one...two...tree

Local Tea Party Leader Who Suggested Shooting Hispanics Now Is Wanted By Cops -- Tweets: 'Arm Yourself'

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Police are searching for a local Tea Party leader in Ohio who is wanted for violating a temporary protection order. Meanwhile, speakers at a Tea Party rally organized by the man, Brian "Sonny" Thomas, have pulled out after he suggested in a tweet that he wanted to shoot Hispanic immigrants -- then blaming it on a Bee Gees song.

Thomas is the founder and president of the Springboro Tea Party in southwest Ohio. He faces a misdemeanor charge after recently going to the home of the mother of his son, in violation of a protection order. The woman had previously told police that their son had returned from Thomas's home with bruises.

Thomas had already been in hot water, after he tweeted during a march in support of immigration reform: "Illegals everywhere today! So many spicks makes me feel like a speck. Grr. Where's my gun?"

Thomas's son, and the son's mother, are Hispanic.

Thomas denied to the Dayton Daily News that he had ever bruised his son. He also said that his anger was focused on illegal immigrants, not legal American citizens like his son.

Thomas has written on his website that the tweet was "facetious." He also explained it to CNN yesterday by saying that he had been listening to the Bee Gees song "Spicks and Specks." "I made the reference to the song, not stopping to think of the era that it was produced from and taken out of context could be so offensive to some people," he said.

The Bee Gees song is not about race. It contains the line: "Where are the girls I left all behind, the spicks and the specks of the girls on my mind?"

In response to the tweet, several local Ohio pols, including former congressman Jim Traficant, announced that they would not participate in a Tea Party rally that Thomas has been planning to mark Tax Day.

The tweet wasn't the first evidence that Thomas may be unusually preoccupied with race. Among the links to the Springboro Tea Party site is one to a site called white-pride.org, which sells t-shirts expressing pride in various European ancestries. CNN found a picture on Thomas's MySpace page -- no longer available -- of him wearing a "white pride" t-shirt. The "White Pride" slogan is frequently used by white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

As police searched for him yesterday, Thomas tweeted: "Did You Know There are Over 300 Fema Concentration Camps in The United States". He linked to an extremist website telling readers to "resist the new world order." He also tweeted: "Professionals advise 'Arm yourself' When Seconds Count - Cops are minutes away."

The controversy over Thomas comes at a time when the Tea Party movement is seeking to present a more mainstream and less controversial image to the public. A group of Tea Partiers recently announced a new federation, designed in part to fight back against charges of racism and extremism.

link

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is so misleading? Did the leader of an Ohio Tea Party not make that suggestion in a tweet?

Ok, Clemson grad, read this part of the article and tell us why the police are looking for Thomas:

Police are searching for a local Tea Party leader in Ohio who is wanted for violating a temporary protection order. Meanwhile, speakers at a Tea Party rally organized by the man, Brian "Sonny" Thomas, have pulled out after he suggested in a tweet that he wanted to shoot Hispanic immigrants -- then blaming it on a Bee Gees song.

Thomas is the founder and president of the Springboro Tea Party in southwest Ohio. He faces a misdemeanor charge after recently going to the home of the mother of his son, in violation of a protection order. The woman had previously told police that their son had returned from Thomas's home with bruises.

Thomas had already been in hot water, after he tweeted during a march in support of immigration reform: "Illegals everywhere today! So many spicks makes me feel like a speck. Grr. Where's my gun?"

Then compare why the police are after his guy according to the title.

Local Tea Party Leader Who Suggested Shooting Hispanics Now Is Wanted By Cops -- Tweets: 'Arm Yourself'

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You forgot to mention that I also graduated from UCLA. But I wouldn't expect a Lawrenceville community college graduate to understand that. It is a bit misleading, but that does not make the heart of the story untrue. You're arguing semantics at this point, not the facts of this seemingly violent tea party leader....

Filed: Timeline

What is so misleading?

It is a bit misleading, but that does not make the heart of the story untrue. You're arguing semantics at this point, not the facts of this seemingly violent tea party leader....

Cman, did you really not see it, or are you the one who's arguing semantics?

Erm... It's the title of the article.

I don't think he was pointing fingers, just making a gen statement.

While I think something's deffo up with this guy, I also believe the title was totally misleading.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Cman, did you really not see it, or are you the one who's arguing semantics?

No, he can't and that's sad for someone claiming to be educated at some level and slamming everyone else as uneducated. I mean the subject isn't that complicated nor is the article that long but I knew he wouldn't figure it out.

You forgot to mention that I also graduated from UCLA. But I wouldn't expect a Lawrenceville community college graduate to understand that. It is a bit misleading, but that does not make the heart of the story untrue. You're arguing semantics at this point, not the facts of this seemingly violent tea party leader....

Rob apparently went to multiple institutions of higher learning on athletic scholarships so I'll break it down for him.

The title suggests Thomas is wanted by the cops because he tweeted some threats toward Hispanics. In fact, he's wanted for violating a protective order against his Hispanic wife and their son. I even gave you the relevant text so you wouldn't overtax your mind by having to read the whole article- another wasted effort on my part.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

No, he can't and that's sad for someone claiming to be educated at some level and slamming everyone else as uneducated. I mean the subject isn't that complicated nor is the article that long but I knew he wouldn't figure it out.

Rob apparently went to multiple institutions of higher learning on athletic scholarships so I'll break it down for him.

The title suggests Thomas is wanted by the cops because he tweeted some threats toward Hispanics. In fact, he's wanted for violating a protective order against his Hispanic wife and their son. I even gave you the relevant text so you wouldn't overtax your mind by having to read the whole article- another wasted effort on my part.

No, i'm slamming YOU and you alone for being uneducated and ignorant. No, i didn't go on any scholarship, but you keep trying to make things up to make yourself feel better there. Are you really trying to say that having multiple degrees is a bad thing? I guess your McDonalds U diploma means oh so much more. :rolleyes:

I was arguing that it's not completely misleading because has been wanted by the police for his actions. Yes, the title misrepresents what for, but the fact remains that he was in trouble with the law for his tweets about arming himself against immigrants.

The tweet wasn't the first evidence that Thomas may be unusually preoccupied with race. Among the links to the Springboro Tea Party site is one to a site called white-pride.org, which sells t-shirts expressing pride in various European ancestries. CNN found a picture on Thomas's MySpace page -- no longer available -- of him wearing a "white pride" t-shirt. The "White Pride" slogan is frequently used by white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

As police searched for him yesterday, Thomas tweeted: "Did You Know There are Over 300 Fema Concentration Camps in The United States". He linked to an extremist website telling readers to "resist the new world order." He also tweeted: "Professionals advise 'Arm yourself' When Seconds Count - Cops are minutes away."

link

So, the title would have been factual had it only said "Local Tea Party Leader Who Suggested Shooting Hispanics Now Is Wanted By Cops " and left off "Tweets arm yourself". Is it a stretch? Yes, but it's not far from what he was suggesting.