaWdodGVkY3QEcGtnAzI3ZjE5MWU2LTFmMmItMzE4Mi05OGUwLTYzYTdkY2ZmNjQyZARwb3MDNQRzZWMDbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHZlcgMwZjZkOTFlMC1hNTg0LTExZTAtOTM2Zi1mMDBmMTdmNWIwZTk-;_ylg=X3oDMTFxNGdmMG5kBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Belarus blocks social media sites on holiday

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — The authoritarian government of Belarus blocked access to Facebook, Twitter and a major Russian social networking site Sunday in an attempt to prevent opposition protests on a national holiday.

Thousands of police and special forces were deployed in the center of Minsk, the capital.

The respected rights group Vesna said the government also detained dozens of opposition activists, including Stanislav Shushkevich, Belarus' first post-Soviet leader. Many other activists were called in by the KGB and warned not to protest, Vesna spokesman Valentin Stefanovich said.

The government is trying to contain swelling public discontent as Belarus suffers its worst financial crisis since the fall of the Soviet Union.

President Alexander Lukashenko said Sunday that "an escalation of information intervention is under way" as part of plans drawn up in "the capitals of separate countries" to bring about a popular revolution.

"We understand that the goal of these attacks is to sow uncertainty and alarm, to destroy social harmony, and in the end to bring us to our knees and bring to naught the achievements of our independence," Lukashenko said in opening a military parade on Independence Day, the anniversary of the end of Nazi occupation in 1944. He wore a military uniform, as did his 6-year-old son.

Belarus is under pressure from Russia and the West. Moscow has been pushing for greater control over the Belarusian economy in exchange for loans to help Lukashenko's government weather the financial turmoil, while the European Union has threatened to expand sanctions imposed on Lukashenko as punishment for his crackdown on the opposition.

For the first time, Russian troops took part in the annual military parade. Russian state television, which broadcasts in Belarus, has supported the Belarusian protesters by showing their rough treatment at the hands of police.

A new opposition group called "Revolution by Social Networks" has held a series of Internet-organized rallies in about 30 cities and towns. The rallies have drawn thousands of protesters, who carry no signs and walk silently through the streets clapping in unison.

Eager to avoid protests on the national holiday, the government on Saturday began blocking access to the social media sites, including VKontakte, a Russian version of Facebook.

The opposition group appealed to Russian authorities on Sunday to respond to the Belarusian government's interference, activist Vyacheslav Dianov said.

Shushkevich returned to Minsk on Sunday after he and about 20 students were taken off a train from Vilnius, Lithuania, and held overnight.

Shushkevich, who had met with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton while in Vilnius, said he and the students were released with a warning not to take part in protests Sunday.

It was unclear whether protests would be held Sunday evening and if so where, given that activists were unable to communicate by Internet and the center of Minsk was essentially blocked off by police.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

http://news.yahoo.com/belarus-police-punch-kick-arrest-protesters-182344585.html;_ylt=Ai4AgPixtUldzQzyF1JDgGh0bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTM5bWw1aWU0BHBrZwMwMDkxMGQ4ZC0wODU5LTNlNjgtYWZmZS01MjU2N2MxMTcwM2MEcG9zAzYEc2VjA01lZGlhVG9wU3RvcnkEdmVyA2JiMzFkMTAwLWE4MDItMTFlMC1hZWZmLWFlNDgzMmQ5YmU0Nw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFxNGdmMG5kBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Belarus police punch, kick, arrest protesters

By YURAS KARMANAU - Associated Press | AP – 1 hr 32 mins ago

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Police in Belarus attacked peaceful protesters Wednesday, beating and detaining hundreds in the latest series of rallies calling for the ouster of authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko, witnesses and a human rights group said.

The demonstrators assembled in eight different parts of the capital, Minsk, and 10 other towns and cities in the former Soviet nation, clapping in unison as a show of solidarity against Lukashenko, who they accuse of exacerbating the financial crisis and ostracizing Belarus from the civilized world.

The Vesna human rights group estimated several thousand participants nationwide, with at least 300 detained — among them at least 10 journalists.

Public anger at Lukashenko is high as the country weathers its worst economic downturn since the fall of the Soviet Union 20 years ago.

In central Minsk, police beat up and arrested dozens of protesters outside the main ice skating rink, bundling them aboard unmarked buses. In one incident just prior to the rally, an Associated Press reporter saw about 20 police in civilian clothes jump out of a bus and set upon a group of five young people, knocking them to the ground before punching and kicking them in their faces and torso. The group was also whisked away. The reporter witnessed at least 30 arrests.

"The authorities have adopted a new tactic — now the arrests begin before the protest starts," Vesna spokesman Valentin Stefanovich told the AP.

Police formed human chains that swept across the squares where people had attempted to gather, grabbing the more stubborn of the protesters and throwing them in buses. Anyone who slowed from a brisk walk was considered a participant and seized.

