fermat

Income Tax Goes Up when Reporting Excluded Income

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here is the situation. Married filing jointly. My US income: $60,000. My wife's foreing income: $60,000. I'm using TurboTax/TaxACT. First I report my US income. The refund shows $4500. Then I enter my wife's income (she passes the Bonafide Residence test, all hers gets excluded), yet my taxes go UP and the software shows I owe $180. I look at the details and my taxable income has not changed because all foreign income is excluded. I don't get why reporting her excluded income changes the bottom line. Maybe somebody can explain it to me like I'm a 5-year-old.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-09-2011 Sent both packages to NVC

03-28-2011 Case complete

03-31-2011 Expedite Request Sent

s-event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is the situation. Married filing jointly. My US income: $60,000. My wife's foreing income: $60,000. I'm using TurboTax/TaxACT. First I report my US income. The refund shows $4500. Then I enter my wife's income (she passes the Bonafide Residence test, all hers gets excluded), yet my taxes go UP and the software shows I owe $180. I look at the details and my taxable income has not changed because all foreign income is excluded. I don't get why reporting her excluded income changes the bottom line. Maybe somebody can explain it to me like I'm a 5-year-old.

I don't think you are providing enough information for somebody to be able to figure out what is going on in your case. I thought about replying to this in another thread but realized that the only way to see what is happening is to have all of the data that you are inputting into the tax software.

Are you sure that the US has a double tax agreement with Germany? If not the US may be able to tax Geman income. Does Turbo Tax ask is this income was earned through a domestic or international company? This may make a difference.

Timeline

Can you name a country where you are sure there exists a double tax agreement? Let me know and I will put it into the system and see if anything changes.

Are you sure that the US has a double tax agreement with Germany? If not the US may be able to tax Geman income. Does Turbo Tax ask is this income was earned through a domestic or international company? This may make a difference.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-28-2011 Case complete

s-event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/germany.pdf

It looks like there is an agreement. Maybe you should try paper filing, the programs sometimes don't work under abnormal conditions. (Like filing with an ITIN, I had this experience and we filed the paper forms)

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Austria

Marriage: 2010-11-19

I-130 Sent : 2010-12-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-01-05

I-130 NOA2 : 2011-05-09

Received NVC Case Number on 5/21,

Sent DS-3032 and paid AOS bill on 5/21,

Paid IV Bill on 5/25

Sent both packages on 6/1

Packages arrived 6/6

SIF & CC 6/20

Medical 7/25

Interview 8/9

Received visa 8/16

Flight to the US 10/4 (POE = IAD)

Timeline

I think I got it. The foreign income comes off the BOTTOM of your total income when used to calculate the tax. See page 36 of the 1040 instructions. Basically they had me calculate the tax of the combined foreign plus domestic income (say 100,000) was about $17,500. Then they had me calculate the tax on the $58k foreign income begenning at the lowest bracket. ~$8k. The tax owed is the difference between the two ~$9.5k. Somehow I thought that the foreign income would be deducted from the top and I would pay tax as if I made $42k.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-28-2011 Case complete

s-event.png

Timeline

Next Question: Is the same nonsense going to happen if I file Married Seperately? I don't see why everybody think its so much better to file jointly if the foreign spouse is working. I assume filing seperately she would be a nonresident and not have any tax liability.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-28-2011 Case complete

s-event.png

Timeline

Next Question: Is the same nonsense going to happen if I file Married Seperately? I don't see why everybody think its so much better to file jointly if the foreign spouse is working. I assume filing seperately she would be a nonresident and not have any tax liability.

You shouldn't have this problem unless you live in a community property state. Even if you live in community property state the your incomes might not be considered community property since you aren't living together. You are correct that if you file as Married Filing Separately and your incomes are separate property then your spouse will not have to file a return since she is a non-resident alien and did not have any U.S. sourced income.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Turbotax has a hotline, can speak to a TaxPro - have you called them ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

I think you are looking for the 2555 for foreign income exclusion, I used it to exclude my wife's income.

07/07/09 : Married

08/18/09: I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/20/09: I-130 Received by USCIS

08/25/09: NOA1

09/22/09: NOA2

10/05/09: Received case# and gave emails

10/07/09: Received DS-3032 and AOS email

10/09/09: Sent DS-3032 email to optin electronic filing

10/15/09: Paid both AOS & IV fees

10/16/09: Received email electronic filing accepted

10/18/09: Sent AOS via email

10/23/09: Received email that AOS was accepted and waiting for IV

10/27/09: Sent IV via email

11/10/09: Signon to payment failure

11/19/09: Received email for interview - December 14th

12/14/09: Approved for Visa

12/16/09: Received Visa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think you are looking for the 2555 for foreign income exclusion, I used it to exclude my wife's income.

Dan - that's the one !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I'm using that form. My question was concerning the calculation of taxes when using this form.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-28-2011 Case complete

s-event.png

Timeline

You should consider filing jointly with your spouse and instead of taking the Foreign Earned Income exclusion you should take a Foreign Tax Credit and compare it to the numbers that you got by claiming a Foreign Earned Income exclusion.

Timeline

I wish there was an easier way to remove data. Seems like every time I have to start over again or it gets messed up.

You should consider filing jointly with your spouse and instead of taking the Foreign Earned Income exclusion you should take a Foreign Tax Credit and compare it to the numbers that you got by claiming a Foreign Earned Income exclusion.

07-20-2010 NOA1

02-11-2011 NOA2

03-28-2011 Case complete

s-event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I ran your numbers manually (60K + 60K income) and indeed in your case married filing separately is better by about $3000 (assuming foreign income exclusion).

What happens is that your SO's foreign income pushes you into a higher income bracket. With lower income, it would be offset by standard deduction, exemption, making work pay credit and lower tax rate for married folks. But you guys made too much money :P

I'm using that form. My question was concerning the calculation of taxes when using this form.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.