SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Tried booking an interview today, but the only dates available were Nov 18 (three available spots!) and Dec 1. My guess is I have to wait for new dates to open.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Yay....finally here!! Been a loooong journey ( 1 year) but, I'm finally here. Left Norway with mixed emotions.. felt bad for leaving my family and my kids (they are grown up). I'm sure I'll feel homesick every now and then, but the knowledge that I have a return ticket going home to see my family in June make things easier. Arrived on Friday the 11th, POE went smooth, except from me waiting in the wrong line for 20 minutes.. then I had to wait in another line for about 30 minutes.. Once I got to the officer it went very smooth. :dancing: No harassment what so ever.. I just handed over my passport and envelope,.. she asked if the address was correct and if she could have my husbands phone number. Then she took my fingerprints and asked me to follow her into another room. I was asked to sit down and wait,..which I did for about 5 minutes. She came back, asked me to read and sign information about removal of conditions,.. and I was free to go. Picked up my bags and finally got to be in my husbands arms again. JOY!!! (L)(L):luv:

04/28/2008 Met online/Facebook

09/18/2008 Visited for the first time :luv:(L)

09/18/2015 Got married (L)(L)

USCIS

11/17/2015 I-130 filed

11/23/2015 NoA 1 received

03/15/2016 RFE requested

03/22/2016 RFE hard copy received (request for original divorce decree from 1991)

05/09/2016 RFE received at Texas Service Center

05/19/2016 NOA 2 (I-130 approved by USCIS)

NVC

06/07/2016 NVC received

06/22/2016 NVC case number assigned

06/23/2016 NVC welcome letter by e-mail/AOS bill

06/27/2016 D-261 submitted (choice of agent)

07/09/2016 AOS bill paid

07/19/2016 IV bill paid

07/21/2016 IV application submitted

07/26/2016 AOS and supporting documents sent

07/29/2016 IV and AOS scan date

08/29/2016 Case Completed at NVC

Consulate

09/13/2016 Interview letter received

10/04/2016 Medical exam

10/24/2016 Interview - Approved

10/31/2016 Visa in hand

USA

11/11/2016 POE Detroit

12/01/2016 I have a job!! Because of DHS mess up with my name, I will start my new job in January.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yay....finally here!! Been a loooong journey ( 1 year) but, I'm finally here. Left Norway with mixed emotions.. felt bad for leaving my family and my kids (they are grown up). I'm sure I'll feel homesick every now and then, but the knowledge that I have a return ticket going home to see my family in June make things easier. Arrived on Friday the 11th, POE went smooth, except from me waiting in the wrong line for 20 minutes.. then I had to wait in another line for about 30 minutes.. Once I got to the officer it went very smooth. :dancing: No harassment what so ever.. I just handed over my passport and envelope,.. she asked if the address was correct and if she could have my husbands phone number. Then she took my fingerprints and asked me to follow her into another room. I was asked to sit down and wait,..which I did for about 5 minutes. She came back, asked me to read and sign information about removal of conditions,.. and I was free to go. Picked up my bags and finally got to be in my husbands arms again. JOY!!! (L)(L):luv:

Welcome glad the POE was good :)

Timeline

I'm bombarding this thread with questions lately, but... For all the Norwegians on here - I need your help! On the checklist I was provided by the embassy, it says I need to provide military records: "MILITARY RECORDS: A certified copy of any military record is required, either stating that the military service has been completed, or that the applicant is exempt from serving". What kind of documents did you gather for this requirement? I've never served in the military and I was never even asked to do "førstegangstjeneste". I have no idea where to get a document that says I'm exempt from serving. This requirement about the military records wasn't on the checklist I was provided by a Swede in this thread a while ago, so I was not prepared for it. Must be a thing only Norwegians have to do, for some reason... I appreciate your help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I'm bombarding this thread with questions lately, but... For all the Norwegians on here - I need your help! On the checklist I was provided by the embassy, it says I need to provide military records: "MILITARY RECORDS: A certified copy of any military record is required, either stating that the military service has been completed, or that the applicant is exempt from serving". What kind of documents did you gather for this requirement? I've never served in the military and I was never even asked to do "førstegangstjeneste". I have no idea where to get a document that says I'm exempt from serving. This requirement about the military records wasn't on the checklist I was provided by a Swede in this thread a while ago, so I was not prepared for it. Must be a thing only Norwegians have to do, for some reason... I appreciate your help!

I'm assuming you are a female born before førstegangstjenese became mandatory for women? If so, you won't be needing any military records (I was fine without).

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

I'm assuming you are a female born before førstegangstjenese became mandatory for women? If so, you won't be needing any military records (I was fine without).

Yes, I am. I did get a letter from the military ("sesjon del 1") back in high school, but they never got back to me. Thanks, that's good to know. So they won't be asking for any military documents since I am born before 1997?

Timeline

Yes, I am. I did get a letter from the military ("sesjon del 1") back in high school, but they never got back to me. Thanks, that's good to know. So they won't be asking for any military documents since I am born before 1997?