In Grodno, about 185 miles (300 kilometers) from Minsk, about 500 people managed to assemble on the central square and engage in a few minutes of hand-clapping, but their joy was short-lived as police crushed the rally, rounding up 70, Sergei Syf, also of Vesna, told the AP.

"They beat up even women and children — they grab them by the hair, by the clothes, and throw them into police vans."

The protest wave is a new movement organized over the Internet by a group called Revolution by Social Networks. In response, authorities have periodically blocked access to some of the sites, but failed to achieve a total lockout. Wednesday's was the fifth protest by the grass-roots organization.

Earlier this week, Belarusian courts sentenced more than 100 protesters to five to 15 days in prison for taking part in unsanctioned rallies.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

http://news.yahoo.com/police-belarus-beat-detain-activists-rally-190517578.html

Police in Belarus beat, detain activists at rally

By YURAS KARMANAU - Associated Press | AP – 39 mins ago

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Police in Belarus on Wednesday beat up and arrested dozens of anti-government protesters during a banned rally in the capital of the authoritarian former Soviet nation calling for the ouster of President Alexander Lukashenko.

An AP reporter saw dozens of plainclothes police round up the protesters during the rally, kicking and punching them before bundling them into unmarked vans. It was the sixth rally in a series called "Revolution by Social Networks," a grass-roots movement that claims thousands of supporters nationwide.

The government has banned the rallies, which feature novel forms of non-vocal protest, and used brutal force and tear gas in eliminating resistance.

Hundreds of demonstrators set the alarms on their cell phones to go off at 8 p.m. in a gesture calling for fellow Belarusians to wake up and resist Lukashenko's government. Most of the protests thus far have featured hand-clapping.

Public discontent is swelling as Belarus experiences its worst financial crisis since the fall of the Soviet Union. The country recently devalued the national currency, causing panic buying of goods and huge lines at currency exchange offices.

Much blame is directed at Lukashenko, referred to by the U.S. as Europe's last dictator, for increasingly public sector salaries in pre-election populism last year when the country could ill-afford it.

Belarus is under pressure from Russia and the West. Moscow has been pushing for greater control over the Belarusian economy in exchange for loans to help Lukashenko's government weather the financial turmoil, while the European Union has threatened to expand sanctions imposed on Lukashenko as punishment for his crackdown on the opposition.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Just got off the phone getting the on the scene eyewitness report on this... you beat me to the draw !

what does your crystal ball say about what will happen with the banks there?

Just got off the phone getting the on the scene eyewitness report on this... you beat me to the draw !

what does your crystal ball say about what will happen with the banks there?

Word from Lithuania is that the IMF might bail Luka out of this mess. If they do, Iv'e lost any and all respect for that organization ...which I pretty much have already seeing how they did the same thing last time. They are worried about him selling out BY to Russia though.

These protest are a weekly thing now.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Word from Lithuania is that the IMF might bail Luka out of this mess. If they do, Iv'e lost any and all respect for that organization ...which I pretty much have already seeing how they did the same thing last time. They are worried about him selling out BY to Russia though.

These protest are a weekly thing now.

I thought IMF was done there. (they are no different than the Madoff crowd. I don't know how this will turn out but am worried about impact on our family there. Not sure it would be such a bad thing if Russia envelopes Belarus at this point. Its certainly easier to get in and out of Russian than Belarus and while I know a certain amount of corruption will occur .. a cash infusion from Russia who knows?

If Lukashenko had a brain in his head he would open up Belarus is an economic diamond in the rough.

Here is my economic wish list for Belarus

They should become the SPA/Medical Tourism hot spot for the EU. They have the facilities which need a paint job and the staff, and the tourism would be a huge cash cow for the economy.

Lukashenko has built a boat load of ICE Rinks, they could host European Hockey and Figure Skating events.

Tractors they are the John Deer of EU, they need to expand on that.

And of course they can build anything and have the manpower so opening up some new markets in manufacturing would help.

Edited by brokenfamily

I thought IMF was done there. (they are no different than the Madoff crowd. I don't know how this will turn out but am worried about impact on our family there. Not sure it would be such a bad thing if Russia envelopes Belarus at this point. Its certainly easier to get in and out of Russian than Belarus and while I know a certain amount of corruption will occur .. a cash infusion from Russia who knows?

If Lukashenko had a brain in his head he would open up Belarus is an economic diamond in the rough.

Here is my economic wish list for Belarus

They should become the SPA/Medical Tourism hot spot for the EU. They have the facilities which need a paint job and the staff, and the tourism would be a huge cash cow for the economy.

Lukashenko has built a boat load of ICE Rinks, they could host European Hockey and Figure Skating events.

Tractors they are the John Deer of EU, they need to expand on that.

