bobby_kvisa

Estimated Total Cost of K1 Visa

23 posts in this topic

I'd say all in all (flights included, moving my things from England, medical, vaccinations) the cost has been around $4000 from starting the K1 to the AOS.

Not a small amount of money.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'd say all in all (flights included, moving my things from England, medical, vaccinations) the cost has been around $4000 from starting the K1 to the AOS.

In our case, it was two K beneficiaries coming from China, so the total expense including my two trips to China (mostly staying with family instead of hotels) and travel to the US for two was right at $10,000 but that was all before the fee increases. For a single beneficiary an overall cost with two trips abroad is likely to run 4 to 6 thousand depending on travel expenses and incidentals. Canadians in border-town relationships would be significantly less expensive.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

In our case, it was two K beneficiaries coming from China, so the total expense including my two trips to China (mostly staying with family instead of hotels) and travel to the US for two was right at $10,000 but that was all before the fee increases. For a single beneficiary an overall cost with two trips abroad is likely to run 4 to 6 thousand depending on travel expenses and incidentals. Canadians in border-town relationships would be significantly less expensive.

Ex'acto mondo. So dependent on personal circumstances. It's very difficult to estimate. It may have even been more than I quoted...things to do with immigration (another $200 for my things to clear customs next week) are yet to be figured in to the final figure.

It's a romantic and financial commitment...no doubt.

K1

AOS complete!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
What is the estimated total cost of the K1 Visa - broken down by each portion of the process? Here is what I know so far, as of October 28 2009.

I-129F Petition - $455

Non-Immigrant Visa Processing Fee - $131

Medical Examination - ??? (not sure what range to expect)

Miscellaneous Fees for Fingerprinting, Photos, Mailing Documents & Travel - varies ($50 - $125)

Please let me know if I am missing anything !

I think you are light on your misc. fees. Translations? Easily $100, maybe more depending on how many documents she has. Express mailing can be more than $100 for one delivery for DHL or Fedex, check with them about packages to India, at minimum you will need to send the I-134 for the interview. Police certificate? Cheap in some countries, not so in others.

AOS fee when she arrives...$1010.00

What the #^@% is AOS?

In this context, "adjustment of status" but in another context, "affidavit of support". Your question indicates you have yet to study the guides and did not go to this link provided earlier, where the names of the fees are not abreviated. http://www.fianceandspousevisa.com/FEES.html

I see... Hey, according to that link, a K1 and a K3 take about the same amount of time to process - but K3 can be done for a lesser price. I have always been told that people choose to go with K1 because it is faster. The webpage you linked us to was last updated on October 16, 2009 - very recently. Are those time frames accurate? And if so, what is the true advantage of a K1 over a K3 (if one USC simply does not care which country he marries in)? I mean, if they take the same amount of time, couldn't I use the savings from a K3 to send to my friend to handle some expenses on her end? I mean, it looks like you avoid that AOS fee with a K3. Can some of you tell me WHY you picked a K1 over a K3? Thanks.

06/20/2002 - Introduced through her Aunt
07/05/2002 - Correspondence begins and continues for years; friendship and feelings slowly but surely grow stronger.
05/12/2009 - Met in Philippines! Stayed for two weeks and had a great time. Can't wait to go back!
10/11/2009 - She said YES! (became engaged)

USCIS
10/29/2010 - Mailed I-129F
11/08/2010 - Check cashed
11/11/2010 - Received NOA1 dated 11/05/2010 (My case landed in Vermont - #######!)
11/15/2010 - Touched
04/05/2011 - It's been 5 months and not a peep from USCIS/VSC :-(
04/19/2011 - Touched/Text Message and Email this AM (APPROVED!)
04/22/2011 - Hard copy NOA2 received (166 days)

US Embassy
(All dates are Philippines dates)
05/20/2011 - Birth Certificate error cleared up
06/03/2011 - Fiancee waiting for her Passport
06/03/2011 - Not a peep from the Embassy (Manila)
07/21/2011 - Passport obtained
07/22/2011 - Interview scheduled 8/4
08/01/2011 - Fiancee and family on first flight EVER, to Manila
08/02/2011 - Medical
08/03/2011 - Medical (Passed, no concerns)
08/04/2011 - Interview! Passed! (they think)
08/24/2011 - Received Embassy email indicating fiance's visa has been issued!
08/31/2011 - 09/13/2011 Philippines Vacation!
09/14/2011 - Arrived together in Dallas, TX!