So you were born when it was optional/you got invited? That makes me a little uncertain, but I think it's fine as long as you haven't skipped out on anything mandatory.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Timeline

So you were born when it was optional/you got invited? That makes me a little uncertain, but I think it's fine as long as you haven't skipped out on anything mandatory.

Yes, I did get invited. Everyone at my age got invited, but very few proceeded to physical tests and interviews. I certainly did not skip out on anything mandatory. Might have to contact the embassy for further advice though...

Timeline

Yes, I did get invited. Everyone at my age got invited, but very few proceeded to physical tests and interviews. I certainly did not skip out on anything mandatory. Might have to contact the embassy for further advice though...

I think you'll be fine. This is what the US-Norway reciprocity schedule says about military records: Available. A service record, tjenesteattest, may be obtained from Vernepliktsverket by phone: 815 55 580; by email: postmottakvpv@mil.no; or by writing to Vernepliktsverket, Postmottak, 2617 Lillehammer, Norway.

Since you were never enrolled in any training/testing, you probably have no record. You could contact them and ask I guess.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Timeline

I think you'll be fine. This is what the US-Norway reciprocity schedule says about military records: Available. A service record, tjenesteattest, may be obtained from Vernepliktsverket by phone: 815 55 580; by email: postmottakvpv@mil.no; or by writing to Vernepliktsverket, Postmottak, 2617 Lillehammer, Norway.

Since you were never enrolled in any training/testing, you probably have no record. You could contact them and ask I guess.

I see! I have contacted them by email. Thank you so much for your help! (F)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

That's great, Wenche! Congratulations! (L)

Welcome glad the POE was good :)

04/28/2008 Met online/Facebook

09/18/2008 Visited for the first time :luv:(L)

09/18/2015 Got married (L)(L)

USCIS

11/17/2015 I-130 filed

11/23/2015 NoA 1 received

03/15/2016 RFE requested

03/22/2016 RFE hard copy received (request for original divorce decree from 1991)

05/09/2016 RFE received at Texas Service Center

05/19/2016 NOA 2 (I-130 approved by USCIS)

NVC

06/07/2016 NVC received

06/22/2016 NVC case number assigned

06/23/2016 NVC welcome letter by e-mail/AOS bill

06/27/2016 D-261 submitted (choice of agent)

07/09/2016 AOS bill paid

07/19/2016 IV bill paid

07/21/2016 IV application submitted

07/26/2016 AOS and supporting documents sent

07/29/2016 IV and AOS scan date

08/29/2016 Case Completed at NVC

Consulate

09/13/2016 Interview letter received

10/04/2016 Medical exam

10/24/2016 Interview - Approved

10/31/2016 Visa in hand

USA

11/11/2016 POE Detroit

12/01/2016 I have a job!! Because of DHS mess up with my name, I will start my new job in January.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi all,

I am seeking advice on which visa to pursue.

- I am a US-born American citizen married to a Dane. I am in my 40s and have had no marriages prior.

- I married my partner in Vancouver, BC, Canada in July 2016. We got married in Canada because he had a B1/B2 and C1/D Crew visas (he's a flight attendant) at the time that prevented us from being married in the US.

- We had two additional ceremonies in Seattle (my hometown) and in Vegger, Denmark (his hometown).

- He is currently visiting me in California and, because of his flight benefits, has the opportunity to come and go as he wishes

- I am financially capable of supporting the two of us

- We plan to reside in Seattle.

The question I have is, is it better to pursue a K3 or a IR/CR 1? Our greatest concern is him being able to come and go while the visa application occurs. We would have to be separated by long periods of time or he being completed excluded from entering the US.

Thank your advice. We are ready to begin our application process immediately and have obtained all necessary documents for either option.

Edited by aphroman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi all,

- I am a US-born American citizen married to a Dane. I am in my 40s and have had no marriages prior.

- I married my partner in Vancouver, BC, Canada in July 2016. We got married in Canada because he had a B1/B2 and C1/D Crew visas (he's a flight attendant) at the time that prevented us from being married in the US.

- We had two additional ceremonies in Seattle (my hometown) and in Vegger, Denmark (his hometown).

- He is currently visiting me in California and, because of his flight benefits, has the opportunity to come and go as he wishes

The question I have is, is it better to pursue a K3 or a IR/CR 1? Our greatest concern is him being able to come and go while the visa application occurs. We would have to be separated by long periods of time or he being completed excluded from entering the US.

Thank your advice. We are ready to begin our application process immediately and have obtained all necessary documents for either option.

He can either stay and adjust status now he just won't be able to leave the country for about 3 months or work there.

Or you can do the CR-1/IR-1 visa. it takes about a year but he is free to travel to and from USA Denmark in that time.

They don't do K-3 visa's anymore.

Timeline

Hi all,

The CR1 visa (I130 petition) is the one for you. During the processing time (until visa in hand), he can continue travelling on his current visa (adhering to whatever the requirements are). The K3 visa is rarely ever granted anymore. To petition for a K3 (I129F), you would have to already have a I130 petition in process - but these days the processing times for both petitions are the same, and the K3 cases are usually closed once both petitions are approved.

Here's the VJ guide that can help you get started with the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Good luck!

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.