And of course they can build anything and have the manpower so opening up some new markets in manufacturing would help.

Belarus has it's agriculture and some outdated yet solid manufacturing...tractors being #1 in that dept. Location is another positive for Belarus...it borders five different countries.

But please think first before you recommend Belarus becoming a Russian vassal state. Before you say that again, ask yourself why Belarus is in the fix it is...and make sure you use google while you do this. Then ask yourself why Belarusians don't speak Belarussian.

It's because the IMF doesn't want to see Belarus become a Russian vassal state run by Tsar Putin and the Kremlin mafia that the IMF is considering giving Luka a loan. No matter how bad things get in Belarus the people can pull themselves out of this fix by having a revolution. Belarusians ...all of them need to get off their Soviet loving arses and do something. It shouldn't all be on the younger generations shoulders.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

Belarus has it's agriculture and some outdated yet solid manufacturing...tractors being #1 in that dept. Location is another positive for Belarus...it borders five different countries.

But please think first before you recommend Belarus becoming a Russian vassal state. Before you say that again, ask yourself why Belarus is in the fix it is...and make sure you use google while you do this. Then ask yourself why Belarusians don't speak Belarussian.

It's because the IMF doesn't want to see Belarus become a Russian vassal state run by Tsar Putin and the Kremlin mafia that the IMF is considering giving Luka a loan. No matter how bad things get in Belarus the people can pull themselves out of this fix by having a revolution. Belarusians ...all of them need to get off their Soviet loving arses and do something. It shouldn't all be on the younger generations shoulders.

It would certainly be to Belarus's benefit to become open and part of EU more so than aligning with Russia. I didn't get the feeling there was a strong love of Mother Russia while I was there but I admit I don't know the whole story.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It would certainly be to Belarus's benefit to become open and part of EU more so than aligning with Russia. I didn't get the feeling there was a strong love of Mother Russia while I was there but I admit I don't know the whole story.

Have a weird and twisted relationship with the Mother Country...

Have a weird and twisted relationship with the Mother Country...

Mother Country ?

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/police-detain-dozens-protesters-belarus-171902765.html;_ylt=Auq.XNYbHQ3NGjbGwrBErA90bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTM5YnNwZzYyBHBrZwNkY2E5NDAwNC0zN2I0LTMyYTYtODhiZi02ZGI2MWVhNzIxNTUEcG9zAzgEc2VjA01lZGlhVG9wU3RvcnkEdmVyAzNmZjcwNGMwLWIzMDAtMTFlMC05ZmMxLWMwZTI5NGQ4M2FiYw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFxNGdmMG5kBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxldXJvcGUEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Police detain dozens of protesters in Belarus

AP – Wed, Jul 20, 2011

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Police in Belarus detained some 40 protesters Wednesday for clapping their hands and stomping their feet during a demonstration against the authoritarian policies of the president on the 17th anniversary of his rule.

An Associated Press reporter and photographer saw police beating some of those who were rounded up.

Public discontent is swelling as Belarus experiences its worst financial crisis since the fall of the Soviet Union. The country recently devalued the national currency, causing panic buying of goods and huge lines at currency exchange offices.

Much blame is directed at Alexander Lukashenko, whom the West dubbed "Europe's last dictator," for increasing public sector salaries in pre-election populism last year when the country could ill-afford it.

"After 17 years in power, Lukashenko has brought the country to a catastrophic situation, where people can't even clap their hands," said protester Artur Stankevich who was on his way to a central square in the Belarus capital, Minsk.

This was the ninth Wednesday in a row that protesters held a rally. Authorities have banned the demonstrations that feature novel forms of non-vocal protest — and thus are dubbed "silent" rallies — and have used brutal force and tear gas to eliminate resistance.

More than 1,500 protesters have been detained and sentenced to fines or 15 days in jail since the start of the "silent protests."

On Wednesday, about 200 protesters clapped their hands and stopped their feet at three locations in central Minsk. Plainclothes security officers and riot police interrupted each round of clapping and stomping by kicking and punching the protesters before forcing them into unmarked vans.

"Laugh and applause have become a cause for arrest in Belarus — that's the outcome of Lukashenko's rule," 20-year-old protester Dmitri Buyanov said while being detained.

Several organizers of the protests that have been organized through social networking websites were detained shortly before the rally, human rights group Vyasna said.

Lukashenko was inaugurated as Belarus' president in 1994 and has won three re-elections that Western observers said were flawed and unfair. After last December's vote, Lukashenko orchestrated a violent crackdown on opposition and critics that led to massive arrests and convictions.

He is increasingly under pressure from Russia and the West. Moscow has been pushing for greater control over the Belarusian economy in exchange for loans to help Lukashenko's government weather the financial turmoil, while the European Union has threatened to expand sanctions imposed on Lukashenko as punishment for his crackdown on the opposition.

sigbet.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.