11/11/2011 - Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I see... Hey, according to that link, a K1 and a K3 take about the same amount of time to process - but K3 can be done for a lesser price. I have always been told that people choose to go with K1 because it is faster. The webpage you linked us to was last updated on October 16, 2009 - very recently. Are those time frames accurate? And if so, what is the true advantage of a K1 over a K3 (if one USC simply does not care which country he marries in)? I mean, if they take the same amount of time, couldn't I use the savings from a K3 to send to my friend to handle some expenses on her end? I mean, it looks like you avoid that AOS fee with a K3. Can some of you tell me WHY you picked a K1 over a K3? Thanks.

You do NOT avoid adjustment of status (AOS) fees with a K-3... A K-3 must also navigate that process...

You do avoid AOS fees with a immigrant visa (IR/CR)...

A K-1 is typically said to be faster because theoretically you can apply TODAY (assuming you have met) rather than wait for a marriage event to occur. Also, in some countries it is not so easy to marry without "jumping" through many hoops that causes additional delays beyond the marriage event

YMMV

What is the estimated total cost of the K1 Visa - broken down by each portion of the process? Here is what I know so far, as of October 28 2009.

I-129F Petition - $455

Non-Immigrant Visa Processing Fee - $131

Medical Examination - ??? (not sure what range to expect)

Miscellaneous Fees for Fingerprinting, Photos, Mailing Documents & Travel - varies ($50 - $125)

Please let me know if I am missing anything !

I think you are light on your misc. fees. Translations? Easily $100, maybe more depending on how many documents she has. Express mailing can be more than $100 for one delivery for DHL or Fedex, check with them about packages to India, at minimum you will need to send the I-134 for the interview. Police certificate? Cheap in some countries, not so in others.

AOS fee when she arrives...$1010.00

What the #^@% is AOS?

In this context, "adjustment of status" but in another context, "affidavit of support". Your question indicates you have yet to study the guides and did not go to this link provided earlier, where the names of the fees are not abreviated. http://www.fianceandspousevisa.com/FEES.html

I picked the K1 route because in all the abnormality of long distance dating, the one thing I did want to follow the "traditional" route on was starting our married life....together. That was our choice. I get why other people do things differently.

And FYI - you do not avoid the AOS with a K3.....you avoid AOS with the CR-1. You should read the guides here and do some research.

K1

AOS complete!

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You do NOT avoid adjustment of status (AOS) fees with a K-3... A K-3 must also navigate that process...

You do avoid AOS fees with a immigrant visa (IR/CR)...

A K-1 is typically said to be faster because theoretically you can apply TODAY (assuming you have met) rather than wait for a marriage event to occur. Also, in some countries it is not so easy to marry without "jumping" through many hoops that causes additional delays beyond the marriage event

Exactly, K1 is generally faster because most people considering it, can file "now" rather than waiting. Most people (I'm an exception) are not comfortable marrying on the first in person visit, so many who haven't met yet go the K1 route for similar reasons. For the vast majority of couples, K3 is just an expensive alternative with no redeeming qualities. It used to be an excellent option (We used it in 2006.) but it's lost its usefulness in most cases.

I won't speak for the website but there isn't a table for total K3 fees presumably because they don't recommend K3. Their FAQ page here... http://www.fianceandspousevisa.com/Visa_FAQ.html ... explains why.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.