Vatican: Stoning in Iran adultery case 'brutal'

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Vatican: stoning in Iran adultery case 'brutal'

By FRANCES D'EMILIO Associated Press Writer

2010 The Associated Press

Sept. 5, 2010, 7:54AM

VATICAN CITY — The Vatican on Sunday raised the possibility of using behind-the-scenes diplomacy to try to spare the life of an Iranian widow sentenced to be stoned for adultery.

In its first public statement on the case, which has attracted worldwide attention, the Vatican also decried stoning as a particularly "brutal" form of capital punishment.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said the Catholic church opposes the death penalty in general.

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani was convicted in 2006 of adultery. In July, Iranian authorities said they would not carry out the stoning sentence for the time being, but the mother of two could still face execution by hanging for adultery and other offenses.

Her son, Sajad, told the Italian news agency Adnkronos that he was appealing to Pope Benedict XVI and to Italy to work to stop the execution.

Lombardi told The Associated Press that no formal appeal had reached the Vatican, but hinted that Vatican's diplomacy might be employed to try to save Ashtiani.

Lombardi said in a statement that the Holy See "is following the case with attention and interest."

"When the Holy See is asked, in an appropriate way, to intervene in humanitarian issues with the authorities of other countries, as it has happened many times in the past, it does so not in a public way, but through its own diplomatic channels," Lombardi said in a statement.

In one of the late Pope John Paul II's encyclicals in 1995, the pontiff laid out the Catholic Church's stance against capital punishment.

Meanwhile, Italy's foreign minister, Franco Frattini, told the ANSA news agency that while Italy respects Iranian sovereignty and isn't in any way interfering, "a gesture of clemency from Iran is the only thing that can save her."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7187593.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why?

Stoning and execution of an adult woman who had sex with another adult promotes the peaceful nature of Iranian laws and Islamic culture.

Just like crucifying people for petty crimes or being of a different ethnic origin or religeous believe.

Or

Catholic Inquistion were millions were tortured and mutilated in the name of God.

did not all these acts promote the Peacefulness of their said religeons or cultures?

I mean I am no scholar but.................

If I am not mistaken this same unfortunate woman has also been sentenced to 99 lashes for a news photo, mislabeled as being her, in which another woman is shown not wearing a hijab in public. In Iran that is an actual crime, and it pertains to every woman regardless of their faith. Peaceful yes? Tolerant?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

I don't think the Catholic church should step in, it is not their business, they need to sort out the corruption within their house before wading in to other religious houses.

Yes! It is Iranian law and we should all shut up and let them do what they believe is right. This gal knew the law so she has 99 lashes and a good old fashioned stoning coming!

Are you for real?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Yes I am for real, the catholic church needs to get a grip on their religion before they can go interfering in other religions. Now note I said the church, not other organizations.

I have to wonder though, how would we react if Iran started interfering on how we punish adulterers etc, I know there would be an outcry and the the Iranian government would be told in no uncertain terms to keep their noses out. I do not agree with how Iran treats women or how crime is punished, but I am also not going to interfere in another countries Laws.

Stoning is for savage cultures.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Yes I am for real, the catholic church needs to get a grip on their religion before they can go interfering in other religions. Now note I said the church, not other organizations.

I have to wonder though, how would we react if Iran started interfering on how we punish adulterers etc, I know there would be an outcry and the the Iranian government would be told in no uncertain terms to keep their noses out. I do not agree with how Iran treats women or how crime is punished, but I am also not going to interfere in another countries Laws.

So if the Catholic Church adopted a policy that commanded parishioners to allow their priests to molest their children you would defend the Catholic Church's right to so since they would be following their religion as they saw fit?

Or are you saying the Catholic Church condones stoning as fit and proper punishment for adultery and it is hypocritical not to allow Muslims the right to administer the same punishment?

The 'punishment' in the US for adultery is generally divorce is it not?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

So if the Catholic Church adopted a policy that commanded parishioners to allow their priests to molest their children you would defend the Catholic Church's right to so since they would be following their religion as they saw fit?

Or are you saying the Catholic Church condones stoning as fit and proper punishment for adultery and it is hypocritical not to allow Muslims the right to administer the same punishment?

The 'punishment' in the US for adultery is generally divorce is it not?

