Fandango

Same Sex Marriages

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203215

RM 00203.215 Changing Numident Data - Other than Name Change

Sex:

Sex-Change Operation: The surgeon or attending physician must provide a letter verifying the sex change surgery has been completed. All documents must clearly identify the number holder.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

PrettyGirls...CUTE puppy!!! :star:

:ot2:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

30 some odd years ago, my marriage to Nani would have been unlawful in, I believe, a few states here in the US. It would have been unlawful for no other reason than that we happen to be of different color. And there were apparently majorities at the time that felt it right to keep it that way. A lot of narrow-mindedness seems deeply rooted around here. That doesn't make any of this discrimination right or legitimate. Rather than feeding into and off of the public's fears, the political elite should lead the country into recognizing that what is happeneing is nothing but discrimination.

But it ain't gonna happen until there's a gay equivalent of the late Dr. King rising up. That minority has dreams, too, I would think.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

wow. I am in awe that the governmnet allows it for sex changes. That's more progressive than I imagined we were...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

even before Canada allowed gay marriage, they allowed same sex immigration sponsorship as under common-law relationships. Same sex relationships have been recongnized under common-law in Canada for a while.

of course, common-law/conjugal relationships are a bit more difficult to prove during immigration applications, but easy enough that it can be done.

I have often thought of same sex partners where one partner may be American and the other from somewhere else. If for whatever reason the American cannot/doesn't want to move to their partner's country even if they allow same sex partnership, there are other visa options for the non US partner. However, if I were the non-US partner I'd be suspicious of my partner who refused for any reason (other than legal inadmissability) to move to my country, as I would have been if for some reason my husband had outright refused to move to Canada.

Just like any other couple who has to consider immigration as part of their future, they have to determine what is best for them. In some cases, a third country may also be the answer. But if the US is one of those countries, options are limited.

I think its sad in general that the US is so discriminatory to same sex relationships, and that gays and lesbians are treated by some people as if they have a communicable and/or treatable disease.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

wow. I am in awe that the governmnet allows it for sex changes. That's more progressive than I imagined we were...

However, you have to read the fine print.

IMPORTANT: Numident sex data is used for identification purposes only. Do not use the sex data shown on the Numident to determine whether a valid marital relationship exists in a claims situation. Rather, consult appropriate State law to make a determination whether a valid marital relationship exists.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not exactly related, but the questions karo was asking made me think of this. I seem to remember a big legal case somewhere in Texas when I was living there four or five years ago that had to do with a same-sex couple that wanted to marry where one of them had gone through a sex-change. I cannot recall whether it was a male-male relationship where one had been born female, or a female-female relationship where one had been born male. But I am pretty sure that the court ruled that they were legally allowed to marry because according to their birth certificates, they were of opposite sexes.

Would be interesting to see how such rulings would apply in terms of immigration cases.

I'll see if I can find any old news articles about this because it's entirely possible that I'm remembering the facts wrong.

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, so here's a link to an article about the couple I mentioned in the above post (on that note, why is it sometimes you can edit posts but not always?).

Lesbian wedding allowed in Texas by gender loophole.

I am, however, having difficulties finding any information on whether they were permitted to remain married or if the Texas government has since adapted it's laws to deal with this so-called loophole.

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
OMG! <pukes>

:thumbs: hehhehe :devil:

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

OMG! <pukes>

:thumbs: hehhehe :devil:

grow up!

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!