I am saying that the Catholic church needs to fix things in their own yard before getting involved in others battles. There are other organizations out there to help this woman, which I believe they are trying to do. The Catholic church is a sham and should not be looked to with regards seeking a solution, they can't even sort their own Priests out, how they be expected to be taken seriously by other religions. Also the Catholic religion can not judge any other religion until they sort out their own MAJOR child abuse charges.

May be we should ask the Muslims to get involved with the Priest/Child Abuse cases and see how the Catholic church appreciates their interference, the Pope doesn't even like the media reporting it, why on earth would they like another religion interfering.

I think you need to get over yourself and see that it's not about the woman I am talking here, it's about the Catholic Church and fact they are not fit to sit in judgment of any other religion and their beliefs.

For the record I think most countries the world over would think the stoning of another to death it brutal and that is why there are agencies out there trying to protect this woman. But seriously asking the Catholic church in my opinion is just plain ridiculous.

Edited by BethandBilly

So only the perfect get to condemn backward brutality?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Any organization that protest this barbaric act is doing the right thing IMO...no matter what or who it is. If they Iranian government protested against brutal acts in another country at least it would be a step in the right direction. Better yet, how about you put yourself in this woman's shoes.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Any organization that protest this barbaric act is doing the right thing IMO...no matter what or who it is. If they Iranian government protested against brutal acts in another country at least it would be a step in the right direction. Better yet, how about you put yourself in this woman's shoes.

If I know the laws of my country and still go ahead and break them, then surely I understand that punishment that could happen. I am married for a second time, my first husband cheated and I left him, yes I would loved to have cut his balls off with a rusty knife but hey ho. Just for the record I would not cheat, I would leave, but as I do not know the laws in Iran I can not say if this was an option for this lady to do.

I do not disagree that what is happening to this woman is wrong and brutal, I just do not agree to the Catholic Church sticking their nose in, they have no moral ground to judge anyone. As I see it, now this is just my opinion, many people around the world have lost trust and respect for the Catholic faith due to the Molestation/Child Abuse claims and charges, I seriously think before another faith will take take that Catholic Church seriously again, the Catholic Church is going to have to deal with their own problems and severely. If I was the Iranian government I would laugh at the likes of the Catholic Church or any church that does not seek to protect children and prosecute the perpetrators, yet feels they have a right to judge them. I hope this does not set back any ground that has been achieved for the defense of this lady, I hope the Iranian government is open to Pope Benedict preachings, I hope that organization willing to fight for this woman achieve their goal, what more can I say, actually this will probably be my final comment on this subject.

Feel free to begin your character assignation of me, I don't mind at all, it's a shame that you can only see one side to the argument and not both, but again hey ho. Devils Advocate comes at a price.

So only the perfect get to condemn backward brutality?

No but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

It is a fact that adultery in Islam is punishable by stoning. This is something that every Muslim knows and by virtue of belief in Islam accepts. The process for proving adultery is not as easy as it seems. Four witnesses have to physically see the actual act with their eyes. They have to be truthful people and known to be truthful. This is Islamic law. Its clear that in practice it would be very hard for adultery to be proven unless a) the couple were intimate in the street or b) either party confesses freely.

In these countries that claim to follow the shariah there are always glaring problems with the execution of the punishments. Either there is no real proof or its just hear say so women are killed unjustly. Islam isn't unjust.

I think it is ironic that the Catholic church who spent years shoving their own systematic abuse of children by Priests under the rug has a need to speak out against a practice that, again, should be extremely difficult to execute if the proper rules were followed.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Feel free to begin your character assignation of me, I don't mind at all, it's a shame that you can only see one side to the argument and not both, but again hey ho. Devils Advocate comes at a price.

You don't see both sides of the argument. Suppose the Catholic Church does have an impact on what happens to this woman? You don't see it. You are too busy hating the Church for what it did then seeing what it might be able to do to help this girl.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

You don't see both sides of the argument. Suppose the Catholic Church does have an impact on what happens to this woman? You don't see it. You are too busy hating the Church for what it did then seeing what it might be able to do to help this girl.

Ok so you obviously did not read to the end of my post, so I will put it here for you

I hope the Iranian government is open to Pope Benedict preachings,

In that one sentence I am open to both sides, may be you didn't get that and if they can help this lady then that's great, but I really think the Catholic church needs to sort out their own dirty laundry before interfering in others. That is all.